Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
LABRADERP!

Beau is pushing 10 years old and I'm still waiting for his brain to kick in....
Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I'll let you know when Morgan matures.

He's five.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Taxiderpy

In general, it seems like small/toy breeds tend to mature (physically and mentally) a lot earlier than large breeds. Strider finally put on his last inch of height between his 3rd and 4th year. Mentally he matured around 2.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

I think it really depends on the individual dog. I swear that Wilson was born with an "adult" frame of mind.. I call him my "old soul".

Piper and Sako however, ALL puppy still. Piper will be 3 in Nov, Sako will be 2.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Zander's mind kicked in right at a year old. Before then it was all play play play, brat, brat, brat.

He didn't physically mature until around 4-5. First three years were all long and lean and leggy....fourth and fifth year, his chest widened and deepened....his whole body seemed to deepen, really. He got surprisingly big/stout for a Sibe, just another reason I think he's actually Malamute.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

But I suppose it's all in how you define maturity. If you're one to say maturity. By some definitions none of my dogs are mature and I endeavor to keep them that way.
I definitely think it depends on how you define "mature". I find Labs and Goldens are very slow to mature. I also find Belgians to be slow to mature. But in very different ways. As a whole Labs and Goldens tend to retain juvenile characteristics pretty much forever and I think because of that, they can act like real puppies (destructive, short attention spans, etc) for their first few years. And those can be some trying time. At 3 months some Belgian puppies are already less juvenile acting than some middle ages Labs, thinking thoughts that never crossed the mind of many Goldens such as "I don't think I want to be touched", "I don't like playing with strange dogs" and "It's mine and I might have to bite if you try to take if from me". But their character can take 3-4 years to fully develop, for you to really see the dog's full potential and "adult behavior". And in between, there sure can be some trying times too but in very different ways.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Chevelle, my APBT, was always mature. Always. I have never had bratty issues with her.

Baloo, my lab/pit bull mix, however, I don't think he ever will. He is 8 months and SUCH a brat sometimes!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O
Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Let it be

I find Border Collies have a very serious side to them young but I don't think they all mentally mature fast. Just that they can switch on and take play/work very serious at a young age. No stamina with it though. Their brain melts to mush again pretty quick.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I definitely think it depends on how you define "mature". I find Labs and Goldens are very slow to mature. I also find Belgians to be slow to mature. But in very different ways. As a whole Labs and Goldens tend to retain juvenile characteristics pretty much forever and I think because of that, they can act like real puppies (destructive, short attention spans, etc) for their first few years. And those can be some trying time. At 3 months some Belgian puppies are already less juvenile acting than some middle ages Labs, thinking thoughts that never crossed the mind of many Goldens such as "I don't think I want to be touched", "I don't like playing with strange dogs" and "It's mine and I might have to bite if you try to take if from me". But their character can take 3-4 years to fully develop, for you to really see the dog's full potential and "adult behavior". And in between, there sure can be some trying times too but in very different ways.
I always hear stuff about retrievers being extra destructive but have never seen it as being any more likely than any other type. Seems like most just ended up in the hands of "overdogged" people...a common retriever affliction. Possbly partly because they are less likely to get weird about being touched and such everyday phenomena, as you mentioned.

Course there's always exceptions. Such as a 10yo very active and worked fcr who still raids the garbage. On the other hand Mir's had the unsupervised run of the house since she was 2yo and is super.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13