Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Favorite Grooming Tools?

I've lost Zander's grooming bag. I have no idea where it could possibly be, but I'm assuming I lost it sometime during our trip last month. As such, I'm now shopping again.

So, what are your favorite tools? Or what would you suggest for Zane? I need a brush/comb/curry something or other. Mostly looking at a fluffy undercoat, and tons of it. I hate the Furminator. I also do some minor trimming on his feet and underline, but I've been using some basic shears that I cut my own hair with until now.

Also nail clippers.

Really, really STRONG nail clippers. I have the orange ones. They aren't strong enough. Zane has nails made of steel. Or diamonds.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Mars coat king. Mines more for stripping, but they make carding ones for fluffy undercoats.

Have you thought about dremelling over clipping nails? Smudge's are pretty hard and a pain to clip. Dremelling made my life easier, also no sharp edges post clip.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Mars coat king. Mines more for stripping, but they make carding ones for fluffy undercoats.

Have you thought about dremelling over clipping nails? Smudge's are pretty hard and a pain to clip. Dremelling made my life easier, also no sharp edges post clip.
Unfortunately, his nails are so tough that it takes absolutely ages to even get one foot done. I like dremels for rounding off the edges, but they are pretty useless for getting the length off.

And I'll look up Mars Coat King, thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

- Dremel
- Zoom groom (rubber massaging brush I use for shampoo and just everyday brushing)
- Undercoat rake (I like this one http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-W611...undercoat+rake the "teeth" rotate so it doesn't get snagged
- The self cleaning slicker brush is the best thing ever. I love the slicker but HATED cleaning the **** things. This makes it so easy
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Self-Cl...=slicker+brush
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Ball Thrower

I have to admit I love the zoom groom for getting out loose undercoat. It works really well in the bath to get soap and conditioner deep into the coat. Other than that I use a greyhound comb, bristle brush and mars coat king.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

Undercoat rake for fluffy undercoat. And I got a pair of those Conair/Yellow Dog clippers and they aren't too bad.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

I have the undercoat rake Fran linked. Its the only brush I use now. It is the shiz!
http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-W611...undercoat+rake

Other than that just use the orange handled Miller's Forge nail clippers and horse spray detangler for Scout's fluffy behind parts.

I do have a slicker and a fine comb, but I never use them. Before the rake I would brush with the slicker. It worked okay, but the rake is waaaaay better.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

I got the rake today at Petco, but they only had the single line of spokes. It's okay, but I'll probably pick up the double later. I do like it, though! And Zander loves it. Thanks for that suggestion!

I'm still thinking about the other one. It looks like it would strip and shred his coat more than get the undercoat out. And I found out I still need a basic comb for his tail and such. Lol. I guess I'll pick up a cheap one at the BX tomorrow, since it doesn't really need to be anything fancy.

I did manage to find my Zoom Groom. Still can't find his comb, brushes, or slicker, though. Just the nail clippers and Zoom Groom.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Lord Cynical

For a sibe? My #1 grooming tool would be a forced-air dryer.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
For a sibe? My #1 grooming tool would be a forced-air dryer.
I want one so desperately. I can't justify the price on some of them, though. Do you know any good ones that aren't as expensive?