Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know nothing about cat breeds either or how to pick a cat. If I went into a shelter I know I'd just pick one I thought was pretty. That's pretty bad... But I doubt I'd ever buy a purebred cat though. What kinds of traits are you looking for when you look at adopting a cat? Maybe the foster to adopt would be best.

I did not think about the dogs eating the poop. I am sure they would if given the chance. And they are small enough to fit in a covered litterbox too.
Erm yeah my highly scientific method was to walk into the cat room and pick out a couple younger females that I thought were super cute and take them to the meet & greet room. One was especially interested in me then shimmied up a cat poll in the room and sat on top surveying her kingdom. The others mostly played with each other in a corner or hid behind a box. I took the climber...figured being bold and vertically inclined would be helpful in a house of dogs.

It worked out but who's to say that the same kittens on a different day wouldn't have acted differently?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Top Dog

I have always had indoor cats, to many coyotes and varmints around me.

Everything has been covered I think..Right now I have 4, (had 5 one passed recently). All rescues, they are quite entertaining but definitely not dogs..I do take them out on harnesses occasionally. They get along great with the dogs and funny to watch their antics.

Cats are more independent I would say.

Just wanted to add, my sister's papillon LOVES kitties, he'd rather hang with a kitty than a dog
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Laur, do you have any small independent pet stores there that foster? If so I would just keep an eye on the cats that come through there, ask the employees questions and such.

Or go through a rescue that keeps the cats in foster homes.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm All Ears

My papillons love cats too and aren't fond of strange dogs. I think it's a breed trait. I have always joked paps are part cat with the amount of climbing mine do and some of their mannerisms. Mine follow Joy around and try to clean her face all the time.

I don't know of any stores that foster. Petsmart gets some cats in sometimes to adopt.

When I worked in the shelter, I liked a good number of the cats. Especially some of the bobtails. I don't know if that's a breed trait but I found all of the bobtailed cats to be a lot of fun and very interactive. Of course that's different than actually owning them.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

There are definitely big personality differences, but not everyone is picky about it. I am pretty specific. I like VERY interactive cats. Cats that want to be on you and touching you all of the time. If you stop petting them and walk away they follow you and ask for more. I like cats that talk, either when spoken to or as a form of begging. I like annoying cats lol. If I brought home an aloof or independent cat I'd be super bummed. If you could volunteer at a shelter that gives their cats out of cage time I think you could figure out what you are looking for (and maybe bring one home). You have to think about it long term though. A lot of people like my type of cat for short periods. They come over, ask for pets, are sweet and friendly, and people think that's awesome. But if they had to live with a cat who is literally ALWAYS in their way, they would be miserable.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
There are definitely big personality differences, but not everyone is picky about it. I am pretty specific. I like VERY interactive cats. Cats that want to be on you and touching you all of the time. If you stop petting them and walk away they follow you and ask for more. I like cats that talk, either when spoken to or as a form of begging. I like annoying cats lol. If I brought home an aloof or independent cat I'd be super bummed. If you could volunteer at a shelter that gives their cats out of cage time I think you could figure out what you are looking for (and maybe bring one home).
Haha yeah that sort of cat would probably make me crazy lol. Brie is sort of middle of the road. In the evenings especially she likes to play so we get out her bell ball or she will chase and tackle plushie dog toys too. But she's quiet unless it's past her dinnertime. The rest of the time she is usually nearby but not in your face. Like right now she's napping on the windowsill in my office. If I go downstairs she'll appear on the living room cat tree shortly thereafter. Bedroom, on the vanity. If I leave she'll be in the window or in Hubby's room with him. But the whole time she'll act like it's happenschance that she's in the same room as the human lol.

Right now:

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I am finding this thread really interesting. We are adding at least one, but hopefully two, Bengal kittens to our household this winter. Jason's really into cats and gave me a list of breeds he likes. Luckily, we have a friend that breeds them that is only 3 hours away and very reputable (she has GSDs too). She's going to pick them out for us. She has three available right now but says not one of them is suited for our doggy lifestyle so we'll wait. That is what is making me most excited - someone else that knows what they're doing is going to pick them for me!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm All Ears

One thing that is really interesting to me (from an indoor dog owner perspective) is that you don't have to let indoor cats outside. I really would not have expected that.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

my indoor kitties seem very content being indoors, they aren't carrying on to get outside, tho when I do take them out, they do like to explore

I always advise people to get two, they do keep each other company and are so cute when they have a buddy, altho with small dogs, it's kinda like having a cat around, so one would probably fit right in.

The Petsmart's here that offer cats/kittens for adoption usually get them from HS>
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
One thing that is really interesting to me (from an indoor dog owner perspective) is that you don't have to let indoor cats outside. I really would not have expected that.
I think it depends on the cat. Brie goes out periodically and it doesn't seem to change her approach to the door. She only goes out if carried...doesn't try to walk out.

Make sure you have a very well fitted harness though. The first harness I had on her was one that I thought fit well...it did fit well by dog terms...but she got out of it and thankfully just ran over to me when called...scared me though and we got a new and better fitted harness before going back outside.