Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

"Looks pure to me. Someone should probably inform all of these breed "experts" that rescue dogs rarely conform wonderfully to their given breed standard..."

In Ibizan's most rescue's do though..including my own dog who is a rescue. there are some that don't, typically mixes,which is not seen often, but it does happen time to time.

and you can see some of the rescue Ibizan's that have passed through our IHCUS Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7234549&type=3
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I do have to add one thing to this thread. And it does not really have to do with the fact that Amber's dog is mixed or not.

Alot of ppl seem to attack the Ibizan owners and breeders every time this subject comes up.

The Ibizan community is like a family, everyone knows everyone. They are supportive and great people who really love their dogs. We do have our issue's and don't always get along, and there are even ppl amongst our "family" that do not talk at all, but we are a group that are very protective over their dogs and their lines. We do not want the Ibizan Hound to become the next lab, they are not overbred, they are not just handed out to anyone, most the time you have to be on a list for years to get a puppy.
So I just wanted to put that, that we Ibizan people are not bad people, I don't know why it seems to be that everyone thinks that. We want the best for our breed, to keep it as it is, healthy and all around amazing dogs, much like the original 2 dogs that came to the United States.

And as far as I know and was told nobody has been nasty or mean to Amber in any way, they do however want her to know what she has, which is a very special dog.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

I don't think anyone is bashing "Ibizan people". But you can't really say that they keep their dogs in check or they aren't handed out to anyone when some of them end up in rescue. I'm sure the breeders/owners you know are great, but you can't speak for every single Ibizan owner.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I don't think anyone is bashing "Ibizan people". But you can't really say that they keep their dogs in check or they aren't handed out to anyone when some of them end up in rescue. I'm sure the breeders/owners you know are great, but you can't speak for every single Ibizan owner.
Like i said..everyone knows everyone. And almost every Ibizan is co-owned and some do end up in bad situations, but are taken back by their original breeders and then adopted out, but they are labeled as rescue's because that is what they are..they are spayed/neutered and go on to pet and/or performance families.
It happens in every breed, unfortunately there are alot of shitty owners out there.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

So if everyone knows everyone, why can't anyone trace Joey back to his breeders?

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

momto*
i don't mean it as an attack on Ibizan breeders or even show folk in general, so much as an attack on a mindset. for example somewhere along the way redboon people decided the high tan or saddleback redbone was unacceptable regardless of the fact that many saddlebacked redbones were exceptional coon catching machines. likewise the plott folks eradicated teh leopard spotted plott (last known litter occurred in the 80s) and there is a big split in the breed now w/ one faction wanting to eliminate the buckskins (yellow). it's just nonsense. if nose color or coat color or type had ANY effect on the ability to do the job, then all scenthounds would be the same color, same nose color, same coat type, same ear length etc.
likewise w/ all the concern over existing limits on gene pools it is an inherently BAD idea to further narrow the gene pool based on PURELY cosmetic issues.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
So if everyone knows everyone, why can't anyone trace Joey back to his breeders?
because he's not from any of the breeders that know each other at all, there are only like 2-3 breeders in FL and they did not produce him. and probably because he's not purebred..therefore he did not come from one of the breeders.

there is a possibility that he could have been a product of a dog that a woman that used to breed in FL, she was not a good breeder by far, ppl knew of her. She apparently tried to commit suicide years ago and from what i've been told nobody knows what happened to her. He could be a product of something she sold and then was bred by other ppl to something else. He's not old enough to have actually come from her though
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I think it is very naiive to think that just because you don't know where he comes from, that he isn't pure bred or that you can possibly know every Ibizan breeder/owner out there. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like that and I am quite sure there are probably breeders out there that you don't know about.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I think it is very naiive to think that just because you don't know where he comes from, that he isn't pure bred or that you can possibly know every Ibizan breeder/owner out there. Sorry, but it just doesn't work like that and I am quite sure there are probably breeders out there that you don't know about.
that is not the only reason. there are many little things about that say he is not purebred, in spain there are dogs with darker pigment, but if you do the research and look back at historty those dogs were typically dogs that had bred with other breeds on the island, since in the past Ibizan's were left on the Island of Ibiza to fend for themselves for a very long time and sometimes they outcrossed. Hence why you do not see many imports from Ibiza, and when they are imported they are imported from extremely good kennels/breeders

and no I don't claim to know every ibizan person, to date i have about 400 or so that I know , a handful that i talk on the phone with and get together with, but pretty much all the breeders here in the US know each other, our dogs are pretty much all related in some way or another, therefore most research together, show together ect
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Woah guys. This was meant to be a fun "guess what else he could possibly have in him" thread. Wasn't meant to turn into a debate. Regardless if he is pure or not I've said it before and I'll say it again... I love this dog and I do not for a second regret deciding to keep him even if it ends up meaning I can't actually lure course for now.