Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I took Lorazepam for a little while. I slept beautifully on it, lol. I take Citalopram now for anxiety, and while I was initially freaking out like you are about being on medication, I feel fine. I don't feel like a zombie and I don't feel anxious. Works for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Ball Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
I have been referred, but so far have not been able to make myself go..... I am not good at talking with people I don't know face to face.... I really should give it a try, but struggle with the idea...

I feel so much better now, it's like I've been trying to be strong, and bury my own emotions for so long, now I feel like I can focus on the important things and let the small crap fall aside, where before every little issue was starting to make me snap....

Siren has been amazing therapy in her own way, she's so in tune to me, and seems to know which behavior to offer, and when....
Finding a therapist can be difficult. I know it took me 3 therapists I felt was a right fit. I needed someone I'd be comfortable talking with and it was hard even when I did find the right one, but she was patient and let me adjust until I was comfortable. I interviewed my therapists and I think that is something everyone should do because nothing is worse than going to therapy and finding out they have some radical or conservative views on situations that you're comfortable/acccepting of. So if you're gay, into bdsm, pro-choice and those topics may come up during a session, you want to make sure there will be no disapproval. While they may never say anything, sometimes it can feel like they disapprove. So knowing their stance on it helps you feel more comfortable revealing such things.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

I'm on Zoloft and it's working well for me. I've been on Prozac before, too, but didn't like it much. I also take Melatonin every evening, as directed by my doctor, since I have a lot of trouble falling asleep.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Blackout

I've been on Propofol (sp?), lorazepam, quetiapine, paxil, prozac, valium, ambien...

I liked Propofol because it knocked me out lol - quetiapine sucked. The others didn't do much harm or good for me.

I would say seek a therapist/some counseling as well. Hope it helps you - drugs aren't the answer...(IMO - at least for me)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Medications can be part of the answer for a lot of people. My sister is on melatonin and then anti-anxiety medication. I am not sure which one, they've had to tweak it a little bit. It's helped ENORMOUSLY.

I was on Prozac for a while but hated the way it made me feel. So I quit it and never tried anything else.

Everyone is an individual.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Blackout

That's why I slipped in that (IMO - at least for me) bit. It all depends on the individual.

Melatonin...unless I took like 5 at a time (of the really small tablets) it didn't have any effect on me.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Taxiderpy

My friends have gone through a lot of this sort of thing. Several of them needed to try out a variety of medications before they found one that really worked well and didn't bother them with side effects.

One tried to kill herself a week after starting prozac. She did better on a different one.

Many people that go on antidepressant/antianxiety meds don't need to stay on them forever. It really depends on what the matter is. If your brain doesn't produce the right balance of chemicals, that's one thing. If your brain doesn't have enough of the right type of receptors, that's another. Some drugs can help while you train your brain to grow more of the needed receptors, or balance other brain chemicals, etc. and you can eventually wean off of it. Especially if you're doing other treatments at the same time, like therapy.

Think of it like giving a dog with severe anxiety something to bring them down off the edge, while you're doing calming exercises and (if it's got a specific trigger) desensitizing them and making new associations. Eventually they'll get better. They may or may not need the med forever, but it's one part of a treatment plan.