Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Show Dog

I have a dog that allows me in her bowl. I can walk up behind her. I can touch her and pet her. I can take her food away. Meanwhile she's like "so uh, what's up". She doesn't care. Did I toss her cookies and click and then toss her hot dog? No I just started from day one of owning her that the dog food is mine and that it's my right to do whatever I want with it.
It doesn't take a lot of training to get it done. This family didn't do it and the dog turned out to be a POS. It may have been altered at puppyhood but the dog bit and so in my eyes is worthless.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl View Post
But abuse is a relative term. People nowadays think a swat on a child's bum is abuse. That raising your voice is abuse. That looking at a person (or dog because let's face it, their value is the same/sarcasm) sideways is abuse.
He did nothing abusive. If that was another dog that had approached the food dish and the dog reacted the way he did, the other dog would have taken him down.

What education or experience do you really have in animal behavior? I don't mean to be insulting, (I know it comes across kind of that way...sorry) but your comments clearly show somewhat of a lack of understanding of animal behavior. No. The other dog would normally and immediately back down and go away at the first hard glance from the dog with the food. In fact, the vast majority of dogs won't attempt to take possession of food that another dog already has possession of...very rare.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
This dog was also in her mind in a fight for her life
On a serious note that dog did MINIMAL damage. Like, nothing compared to what a real bite looks like. That dog was trying to avoid the fight, like a cat backed in a corner who swats at a dog, it knows it won't win but terrified it lashes out in hopes to fool the opponent.

Human, especially their skin, are weak. Very, very weak.

I got tagged by a pit bull a month ago for crowding its owner the first time I met them and the dog barely touched me yet it caused a similar wound through my khaki pants.

Having been bitten by my dogs, accidentally, breaking up fights I have a far wore scars and thus I question how many real bites people have experienced to think that is really that horrific.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Most awesomely inexperienced statement yet.

For the win.
I stated afterwords that I nderstand that a dog is different then a human. I don't know why the sarcasm.
There's a saying... "When you bring your first child home, a dog becomes a dog".
If you aren't a mother, you have no idea how viscerally you would react to that video or to a dog having that type of issue. YOU are inexperienced when it comes to understand motherhood...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

So now dogs that are pushed to bite are worthless? This dog is a POS?

I am hoping you just really like to stir stuff up and talk a big game because if you really feel the way you are coming across....wow.

I dont toss cookies to my dogs as pups to get them used to me by their food. Usually I am holding the food for them to help them learn to eat raw. Ivy still brings me chunks to "hold" for her at times. Any of them will let me take anything from them. BUT, THIS dog from what I have heard the background is, was tormented while eating. Was messed with and was turned this way by humans. It is fixable so fix it!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Behavior Nerd

How timely Rubygirl! I got to see the dog-dog example you gave just today! Snipe postured and growled at Kes over her food bowl this morning. Kes usually has priority access to bones and other toys with Snipe (some would say he's "dominant" over her I suppose). Kes backed away from the food bowl. Hmm. Not exactly how you'd have thought it would've ended, eh?

This link should go to a video of the altercation with Cesar and Holly slowed down and captioned, I found it fascinating. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4655581307021

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

No, not all dogs know the pressure of their bite. Not at all true. I have a little Chihuahua boy who wouldn't want to hurt me for the world. He has not one iota of a feeling of defensiveness ever. BUT....he LOVES food. If I don't remind him every time I hand him a small piece of chicken or worse....rib eye steak, he turns into a barracuda. He has no idea how those teeth sink into my hand. I must remind him every time...."gentle...." Or feed with the flat of my hand. I work on it sometimes, then get lazy, so he isn't really very well versed in this area.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
A normal dog would probably have backed off.
Yep, or welcomed the fight it KNEW it was provoking. Not cried for the guarding dog to PTS.

I had a long response typed up but, really, I don't care if you (generic) would or wouldn't worked with this particular dog. The factors that determine an aggressive dog's prospects are varied and complex, because they determine how easily, how reliably, and how quickly the dog can be made "safe". Not because we like making excuses for the dog, or because I think dogs = people. Because it truly does matter.

I do find it... appalling... hilarious... terrifying(?) that anyone would find CM's actions appropriate in any way.

We have bigger brains than dogs. We should use them on occasion.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I stated afterwords that I nderstand that a dog is different then a human. I don't know why the sarcasm.
There's a saying... "When you bring your first child home, a dog becomes a dog".
If you aren't a mother, you have no idea how viscerally you would react to that video or to a dog having that type of issue. YOU are inexperienced when it comes to understand motherhood...
Are you not reading posts by those of us who ARE mothers? No, my dogs didnt somehow become less when I had children. Yes, there are some things I would no longer feel safe working with in my house for sure because of the children. They do come first BUT, this resource guarding situation is not a threat to them with a simple bit of managing and rehab. No, I am not in a position nor do I want to take one on at this point, I would pass. BUT, its a moot point anyways as I would NEVER let a dog get pushed to that point while in my care.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I have a dog that allows me in her bowl. I can walk up behind her. I can touch her and pet her. I can take her food away. Meanwhile she's like "so uh, what's up". She doesn't care. Did I toss her cookies and click and then toss her hot dog? No I just started from day one of owning her that the dog food is mine and that it's my right to do whatever I want with it.
Good for you. Plenty of people have dogs who USED to resource guard and no longer do thanks to desensitization, counter conditioning, and other positive methods. It's almost as if it's a problem that can be addressed rather than giving up on.

Quote:
It doesn't take a lot of training to get it done. This family didn't do it and the dog turned out to be a POS. It may have been altered at puppyhood but the dog bit and so in my eyes is worthless.
So the dog is a POS because the people handled this problem incorrectly? Wow.