Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default joint supplements

I had Chloe's bad leg looked at and the vet thinks it is her hip causing the pain/sensitivity. We didn't do rads or anything like that because I'm not ever planning on her having corrective surgery for it and it really isn't bad enough to warrent figuring out exactly what's wrong.

She said she didn't think she needed to be on pain medication, but recommended a joint supplement. So I have two questions.
1.) Will a joint supplement be beneficial and help out the problem she already has?
2.) Would a human grade joint supplement work, or does it have to be one specific for dogs? Mike takes glucosamine pills for his bad hip and I wondered if the same thing would work with Chloe.

I know the hip bothers her because when her leg is manipulated or something hits her hip she snaps. But she moves around just fine and doesn't favor it or anything.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

We use human-grade joint suppliments on dogs at work. We get the Glucosomine with MSM.

I'm curious to see what other people say as well....
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Top Dog

We sell Wapiti Labs Mobility at work, and I've heard amazing reviews. A friend of mine used to work for the company, and she heard nothing but positive things from customers when she worked there as well.

If you can't find that one, I use Pet Naturals Hip & Joint for Missy, and I've definitely noticed that her stiffness/soreness decreased.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Thanks, all! I looked at my boyfriend's joint supplement and it is definitely more potent than the dog supplements I was recommended. I'm going to look around at different things and compare and then go from there.

I'm assuming it isn't really possible overdoes on a joint supplement? Or what mg/lb should I be looking at?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

I use Nupro Joint Silver. It has Ester C in it which is one of the best things ever to give for joints. I combine that with Seameal and probiotics.

I also use Adequan for an extra boost of Joint support. It is a prescription Glucosamine / Chondroitin in shot form. All 3 of my dogs are on it. It is a great preventative measure and works for us.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog Supplements for Joint Problems

My dog also has joint problems and a friend of mine recommended a supplement called Fortitude Canine which has Omega 3 Fatty Acids. You can buy it directly through Kauffman's Animal Health Supplements.
My dog was in a lot of pain and I have seen a noticeable improvement in his mood and mobility with the supplement. Check out Kauffmans website at: http://www.ka-hi.com/ for more info on their supplement.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Active Pup

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum but wanted to share some info. that i read recently about giving your dog human supplements because i was wondering the same thing. I just remember reading that not all human supplements are safe for dogs because some human supplements contain caffeine and ephedrine (commonly referred to as speed) and that some percentage of the dogs ended up dying from them. I want to say it was close to 20%. Scary. That said, my vet recommended this product for my older dogs hip and joint pain (see the link below). I hope it helps. http://www.luckydogvitamin.com/hip-j...nse-60-ct.html
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 AM
stevenwright

Default Re: joint supplements

In order to keep your dog healthy it is necessary to take care of their supplement. With a good supplement they become more active as well there immunity is improved.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Puppy Dog

I use Hylasport Canine for Java (bilateral ED, bilateral ACL repairs, DJD & OCD).
Works great-Gluc/Chond/MSM/HA & Vit. C in proper doses in it.
I also give her an Adequan injection every 3 weeks.

The Adequan has worked wonders for her combined with a mega dose of MSM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
We sell Wapiti Labs Mobility at work, and I've heard amazing reviews. A friend of mine used to work for the company, and she heard nothing but positive things from customers when she worked there as well.

If you can't find that one, I use Pet Naturals Hip & Joint for Missy, and I've definitely noticed that her stiffness/soreness decreased.
The monster takes Wapiti Labs Mobility

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi