Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Colorado people...

So...Ryan and I have been talking recently about potentially moving to Colorado in a couple years. Nothing set in stone or anything, but Ryan's always wanted to live there, I've never so much as visited.

So I'm looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Ryan seems pleased with the amount of VW dealerships in the Denver area, and if I'm still working for Chuck & Don's, well they have five locations and counting around Denver. Hopefully I'll be college gratutated by then though

I don't know that I have a whole ton of specific questions, so really I'm just looking for anything and everything. Ryan looked into it and I guess the cost of living is about the same for Minneapolis and Denver.

Oh, I do have a question! How many tornadoes do you guys endure every year?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Top Dog

(You don't want to know how long I looked for this gif.)

BUT OMG IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF YOU MOVED HERE.

*ahem*

Colorado is pretty amazing - I've lived here for 18 years (9 in Buena Vista, 1 in Durango, 4 in Pueblo, and 2 in Colorado Springs). Best things: lack of flea/ticks, lots of dog friendly places, lots of places to train, hiking, scenery, winter/snowboarding, fall/color change/cool weather, camping.

Worst things: Winter/snow/ice/driving to work, tourists everywhere, HOT HOT HOT in the summer (especially on this side of the mountains).

Keep in mind that these are all my opinion. I'm not sure about the tornado thing - you hardly ever hear about them touching down in/near the big cities though. They mostly stay farther out east where it's nice and flat. I did find these statistics: Denver Colorado Tornado Risk Grade.

The absolute biggest draw to Colorado? Stuff like this.

OverWilliamsPass by taqroy, on Flickr

AlpineTunnelOut by taqroy, on Flickr

TamichiPass by taqroy, on Flickr

If you want to visit I do have a spare bedroom. And am fully willing to ferry you around Springs/Denver. Just sayin'.....

Edited: Because I can't do math and also to say that I vastly prefer Springs over Denver. Partially because I am a small town girl at heart and Denver is ENORMOUS and partially because I hate driving in Denver so much. Anecdata ftw! But if I were you I would look at both places - can't hurt.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM
such sights to show you

My in-laws (FIL, MIL, SIL and her kids) live in Denver and we've visited them several times. It's beautiful, and I really like it, BUT - if you have any allergies, stock up on your medication. They were miserable out there and all of the in-laws said the same thing.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I love Colorado and I've always ALWAYS wanted to live there. My question though is does CO have an insane wind season at all like New Mexico? That was my only major hate with NM. Really really bad wind seasons.

I've been to CO a few times and have to say I much prefer the springs to Denver... Denver really is huge, too huge for my taste personally though I'd imagine there's more job opportunity in Denver (just a guess based on population and size).

But the mountains.... Ohhh the mountains. *dreams*
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

Tim has tried to convince me to move to Colorado forever. We even did a trip out there a couple of years ago. I don't think I could because of the lack of deciduous trees. Yup, I'm really that picky. I want woods, I want trees (not pine trees). Tim has a few friends that live out there who actually moved there from Minnesota, they seem to enjoy it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I love Colorado and I've always ALWAYS wanted to live there. My question though is does CO have an insane wind season at all like New Mexico? That was my only major hate with NM. Really really bad wind seasons.
Spring time can get REALLY windy. I hate it. It's actually a million times better here in Springs than it is in Buena Vista or Pueblo but it still sucks. I haven't experienced the wind season in New Mexico so I can't really compare to that. I know in BV it lasts from March to May usually - here in Springs it only seems to be from March to April and it's much milder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Tim has tried to convince me to move to Colorado forever. We even did a trip out there a couple of years ago. I don't think I could because of the lack of deciduous trees. Yup, I'm really that picky. I want woods, I want trees (not pine trees). Tim has a few friends that live out there who actually moved there from Minnesota, they seem to enjoy it.
There are hugenormous aspen groves in the mountains. Like this:

And they're seriously about 12 inches apart - it's crazy. We had to pack an elk out through a grove like that once, I came close to clotheslining myself about a million times. Not. Fun.

For the most part we do just have scrubby little pines or enormous ponderosas though. I love visiting places that have deciduous trees, I'm always amazed at how GREEN everything is.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Twin 2.0

Depends on where you live. If you're west of Aurora, pretty much none. The Eastern plains get it all.

You should so move here!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Glutton for Crazy

The Denver breed ban is hideous. Otherwise is gorgeous in parts and boing(see: like Nevada & Oregon) in others.

Move to Oregon, come on, we have a coast line.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
For the most part we do just have scrubby little pines or enormous ponderosas though. I love visiting places that have deciduous trees, I'm always amazed at how GREEN everything is.
And the green is what it comes down to. I'm spoiled by Minnesota's greenness.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Twin 2.0

Depends on where you live. If you're west of Aurora, pretty much none. The Eastern plains get it all.

You should so move here! I've got a friend in one of the local VW clubs I can introduce you guys too and there are a number of C&D's around here.