Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I didn't see any of it, so I shall pretend it never happened. lol

And Emily, that's the conclusion I've come too as well. I won't stop looking for the right Lab breeder, either.I think I may end up biting the bullet and having a pup shipped to me.
How do Chessies and Curlies differ temperament wise? I've never met either.
Also, do Curlies have the same kind of cancer rate that FCR do?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I didn't see any of it, so I shall pretend it never happened. lol

And Emily, that's the conclusion I've come too as well. I won't stop looking for the right Lab breeder, either.I think I may end up biting the bullet and having a pup shipped to me.
The one Chessie I had in a class with me regularly was motivated, goofy, totally non-reactive and fine with new people but more handler focused. My grandpa also knew lots and LOTS of Chessie from his hunting days and said he never knew one that wasn't good natured and intensely loyal.

I have heard that they can have a very serious protective streak as well. Tough dogs when it comes down to it, I think.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would be careful with chessies, dog aggression issues are not uncommon in the breed and they do tend to be most guardy of the retrievers. Not that they aren't great dogs, just something to keep in mind when looking into them. I've met a couple that I've really liked- curlies too.

Blackrose, if you can make it up to Chicago in February you should check out the IKC show at McCormick Place in Chicago. It's a huge show, and it's benched, so you can meet a number of different breeds and talk to some breeders directly.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
AFAIK Curlies aren't known for being DA the way Chessies are and don't have the high cancer rate FCRs do.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

With Chessies, is it typically DA towards strange dogs, or is SSA/household aggression an issue? I don't really care about DA towards strange dogs, as long as the dog is not so aggressive it can't be in public around other dogs. Blackie was DA towards strange dogs, but I never had any issues taking him places or getting him to focus on me around other dogs. He held a down/stay in an obedience class while a Golden puppy broke its down and went over and said hi to him the way golden puppies do. Lol I have no desire for a dog park type dog, I just don't want a dog that can't be social with its own household. Even then, though, I plan for this pup to be male and Cynder is female, so SSA won't bother me. Blackie was also SSA with family dogs, but he always got along with the girls.

What is the texture of a Curly's coat? Is it like poodle hair, or...? I have to say, I don't really care for the feel of curly coats. But I could also get over it, I think. Just every time I see a picture of a Curly I have a desire to shave it. LOL (Which I would never do.)

Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
With Chessies, is it typically DA towards strange dogs, or is SSA/household aggression an issue? I don't really care about DA towards strange dogs, as long as the dog is not so aggressive it can't be in public around other dogs. Blackie was DA towards strange dogs, but I never had any issues taking him places or getting him to focus on me around other dogs. He held a down/stay in an obedience class while a Golden puppy broke its down and went over and said hi to him the way golden puppies do. Lol I have no desire for a dog park type dog, I just don't want a dog that can't be social with its own household. Even then, though, I plan for this pup to be male and Cynder is female, so SSA won't bother me. Blackie was also SSA with family dogs, but he always got along with the girls.
I haven't ever known one to be so DA it couldn't do stuff. The ones I have known were more resource guard-y, reactive, etc.

Quote:
What is the texture of a Curly's coat? Is it like poodle hair, or...? I have to say, I don't really care for the feel of curly coats. But I could also get over it, I think. Just every time I see a picture of a Curly I have a desire to shave it. LOL (Which I would never do.)
LOL the look is really different for sure!

They're nothing like a Poodle coat though, it's not soft or fluffy at all and never gets long. It's more of a coarse/crisp feeling coat. Here is the breed standard for coat:

"The coat is a distinguishing characteristic and quite different from that of any other breed. The body coat is a thick mass of small, tight, crisp curls, lying close to the skin, resilient, water resistant, and of sufficient density to provide protection against weather, water and punishing cover. Curls also extend up the entire neck to the occiput, down the thigh and back leg to at least the hock, and over the entire tail. Elsewhere, the coat is short, smooth and straight, including on the forehead, face, front of forelegs, and feet. A patch of uncurled hair behind the withers or bald patches anywhere on the body, including bald strips down the back of the legs or a triangular bald patch on the throat, should be severely penalized. A looser, more open curl is acceptable on the ears. Sparse, silky, fuzzy or very harsh, dry or brittle hair is a fault."
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Lab Love

I'm completely biased, but I think you should stick with Labs.

They're pretty awesome and really over looked in the dog community. They've really filled my sporting dog niche and although I might consider a toller in the future, I'm pretty sure they're one of the only breeds in the sporting group I'll have. They seem to fit your ideal to a T. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
I find it offensive to be told to just learn to enjoy the dogs I have and not get another. I have wanted my own dog ever since Blackie passed away three years ago, life just keeps happening and postponing it.
Sorry for your loss.

If I would have listened to people I wouldn't have my trio of wild animals. Most Belgian breeders are reluctant to sell a puppy to somebody without Belgian experience and especially to somebody who never had a dog. But I went and got one.

My first dog was a Belgian/German shepherd mix adult, already obedience trained. Later I bought a working line Malinois. That was a LOT OF WORK, but I survived and learned in the process. Then I bought my sweetie Laekenois. I'm so lucky to have such a perfect dog and totally opposite from my Malinois.

Finally, I imported a Dutch Shepherd from "pet" lines. You'd think they'd be a lot like the Belgians, but they have a very different attitude. But after all my experience with 3 other dogs all with different learning preferences, the Dutch was very easy for me.

I'm glad I went for variety and didn't stick with the same breed, or pay too much attention to the nay-sayers. After all, how do we learn, but from our mistakes.

I love this photo. They all play well together.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Unfortunately, the GSD is a breed that is very, very split (German Show, American Show, Working - which is then split into several more groups: Czech, Belgian, West German etc etc) so you need to decide what "look" you like, or background you like, what kind of thing you want the dog to be able to do and then start to research that area.
That is why I decided against a GSD. Also the difficulty in finding a reasonably priced puppy that isn't from a BYB. I also wanted something smaller. Two of my dogs are 24" and my supermodel (all legs) Malinois is a whopping 26", but a lightweight at 50 pounds. They also aren't on the banned breeds list.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
My DS was a nerve bag that would bite anyone given the opportunity. He was KNPV bred and not suited to be a family pet/SAR/agility/flyball dog (which is what I was hoping for).
Yes, you will have a very difficult time finding a family suitable DS born in the USA. Our breed club is starting to get a lot of requests, and one of our members does searches for suitable imports. She's very good and finding puppies and keeping the shipping costs down. I think she's going to have to start up an import business if this keeps up. My dog loves children and will run over and kiss them if I let him.