Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Course there's always exceptions. Such as a 10yo very active and worked fcr who still raids the garbage. On the other hand Mir's had the unsupervised run of the house since she was 2yo and is super.
I have found the girls to be a bit more serious and tend to grow up mentally quicker than the boys (isn't that across all species?).

And that garbage dog... Well he's like the peter pan of dogs really.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I thought I remember RD and Sizzle saying that Mexidogs seem to mature mentally very quickly. But, that's more of a type than a breed I believe.
Talla matured lightning fast, both physically and mentally. Dobes seem to be slow-maturing dogs, though the bitches tend to "grow up" faster than the dogs. Within the breed there are puppies that look very mature once they hit the conformation ring at 6 motnhs, whereas others are still very puppyish.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I have found the girls to be a bit more serious and tend to grow up mentally quicker than the boys (isn't that across all species?).

And that garbage dog... Well he's like the peter pan of dogs really.
That's a good point...the few senior FCRs I know of who persist with stuff-eating, garbage-raiding, etc. are indeed males lol.

And that garbage dog...he definitely lives up the "Peter Pan Breed" label to the fullest lol. Like finding a super creepy doll while walking and gleefully bringing it home. That picture still gives me nightmares lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Gambit seemed impossibly mature mentally at 6-8 months old when I brought him home. No puppy stage for him, not one bit. Physically, he's still maturing at 2 (and please, please let his metabolism slow or his chest deepen, so he doesn't look like I starve him.). I believe coyotes mature fairly quickly, though.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Lab Love

I'm not even sure I trust "slow to mature" anyways. I just expect the majority of dogs to be immature and puppyish for the first 1-2yrs of their life.

Duke is lab, which are one the breeds famed to be horrendous puppies until 2-3. Duke matured at around 10 months, and hasn't really relapsed. He's just a chill dude.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
And that garbage dog...he definitely lives up the "Peter Pan Breed" label to the fullest lol. Like finding a super creepy doll while walking and gleefully bringing it home. That picture still gives me nightmares lol.
It haunts everyone.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Bernard hit 10 months and it was magic. Bad dog that never stopped running and chewed everything was suddenly Mister Chill and collected. I still am baffled by that. It was almost overnight.

Mia... is three and in many ways still not mature, though she's ages better than she was. Beau and Summer are 8 and still kind of wild and needy at times. Beau did hit a maturity stage around 4 when he decided it was ok to lie down and relax sometimes. Summer at 8 is exactly the same as Summer at 4 when I got her.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Dafuq?

Loki matured very quickly. She was always a cool cat. Terra... we wait. She's got a brain, but sometimes it's lost in the forest of WheeVille.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 AM
BusterLove

We were discussing maturity today actually. And that Quinn matured very slowly, that being that she had another major personality shift at two years old, most other dogs I've met are still growing into themselves at that age but at two, Quinn only just started showing any real affection toward us. Now she's super loving but I'm still surprised by it because it was so unlike her for so, so long. Physically, she matured quiet quickly imo.
Mac matured quickly, she looked adult by about 7 months and has always been quiet ladylike.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I thought I remember RD and Sizzle saying that Mexidogs seem to mature mentally very quickly. But, that's more of a type than a breed I believe.
Very true in Cricket's case. She matured physically and mentally very fast. She is around 2 now and very mentally chill and super intelligent. I don't really remember too much of a typical puppy stage with her since puppyhood seemed so short lived.

I got Bamm at close to 2 years old. He definitely seemed to mature slowly. When focused on training/games etc he'd focus well but then resort back to young crazy dog. He chewed stuff all the time... I remember when he chewed a favorite dress right before a friend's wedding that I was going to wear it too.

Joey.... Omg he is a total nutter butter and not mature at all. I know Ibizan males tend to mature slow from what I've heard and am experiencing. He gets into everything, chews stuff and basically has horrible selective hearing. Not sure at what age he will probably start to mature more and calm down the crazy some. A couple Ibizan people have been giving me the 3-5 range so it probably just varies from dog to dog.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle