Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
How could it possibly be THE text as many times as it has been translated and re-written??
Even bible scholars agree on that one. Yes I have links, off to get them
the first council of nicaea in 325AD for one, it threw out entire books of previously accepted scripture, like the book of Mary written by his mother.
on a side note Islam records that jesus spoke of spiritual matters from the cradle and that he did have a wife.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
Now, take the King James and the versions directly translated from it. People with good Greek grammar can go and prove that the English versions translated from KJV are accurate to the Greek manuscripts we have. Further, those Greek manuscripts are consistent and go as far back as 400 AD.
I definitely agree that the KJV is the most accurate. It's the one our church uses, for that reason.

That said, there has been times in early and later church history where men convened to eliminate texts from scripture. And I mean, poor Jerome, bless his heart he did try and did pretty well for being self taught with Greek, made some HUGE errors. Lots of people use his version or versions based on his version. And even going from his Latin translations to English, just. It's hard to describe but a lot of nuances are lost in translation. My Latin prof studied under the pope's latin teacher in Rome (she's one of only about 100 fluent speakers in the world) and we sat down to read through Jerome's version of Christ's crucifixion. Just, dang. There's a lot there, that just doesn't come through in English.

As for whether it matters if he was married or not, unless people are making up doctrines that hinge on whether or not he was married (like priests having to be celibate), it doesn't really matter to your salvation. What does matter is doing the stuff he taught, like being kind and loving other people.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

It's very possible Jesus never even existed in the first place, though, I'm a bit agnostic on the whole issue. Many religions have characters which are considered myth by most nowadays.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinPinOwner View Post
It's very possible Jesus never even existed in the first place, though, I'm a bit agnostic on the whole issue. Many religions have characters which are considered myth by most nowadays.
He is recorded in Roman accounts too. Its unlikely the Romans went along recording the acts of a fictional character.

The wikipedia page has plenty of links to thinks you might be interested in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
Old 09-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

It doesn't really matter to me. I believe Jesus was a person, but I do not and will not ever believe in any sort of divinity.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It always facinates me when self described secular humanists react with glee when trying to disprove something they do not even believe.
Glee? This is not glee. This is 100% apathy LOL
I don’t care one single flying flamingo if Jesus had a wife or not. Doesn’t change his message IMO one bit. What would Jesus having a wife prove or disprove?

Plenty of the Greek and Roman gods married or impregnated humans, why wouldn’t Jesus?
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Would you mind presenting your evidence for this please? Because there is a great deal of evidence that supports the Bible as we read it to today to be THE text as it was written.

'The Da Vinci Code' stuff has been debunked, many times over.
Council of Nicaea, for one. And there was more than one Council held on the Bible's scriptures, "facts", and translations. Jesus's divinity was a huge issue at the time. Still is.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Glee? This is not glee. This is 100% apathy LOL
I don’t care one single flying flamingo if Jesus had a wife or not. Doesn’t change his message IMO one bit. What would Jesus having a wife prove or disprove?

Plenty of the Greek and Roman gods married or impregnated humans, why wouldn’t Jesus?
And ditto this. It honestly doesn't matter one way or another. But I personally find theological history far more fascinating than the practices.

And Jesus's story has a lot in common with older gods and saviors as well. Including, but not limited to, Mithra and Krishna. Dionysus, too. But supposedly those were all "devil saviors". "Fake saviors". Which really interests me, because I want to know how we know Jesus was a "real savior"? How does one prove that sort of thing. It's interesting.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
And ditto this. It honestly doesn't matter one way or another. But I personally find theological history far more fascinating than the practices.

And Jesus's story has a lot in common with older gods and saviors as well. Including, but not limited to, Mithra and Krishna. Dionysus, too. But supposedly those were all "devil saviors". "Fake saviors". Which really interests me, because I want to know how we know Jesus was a "real savior"? How does one prove that sort of thing. It's interesting.
The whole point is that it can't be proved. Or disproved. If it could be proved there would be no point in faith. People would have a knowledge of it, so it would kind of defeat the purpose.

That's why science will never "prove" irrefutably that God exists. There will always be some pro and some con but neither will come down in an absolute. And that's also why God doesn't just be like, "HEY EVERYONE, I REALLY AM HERE. JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW."
Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The whole point is that it can't be proved. Or disproved. If it could be proved there would be no point in faith. People would have a knowledge of it, so it would kind of defeat the purpose.

That's why science will never "prove" irrefutably that God exists. There will always be some pro and some con but neither will come down in an absolute. And that's also why God doesn't just be like, "HEY EVERYONE, I REALLY AM HERE. JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW."
Well, yeah, faith and all. But that's why I personally believe that religion should be a very private and personal thing. No one will ever agree and nothing can be proved unless there's historical fact, so there's really no reason to try and put "faith" into law, schools, and force it on other people. Everyone has their own right to believe in something different, even if a book is telling you that you don't, you really do.

Which is why if Jesus had a wife, and it was proven historical fact, it wouldn't change much. Some people will still declare it a lie, others will add it in to their beliefs, others already thought it. So in the end, it's interesting, but it doesn't really matter.

Unless they find a living descendant of Jesus. Then that might be cool.