Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

I think Abby (Chi x) hit 15 months - ish and just matured. She has always been just a little bit serious in her personality. She still loves playing, but she is so steady and serious the rest of the time. And there is a pretty clear line between playing and the rest of her approach to life lol.

Gracie (stafford) is 11 years old and to be honest the line is not clear at all. Her whole life is a game. I still can't cut her nails in one go without fits of laughter and a whole lot of effort (my fault, never bothered to train it) - she doesn't sit still and thinks it's a game. Not very mature and doesn't look like she's going to bother with it now. Not a day goes by where she doesn't do something dorky.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM
such sights to show you

I'm pretty sure Pip was born wearing waist-high plaid pants and writing letters of complaint to the government.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I find Border Collies have a very serious side to them young but I don't think they all mentally mature fast. Just that they can switch on and take play/work very serious at a young age. No stamina with it though. Their brain melts to mush again pretty quick.
I found the same to be true. They become serious from a young age, however I don't feel Blaze really 'came into himself' till maybe 2 or 3. I mean had a steady temperament, good stamina, engaged, thinking, etc.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I'm pretty sure Pip was born wearing waist-high plaid pants and writing letters of complaint to the government.

I wonder if a lot of the early maturity doesn't come with the more primitive breeds that have HAD to, to survive. We haven't bred that out of them . . . yet.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O
So true!!!

LoLa has a brain but she is FAR FAR from mature. She gets lost in LoLaLand where the...oh shiny!!!!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O
Poor Tallulah is VERY grown up most of the time.

But that may have been from necessity, or example, caught between Kharma and Bimmer.

I've been impressed with how bright she really is, and how responsible she's become. You'd love her, Staci

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Boxers are slow to mature. If they ever mature.

Lucy was never really a puppy lol she's always been a serious, no nonsense kind of dog. I think that's just her though, not necessarily breed traits.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post

I wonder if a lot of the early maturity doesn't come with the more primitive breeds that have HAD to, to survive. We haven't bred that out of them . . . yet.
That could be. I actually had a hard time thinking of Savvy as being as young as he was this past spring. Like "oh he's not even a year old". He's a wild, high flying dog but was not terribly puppyish for very long. Him at 6 months and Roust at 6 months are very, very different in terms of maturity. Savvy still has shown signs of really growing up the past few months in terms of sport training. PyrSheps are still a pretty primitive, rustic breed. There was definitely a survival of the fittest sort of thing that went on with them throughout time. I hope their PyrShep-ness is never bred out of them.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM
such sights to show you

Amazingly, because he is also a huge clown, Squash is surprisingly mature as well. He will be 2 in November and I would say this summer is when I really noticed his grown-up brain settling in.

Maisy is... well, Maisy's Maisy. I think she's a bit socially stunted, to be honest I don't know if I'll ever really call her "mature" even though she's getting grey hairs on her chin.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I suspect Meg has been standing on the front porch in a house coat since the age of 8 weeks, yelling about the crazy kids in the neighborhood ruining her flower bed.

Gusto will be an 11 year old boy forever I suspect. Or a 21 year old boy. He is the very picture of "Hold my beer and watch this!"