Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Q's for those who have done the CAT.

So, as I said in the other lure coursing thread, I think I am going to try running Frodo in a Coursing Ability Test next month.

I know some have already been to them before, and I have a few questions that might play a part in whether I will decide to run Frodo.

First off, do the dogs just run once in the day?

How many dogs are on the field at one time? I know that only one dog RUNS at a time, but are there a bunch of people standing around with their dogs on the sidelines while other dogs run?

How is the order decided for who will run when?

Erm, I think those are my main ones right now, but I'm sure more will follow...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Mutts to you

For our CAT test (and other lure coursing runs, ie, Junior Courser), only one dog on the field at a time. You might pass the next dog either coming off the course or coming onto the course but there's usually plenty of room to avoid each other. All of the other dogs were in a separate area, and actually, a lot of people don't want their dogs watching another run. I know I don't, Riley goes ballistic and keeps trying to break away to go after the lure himself, so I keep him as far away as possible but still be within hearing distance of the gate steward. Most people around here do the same.

There are usually 2 runs a day and that's it, although that could be when it's a one day event. I've seen CATs broken up into one run per day over a weekend, but they're usually part of a whole day of coursing. Our local lure coursing club won't let dogs run more than twice in a day, even if it's just for fun runs. Not sure if that's the norm, but that's what they do here.

As far as order, with the runs I've been to, it's first check-in, first run, (after the dogs are trotted for soundness, etc.) although if the CAT is connected to a Specialty like ours was, the breed people ran first, then the rest of us in the order we checked in. Exceptions were also made for black dogs if the temperature was unseasonably hot, they ran as early as possible.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey

Last edited by Snark; 09-17-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
So, as I said in the other lure coursing thread, I think I am going to try running Frodo in a Coursing Ability Test next month.

I know some have already been to them before, and I have a few questions that might play a part in whether I will decide to run Frodo.

First off, do the dogs just run once in the day?
They run once per test but sometimes there are two tests a day, one morning and one afternoon.

Quote:
How many dogs are on the field at one time? I know that only one dog RUNS at a time, but are there a bunch of people standing around with their dogs on the sidelines while other dogs run?
People do have dogs standing watching but they are not too close to the lure or where the dog is running.

This video is taken from where people are standing/waiting, some with dogs and some not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQOgmdvqks

Quote:
How is the order decided for who will run when?

Erm, I think those are my main ones right now, but I'm sure more will follow...
The ones here are pretty laid back. They have a rough order but if someone is there and ready and the other person isn't, they take whoever is ready.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Owned by Belgians

When my friend took his dogs for their CAT, a dog on the sidelines got loose and startled his female. She slowed considerably as the little dog ran past her, but she still passed with plenty of time to spare. I hear this happens all too often and I wish the rules were more strict about dogs on the side, or not.

Here is a link to the video.

http://youtu.be/Rvm63DCsK7s
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
When my friend took his dogs for their CAT, a dog on the sidelines got loose and startled his female. She slowed considerably as the little dog ran past her, but she still passed with plenty of time to spare. I hear this happens all too often and I wish the rules were more strict about dogs on the side, or not.

Here is a link to the video.

http://youtu.be/Rvm63DCsK7s
I have been to quite a few coursing trials both regular trials,CATs, post trial fun runs and combinations and it does happen that dogs get loose but I wouldn't say it is a huge problem. Usually when it happens, it is like this - dogs are so keyed in on the lure they don't pay much attention to each other. When I took Seven coursing, one of our friend dogs got loose before his run. It was mostly just funny though: http://youtu.be/hBNFA9PMh9k
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

At the CAT I went to, it stated in the premium that if your dog got loose, you forfeited your run (or any points you had gotten from your run if it was over), and you paid a fine ($10, I believe). There were no loose dogs that day.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
such sights to show you

So here's a dumb question... how do you even sign up for something like this?

ETA: Never Mind, I see it through the breed club website but the premium has to go up. Duh.

Last edited by sassafras; 09-17-2012 at 05:53 PM.