Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Bonus points for pictures.
Can my points go toward you getting a Whippet so I can live vicariously through you for a few years til I get my own?

This one's waiting for your husband to snuggle it!

All photos from google/flickr, none of them are mine.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Gah! Puppy whippets are the cutest freaking puppies in the world.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I don't know how well this holds water scientifically, but I have found as a general rule that boys tend to be cuddlier than girls. Not just dogs... any animals. This is from my personal experience with dogs, cats, rats, gerbils, hamsters, and even cornsnakes. LOL

I realize that this is probably the most useless information I could offer, but... it's all I've got.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
I don't know how well this holds water scientifically, but I have found as a general rule that boys tend to be cuddlier than girls. Not just dogs... any animals. This is from my personal experience with dogs, cats, rats, gerbils, hamsters, and even cornsnakes. LOL

I realize that this is probably the most useless information I could offer, but... it's all I've got.
They say that 'bout ferrets too. Don't know if it's true though, I have yet to get a cuddly ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure "cuddle-y" is the right word, as most of the sighthounds are not really needy dogs. But they are great couch/bed buddies. The Grey I raised slept cuddled up with me every night starting at about 4 months old. All of the Whippets and Greys I have known have been very much creatures of comfort and spend most of the time lounging on furniture or beds. But they are not necessarily touch-y feel-y needy dogs in the way that say...I dunno male Belgians are. They like to cuddle with you cause it's comfy and warm

It's hard to get a feel for how they are when you see them out and about I think. IME there is less difference between show and racing Whippets temperament wise than between a lot of working vs. show dogs, especially the breeder is active in coursing as well as showing. You can get nice performance dogs out of either...or performance duds out of either. Although I think a lot also depends on your expectations and approach to training too, sighthounds in general can be really easy to turn off of stuff that isn't naturally rewarding. Whippets are overall the most impressive dogs at our local coursing events - they are just amazing coursers!

I've wanted a sighthound for a long time and while one is not in my near future, when the time comes I will likely go with a Whippet.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Dash and Bounce are snuggly. They want to be pet endlessly. Seek out your hands, put front paws on your lap.. Climb up in to it if you let them. The well bred ones we met in the US for Kerri's thesis were also fantastic. Wanted to be loved on, love on you. Mainly race lines as well.

Baby LHW

They also like to cuddle on each other

Bounce Baby

Crazy Smudge puppy playing with Fly

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yes, the racing whippets I know are amazing cuddlers. I don't know about the conformation ones, they all seem a bit neurotic and soft but that's no reflection on their cuddling ability.
Yes, my grandma's whippet boy, Locke is from conformation lines and is the softest dog I have ever met. He is an A+ cuddler. Possibly the most affectionate and gentlest dog I've ever had the pleasure of having around.

I would consider a whippet down the road, but because I'd like to dabble in sports I'd be very careful about what lines/breeding. There are outgoing and confident whippets out there for sure. Locke's not one of them - we got him has an adult and it was a long process just to get him comfortable on walks. Going in the car was a big thing too. But that was quite possibly a combination of nature/nuture.

Edit - Aww, whippet babies... cute as.

Maf's post about petting reminded me that when we are out on walks, Locke will check in with me quite often, coming right up to my side and nudging my hand to get a little pat. I've encouraged this... it's quite sweet. Having said that, I wouldn't describe him as a clingy dog.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Gahhh. Reading all these Whippet descriptions is just killing me! I want one so bad!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I really would love to have a whippet someday.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

I would really love ANY sighthound one day. The only thing that makes me cross them off my list are is the whole not-reliable off-leash thing. I've had my fill of neurotic, ADHD, self-destructive, suicidal dogs. I'd like something a bit more loyal this time around.

But they ARE ridiculously cute and they seem like they are SUCH cuddle buddies! Maybe one day when I'm not such a nervous freak.