Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Oh yes, that's true.

I managed to find her youtube channel... (hope she doesn't mind me posting it?) you can see her directing from kind of a distance around the courses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3DhIsk0J4
Those are definitely some nice distance skills but nothing out of the "ordinary" realm of agility training.

Actually, one of my favorite instructors where I take classes has a GSD with incredible distances skills. It's the closest I've come to seeing somebody almost standing still and the dog still working VERY quickly and accurately. Wish I had video, it was crazy to watch!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Oh yes, that's true.

I managed to find her youtube channel... (hope she doesn't mind me posting it?) you can see her directing from kind of a distance around the courses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3DhIsk0J4
She used to be my instructor but we only made it through a foundations class before my new work schedule conflicted. I really wanted to stick with her training place, she instructs some very awesome, competitive teams. But we couldn't work it in the schedule. Asher and Aslan are both really awesome dogs as is her third sheltie (name is escaping me). I still see them around a lot.

I was at that trial too, haha.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Just try me..

I will always remember a run at one of the regionals. An older lady came in with two canes and a very boucey sheltie. She put her dog on the start line and then slowly, with both canes moved to the centre of the ring. Leaning one cane up against her hip so she could gesture with that hand, and leaning on the other she proceeded to handle her very fast sheltie around a very tricky jumpers course.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I will always remember a run at one of the regionals. An older lady came in with two canes and a very boucey sheltie. She put her dog on the start line and then slowly, with both canes moved to the centre of the ring. Leaning one cane up against her hip so she could gesture with that hand, and leaning on the other she proceeded to handle her very fast sheltie around a very tricky jumpers course.
That is Sharon. The last time I talked to her (acouple of months ago), she was saying that with the more international style courses that it is getting harder to run her dog. That there are just some courses that she knows they wont be successful on, she then turns the run into a training session. But she is certainly an excellent trainer and handler.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Check it out!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYbR6BkngE

Holy crap I sorta thought it would never happen. I only asked for it twice (the two times you see) and then quit on the high note. And what a high note! Yeah Pay!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
She used to be my instructor but we only made it through a foundations class before my new work schedule conflicted. I really wanted to stick with her training place, she instructs some very awesome, competitive teams. But we couldn't work it in the schedule. Asher and Aslan are both really awesome dogs as is her third sheltie (name is escaping me). I still see them around a lot.

I was at that trial too, haha.
Haha, small world! I've been at a few forums with her and she pops up every now and then. Her third dog is Jericho I think!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Haha, small world! I've been at a few forums with her and she pops up every now and then. Her third dog is Jericho I think!
lol yep it is a small world, I know her too even up way up here
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
That sounds right!

Agility went well tonight overall. It ended up only being 3 dogs and two were mine. That kept me busy all class, lol. Summer did FABULOUS. She had a brain and kept up with the more advanced dogs perfectly.

Mia... still is being a creeper dog on her stays. So a lot of today was putting her up after she wasn't staying. We're going to work stays extensively some more this week. I think it makes a difference when she's in front of an obstacle. She stays much better when she's not anticipating the release. But yeah... we're having to draw a hard line for her and it's frustrating.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
That sounds right!

Agility went well tonight overall. It ended up only being 3 dogs and two were mine. That kept me busy all class, lol. Summer did FABULOUS. She had a brain and kept up with the more advanced dogs perfectly.

Mia... still is being a creeper dog on her stays. So a lot of today was putting her up after she wasn't staying. We're going to work stays extensively some more this week. I think it makes a difference when she's in front of an obstacle. She stays much better when she's not anticipating the release. But yeah... we're having to draw a hard line for her and it's frustrating.
But at least you have another dog to run when you have to put up Mia for being a cheater! If agility is that reinforcing for her then knowing that holding the stay is part of the game and the rest doesn't come until you give the okay will pay off!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Yep, it's nice to get to run Summer instead. Of course then Mia has a FIT in her kennel. 'Wait a second! What about me!?' lol

One interesting thing I notice and have noticed for a while is that her stays progressively get worse as we go through a class. Her first 3 or 4 stays were brilliant. Then they got sloppier. I've also noticed that right before I release her, I would start to raise my arm to direct her and she was cuing off my arm starting to move rather than my release word.