Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Did you ever miss school for vacation?
Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it 21 46.67%
Yes, but I wouldn't do it to my own kids 0 0%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 2 4.44%
No, and I wouldn't do it to my own kids 11 24.44%
Depends (on grade level, ability, etc) 10 22.22%
Pumpkin beer (I need one) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

I eventually had to drop out and start homeschooling because I was missing too much school for dog shows. Shrug, I turned out fine. Got my GED and was working at my chosen career before I even started college.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
<3 my soldier

If I was contagious or in the hospital I got to stay home. I had honor role until I was a junior in high school...LOL I think the most I ever missed was 1 to 2 days.

Until I got my drivers license.............

Then Senior year was a WHOLE different story....as well as college..LOL
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

This is probably an unpopular opinion... but my parents unschooled me. Unschooling, for those who don't know, is all about learning through environment. No curriculum, just learning about what interests the child. Like I said, I passed my GED with flying colors, even though I hadn't studied for it, had no idea what would be on it and hadn't been to a real school for 5 years prior to taking it. Yeah, its not the hardest test ever, but you get my point. I am a graphics designer, and I am currently in college to get my Bachelors in Graphics Design. I was working as an amateur Graphics Designer for 3 years before I started college, and up until now I have been entirely self taught. I learn because I love it, not because I was forced. I learned what mattered to me, not what some board of education determined that I should know. I left school in the middle of 7th grade, and I already have a career at 19 years old.

So... yeah. Vacations can bring just as much education as a classroom, if a child loves learning. If they don't, what is taught in a classroom won't stick with them anyways.

*braces self for major arguments*

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

No argument here lol, I unschool my children
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
No argument here lol, I unschool my children
Major high fives!! It is a lot of fun, isn't it? I will definitely unschool my own children...

Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
We are Home.

thats ok we keep throwing back and forth the idea of homeschooling Bev next year. We have a really good community for it where we are moving. Lots of childrens museums and history around and just a overall rich learning environment that heavily supports homeschooling. At the same time Morgan will have a ton of things on his schedule as far as therapy goes and Im thinking it might be best for her to be in school instead of being dragged there.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

I homeschooled myself, mostly, ended up being able to graduate highscool at 16, which obviously put me in the position to finish 3 Associate Degrees before 18. One way or another, I do believe education is important. Homeschool, public, unschool, somewhere inbetween, whatever.

But if you chose public school, then take your kid out for 3 weeks at a time for play time, then complain about bad grades or the kid falling behind and blame the teacher for all of it while also making her put in MORE hours than is actually necessary for her job...you sorta deserve a good swack on the head.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I homeschooled myself, mostly, ended up being able to graduate highscool at 16, which obviously put me in the position to finish 3 Associate Degrees before 18. One way or another, I do believe education is important. Homeschool, public, unschool, somewhere inbetween, whatever.

But if you chose public school, then take your kid out for 3 weeks at a time for play time, then complain about bad grades or the kid falling behind and blame the teacher for all of it while also making her put in MORE hours than is actually necessary for her job...you sorta deserve a good swack on the head.
I totally agree.