Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I'm not sure "cuddle-y" is the right word, as most of the sighthounds are not really needy dogs. But they are great couch/bed buddies. The Grey I raised slept cuddled up with me every night starting at about 4 months old. All of the Whippets and Greys I have known have been very much creatures of comfort and spend most of the time lounging on furniture or beds. But they are not necessarily touch-y feel-y needy dogs in the way that say...I dunno male Belgians are. They like to cuddle with you cause it's comfy and warm
Almost all whippets I know (don't know of other SH) are very much cuddly. Trying to get buccal swab samples I had many a whippet jump in my lap and snuggle down. Racing whippets IME were less stable as a group than the confo whippets. I met about equal numbers of each to the tune of well over a hundred so about 50 each. Well I met more but only sampled non closely related ones. So if I sampled the parents I didn't sample any of the offspring even if I met them.

They love to be touching their person, as long as their person isn't sitting on a hard bench They will totally cuddle up and watch tv or go to bed.

And again to the off leash thing that someone posted. They are NOT bad off leash dogs. Most people with whippets I know that are more than average joe public all have off leash whippets.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

The whippets I know are very cuddly though mainly with just their people. I loveeee them and I absolutely adore the whippets I know out here and they are definitely on my one day list. Honestly, I think I'll mainly only have sighthounds from here on out though I'm sure we will always have at least one non sighthound in the mix.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I would really love ANY sighthound one day. The only thing that makes me cross them off my list are is the whole not-reliable off-leash thing. I've had my fill of neurotic, ADHD, self-destructive, suicidal dogs. I'd like something a bit more loyal this time around.
I wouldn't describe the Whippets or Greys I've known like that at all. They actually are pretty attached to their people and generally pretty easy to get along with.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I wouldn't describe the Whippets or Greys I've known like that at all. They actually are pretty attached to their people and generally pretty easy to get along with.
Well, the smaller sighthounds, while more reliable, tend to make me more nervous anyway. I'm extremely clumsy. I feel like I would break them. And it seems the larger you go with the sighthound, the possibility goes up that they might have more prey instinct and possibly less reliable. I'm still looking into it, but they aren't high on my list until I can get a larger yard/DH is out of the AF. Just in case.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Gah! Puppy whippets are the cutest freaking puppies in the world.

..... just sayin.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Bite me.

I have hundreds more.
Race bred whippets, VERY cuddly.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

There's also Cirneco dell’Etna. They seem like a really neat breed for someone wanting a smaller sighthound to consider. They are supposedly the most biddable of the sighthounds. And they look like Whippet-sized Pharaoh Hounds. I've met them at the Detroit show, there's always a group there. I think they'd look good with a Koolie...but that's just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Well, the smaller sighthounds, while more reliable, tend to make me more nervous anyway. I'm extremely clumsy. I feel like I would break them. And it seems the larger you go with the sighthound, the possibility goes up that they might have more prey instinct and possibly less reliable. I'm still looking into it, but they aren't high on my list until I can get a larger yard/DH is out of the AF. Just in case.
I'm not sure why you feel smaller sighthounds are more reliable and less prey driven? Like I said, Whippets rock at lure coursing! I've seen quite a few who scream with excitement waiting their turn to chase. They are definitely not what I'd consider lacking in prey drive at all The Greys I knew very well were walked off leash daily. And well...lure coursing is always done off leash and at least around here, it's never in a fenced area. I've posted this before but it's such a good answer to the idea that sighthounds should never be trust off leash: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogs...off-leash.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Almost all whippets I know (don't know of other SH) are very much cuddly.
They certainly like to snuggle like I said, they will love laying with you on the bed or the couch. I just don't find sighthounds to be overly needy. But that sort of thing can depend on your definition of needy. Mine is a boy Belgian and umm...that is pretty needy. "Boyfriend Dogs" my husband calls them. I just don't think of sighthounds as Boyfriend Dogs LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Bite me.

Sometimes they get confused, though.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Cirneco are so neat! I've met three but haven't gotten to see them doing much. I just love their look though.

Oooo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1pf67SyrBQ
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Bite me.

Whippets will even cuddle with Chairs if no people are around...