Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

They didn't look pitty to me? Top one looked like a squished face.

But anyway, I am not getting any straight answers about the color, so might pull the plug. I hate shady people. I don't believe Boxers are part of the ban, and the dog I was shown she ran with had a pretty extreme face...way up and squished nose and flat head, so not what I would think as Pit. But lying about Pit blood is common around here. I already came across two others fostering pups that witheld the Pit info. Ugh. This is annoying.

Jessie, yes, still going to Italy.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Me too, hence my apprehensive response, I was pretty sure on USAF bases you're not allowed out bulls. :-/
I googled by image to try and figure out what they were, and pittie puppies were all that came up and I was like "oh yah, I can see that!"

Oops

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Behavior Nerd

Boxers probably aren't, but when you combine boxer with a longer nosed dog you can get head and muzzle shapes that look quite pittie and thus can bring some trouble your way when it comes to said bans. Since these pups aren't from a known sire and dam, you likely won't have a leg to stand on if the powers that be think your dog looks pit bull-y and that would really suck.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Taxiderpy

There's another color called "silver sable" in borzois that starts out grey/bluish. As far as I know, it's only found in afghans, salukis and zois though. The grey sable malamute coloring looks really similar though. You can tell the difference between those colors and true dilute blue by looking at eyes and nose leather. Eyes will be yellow and noses blue on dilute dogs. The others will have black leather and eyes can be dark or light.

Sorry that it looks like the owners weren't honest about the mixes. Hopefully you can get a look at them in person and see how they're going to look. If any of them turn out to have a longer coat and aren't blue, you'd probably be able to prove it's not a pittie and just get away with calling it a BC mix.

ETA: If this is a whoops... there could be more than one dad aside from the boxer. That would explain the blues if the boxer is purebred.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

Malamute/Sibe gradient coloring on Sable/Black/Dark Grey/Light Grey and Liver/Red/Light Red are actually thought to be very, very similar to Zois and Afghans as far as domino effect. They just haven't proved it yet.

Little bit of detective work left me looking at several pictures of a blue pit stud via acquaintance of this person. SO, I'm backing out of this one. Too much of a coinky dink for me. DH is bummed, but it's better safe then sorry.

BAH. Montana is not the place to look for a dog, I warn you all. Rescues who want 5000 sqft houses, people who lie about Pitty mixes, pet shop breeders, and GOOD breeders who don't reply to emails at all. And their pups just vanish into thin air.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Behavior Nerd

I'm so sorry it's not going to work out. Boo for shady people! Perhaps we can put the power of chaz toward helping you find a dog though? There are lots of people with powerful googlefu skills here LOL

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I'm so sorry it's not going to work out. Boo for shady people! Perhaps we can put the power of chaz toward helping you find a dog though? There are lots of people with powerful googlefu skills here LOL
Lol, I think we might just regroup and think on it. We're kinda hitting the deadline, you know? We leave in March, DH has been in 2 years already, we'll be over in Italy for 2-3 years. It might be best to just keep on with the Rhodie research and plan for a pup on the tail end of Dh's AF career. Or, maybe we'll keep looking. Or maybe we'll just pick up a nice, reliable local gundog from one of the many GSP breeders.

I dunno. It needs to be slept on. And I haven't had a good, undrugged sleep for 3 weeks now! Probably why I totally blanked on those blue pups.

Major thanks for all those who pointed it out.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Malamute/Sibe gradient coloring on Sable/Black/Dark Grey/Light Grey and Liver/Red/Light Red are actually thought to be very, very similar to Zois and Afghans as far as domino effect. They just haven't proved it yet.
Looks-wise, they look nearly identical. They're controlled by very different genes though. We were baffled when Kaia's sire and dam, both tricolors and supposedly the most recessive color, were bred together to produce a litter of tris and one silver sable. There was no possible way for an oopsie extra male to have gotten in there.

Then Kaia, a tricolor, produced three tris and six silver sables when bred to a mahogany sable.

It turns out the silver sable/domino color is recessive to black and tan (unlike the malamute version) and actually requires several modifiers to be present in the correct combination to be expressed.

Oxford did some really interesting DNA studies on it. This link opens in PDF, just a heads up.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ziUFRF2lxC76hA
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

That's neat, thanks for the study link.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Maybe you can find a pup somewhere else and we could get a Chaz train going?

I'm in NC, and we have many, many puppies of all shapes sizes and breeds.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.