Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Oh, trust me I know that! Heck, I get "she's always so perfect" comments about Meg all the time, and those of us who have known her for a long time just glance at each other and smirk. But there are still moments where I think "if I'd just gotten the purebred puppy from the good breeder I would have done it all right and never have issues and...". Rational thought sometimes goes out the window when you are upset. Like I said, the purebred ACD from a good breeder could have all the same problems and more - or a whole slew of different ones.

Like I said, I just feel that it is unfair for both the dog and the owner for him to have to spend his life being compared to this non-existent puppy. I'm not generally a fan of rehoming dogs, but there are times when it is the best answer for all involved. If you are going to be looking at pictures of those ACD puppies you could have had, and then turning to Ryder and saying "Why did I get you instead?"...don't. Let him find someone who is going to look at him and say "I'm so glad I made this choice".

And as I said, if this is just the frustrated venting, let it out, and then move on to helping Ryder be the dog he's capable of being.
Absolutely true. (the bolded part especially) If you don't think you can separate him out and put him in his own little spot in your heart....or if you are compelled to compare him to the "theoretical" dog, it wouldn't be fair to hang onto him. He needs and deserves to be appreciated and loved for the "person" he is...just the way he is. It's not a blight on you if you can't feel that way. It's just the way it is if you do. And steps should be taken to make his life the best it can be. And yours too.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson