Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post

Anorexic short danes maybe. Sorry, just had to.
Yeah, greys are big dogs, and I have seen some really big ones, but not the same as danes or wolfies

The few whippets I have met were awesome dogs and very cuddly as well.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GTS View Post
I don't have anything to add other than that's an awesome picture. I also want to know when Tim became 9' tall to take it, lol.
Well, he practices the art of stilts on occasion. In our living room. While taking pictures.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post

Anorexic short danes maybe. Sorry, just had to.

Anyways, thanks for the great input everyone. And the fantastic pictures. I want to curl up with all the adorable whippets right now. I'm sure we will have one someday, I still think it would solve all of the husband's problems, but until he comes around we will be whippet free.
Maybe not in weight but in height. I was surprised when I met some breeder greys (the racing ones I have met seem smaller and slighter) how tall they were. Just as tall as many of the Danes at the show.

And they are still up to 90ish pounds. I don't think a 90 pound 30 inch dog is 'not a large dog'
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Maybe not in weight but in height. I was surprised when I met some breeder greys (the racing ones I have met seem smaller and slighter) how tall they were. Just as tall as many of the Danes at the show.

And they are still up to 90ish pounds. I don't think a 90 pound 30 inch dog is 'not a large dog'
The two greys we were looking to adopt before they turned me down for being pregnant were bigger than my borzois.

Pete was 34" at the shoulder and 90 lbs racing weight.

Sergio was 36" at the shoulder. He was HUGE. You really have to see them in person to appreciate the size.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

a lot of coldbloods get that big especially since the focus now is on wolfing. the bigger dogs manhandle the coyotes better.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

There are definitely some Greys out there as tall as Danes, both breeder and show bred. They are a sighthound breed I really, really like but their size doesn't really suit me.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
There are definitely some Greys out there as tall as Danes, both breeder and show bred. They are a sighthound breed I really, really like but their size doesn't really suit me.
The same rescue also pulled dogs as short as 24". There's a huge variety of sizes in NGA greys.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The same rescue also pulled dogs as short as 24". There's a huge variety of sizes in NGA greys.
There is in the AKC population as well. Some of those lines have NGA dogs as well. I believe the AKC Grey studbook is still open but I'm not up on my Grey politics

So Im sure I could find a Grey in a size I liked but Whippet size just appeals to me more overall. I also would want a puppy...although that is a long, long way off. Someday though.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Just try me..

I have met a few greys where I am OMG I want to take you home, but not many. I have found a decent difference between greys and whippets, though not as big as between whippets and zoi. (which makes sense as they got whippets by crossing greys with terriers and spaniels, which is why I think whippets are the most biddable sighthounds I have met)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have met a few greys where I am OMG I want to take you home, but not many. I have found a decent difference between greys and whippets, though not as big as between whippets and zoi. (which makes sense as they got whippets by crossing greys with terriers and spaniels, which is why I think whippets are the most biddable sighthounds I have met)
Whippets seem to have a bit more "oophm' than most Greys. But I didn't find the Greys to really lack biddability at all. Otherwise, they seem pretty similar to me, while still being distinct breeds. Borzoi seem fairly different from both but I haven't really had much one on one interaction with Borzoi. I worked with a couple Pharaoh Hounds and they were definitely different from Greys or Whippets, harder to get interested in doing stuff with/for you and more independent minded. Very, very cool dogs though.