Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Well, if it were me, and I had a kid, I would never own a dog like that. Actually, that dog would've been in the ground had it offered that kind of behavior. Apparently she bit both owners multiple times over it, and Cesar was the 3rd or 4th trainer they worked with. What if, god forbid, the kid dropped food on the floor one day?

I'm not saying I agree with how Cesar handled it, but my opinion is that the dog would've been PTS had it of been in my care. But then again, I come from a "Pit Bull" frame of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people would be so quick to kill dogs if it was real to them and not hypothetical.
Thanks Adrianne. I wonder that too.

Kady, I donít know if you mean to, but you sound awfully smug and self-righteous when you say *you* would never keep a dog like that if you had a kid.

Do you think I looked at my kids one day and said ďhey, how much fun would it be to try and keep them safe from a food aggressive dogĒ and then deliberately went out looking for the biggest FA dog I could find?

Sometimes dogs fall in your lap and youíre left figuring out what to do with a life no one else wants to take responsibility for. Its not an easy decision no matter how you slice it. And when the dog is real, right in front of you, its even harder.

We chose to teach the kids a lesson in compassion. That lives are worth saving, that trust can be rebuilt, that everyone deserves a chance at redemption. I am eternally grateful to Lunar for helping us teach our kids that lesson. Because the direct experience they have had with his complete transformation is something that will stay with them forever.

I have absolutely no problem with those who donít want to take that risk, but please, lets look down our noses at those of us who make an informed, carefully weighed decision to work with this kind of dog.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
kady05's Avatar
kady05 kady05 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Thanks Adrianne. I wonder that too.

Kady, I donít know if you mean to, but you sound awfully smug and self-righteous when you say *you* would never keep a dog like that if you had a kid.

Do you think I looked at my kids one day and said ďhey, how much fun would it be to try and keep them safe from a food aggressive dogĒ and then deliberately went out looking for the biggest FA dog I could find?

Sometimes dogs fall in your lap and youíre left figuring out what to do with a life no one else wants to take responsibility for. Its not an easy decision no matter how you slice it. And when the dog is real, right in front of you, its even harder.

We chose to teach the kids a lesson in compassion. That lives are worth saving, that trust can be rebuilt, that everyone deserves a chance at redemption. I am eternally grateful to Lunar for helping us teach our kids that lesson. Because the direct experience they have had with his complete transformation is something that will stay with them forever.

I have absolutely no problem with those who donít want to take that risk, but please, lets look down our noses at those of us who make an informed, carefully weighed decision to work with this kind of dog.
Holy wow, way to assume all of that just from one post!

I specifically said if *I* had a kid, *I* wouldn't own a dog like that. Never did I say "Anyone that does have a dog like that with a kid is a horrible parent" or anything remotely similar. Your kid(s). Your dog. You do what you want.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Thanks Kady, I wasn***8217;t asking for your approval

I***8217;m simply saying that its not always so clear cut. Dog bites human = PTS. For many of us its not that black and white. There are a lot of grey areas and you have to look at the whole of the picture, not just the fact that the dog bit.

In this case for example, its predictable aggression which makes management a very viable option. The dog tried very hard not to bite. I can***8217;t imagine a toddler pushing the dog to the extent Cesar did or even ignoring the signals to the extent Cesar did. One of my kids got air snapped at the old grumpy dog when said kid fell on top of the dog, and the kid at less than 2 years knew exactly what the air snap meant and was very upset by it. I really don***8217;t see how this couldn***8217;t have been managed and rehabilitated in a home that was responsible about management and knowledgeable to do the rehab.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Holy wow, way to assume all of that just from one post!

This is why a certain someone is on my ignored list....lol.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,227
Default

I'll be honest in that I've been bitten by three of my dogs over the years. Only one was any bad at all. All three were my fault. Two of them actually involved resource guarding. I was raised that you had to be the 'boss' of the dog. Nikki was very much like this dog on the video. And when I went to take something from her, she growled and air snapped, then I (being an idiot kid) pushed back at her and I got bit. Why do we expect to be able to do whatever we want to a dog and when they do something back, we immediately yell for them to be put down?

The one thing that bothered me about that dog was that when it did go in to bite, it landed multiple bites. However, I don't know the history of the dog or what has happened to it. How long has it been pushed and pushed and pushed. How many times has it air snapped and no one heeded the warning? How many times has it landed one warning bite?

The idea that dogs shouldn't ever bite and if they do then it's the axe is very strange to me.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old papillon)
Summer TG3 TBAD - (10 year old papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Bahamutt99's Avatar
Bahamutt99 Bahamutt99 is offline
Dafuq?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: High Ridge, MO
Posts: 2,365
Default

The smug calling the smug smug. Uh, wait...

Yeah, I had my roll over this video on Facebook. I don't consider what this dog did to be an inhibited bite, nor do I consider it to be truly threatened. The last thing I see before the big bite is Cesar stopping and not doing anything. My response to things like this is purely visceral in nature. Cesar may not handle things the way many would want them handled, but I think that dog is way beyond and I wouldn't put up with it. At that point, it would be coming to Jesus to see the light or there would be no light at all.

And yes, I have walked the walk. With beautiful, promising, young dogs. I may not have done it over food aggression, but if one of my dogs had attacked a person in this manner, with the stimulus presented in this video, it would be enough for me. I would feel a huge liability owning such a dog.

Some of you might remember the "Fido" thread about a "friend's" dog. Yeah, I was talking about my own dog. And yes, she lives. Under tremendous pressure to control her mouth. But I came close. Homie don't play that. Had her last incident been a lucid bite and not an "oops, I missed," there would have been no question.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lindsay
& the Gravity Dogs


Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post

Kady, I donít know if you mean to, but you sound awfully smug and self-righteous when you say *you* would never keep a dog like that if you had a kid.
Are people just not reading the bolded part?

yes, the posts came across weird to me as well.

I dont really think anyone knows exactly what they would do into they are in the situation. Even if one has been in a very similar situation in the past, the future situation would not be the same.

Yes, I think for people who have worked and rehabbed resource guarders its really hard to hear people jump to PTS when its usually a pretty easy and painless rehab. Now it can definitely cross a line, some dogs resource guard everything. This dog seemed to have issues with her food, and had to be pushed and messed with before she bit. This dog had issues BECAUSE of how her owners treated her. I am assuming no one here on Chaz is ridiculous enough to treat RG like they did. And if it was a rescue coming with issue I would assume the person would realize there was rehab to be done
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Bahamutt99's Avatar
Bahamutt99 Bahamutt99 is offline
Dafuq?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: High Ridge, MO
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Thanks Kady, I wasnít asking for your approval
I read this part. Found it far more smug as anything Katy said.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lindsay
& the Gravity Dogs


Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Are people just not reading the bolded part?

yes, the posts came across weird to me as well.

I dont really think anyone knows exactly what they would do into they are in the situation. Even if one has been in a very similar situation in the past, the future situation would not be the same.

Yes, I think for people who have worked and rehabbed resource guarders its really hard to hear people jump to PTS when its usually a pretty easy and painless rehab. Now it can definitely cross a line, some dogs resource guard everything. This dog seemed to have issues with her food, and had to be pushed and messed with before she bit. This dog had issues BECAUSE of how her owners treated her. I am assuming no one here on Chaz is ridiculous enough to treat RG like they did. And if it was a rescue coming with issue I would assume the person would realize there was rehab to be done
Exactly that.

Yeah the bite was not as inhibited as I would like to see but I don't think it was an 'uncalled for' bite.

The dog is tense the entire time and never gets a chance to get away from Cesar. He just keeps on and on escalating the situation when it's totally uncalled for. The dog is nervous at first but doesn't react until he gets right over her and starts sticking his hands over her food. Then he never lets off of her.

I think many dogs I've known and some I've owned would have bitten him too in that situation. It's just plain stupid.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old papillon)
Summer TG3 TBAD - (10 year old papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I read this part. Found it far more smug as anything Katy said.
Because you didnít read my tone of voice. It was meant as a genuine, thank you, I get it, but its not about seeking approval. Its that its not a black and white decision.

But whatever, its bedtime for me anyway and even though I act tough its still not pleasant to be treated like this. Night all. Hug your dogs.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site