Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Not trying to threadjack, but how does one even find a breeder of stable, sound, family GSDs? Its seems like everyone has different opinions about what lines have the better dogs, and in our geographic area the most sound dogs I've seen are white GSDs, which are supposed to be a no no....
Meet the dogs, find what you like, ask about the breeder, meet the breeder if you can...This will be easier if you start at least with if you want showline or workingline - pet dogs can be found in both. Then go from there. I can give you a few breeders of both if you are interested, that I have personal experience with. My dog is not 1.5 years yet and is wonderful in the house, he is working line.

The white GSDs I've met/seen, I could not be paid to take - the nerve is bad. But, that's not to say that there are not good breeders out there.

Unfortunately, the GSD is a breed that is very, very split (German Show, American Show, Working - which is then split into several more groups: Czech, Belgian, West German etc etc) so you need to decide what "look" you like, or background you like, what kind of thing you want the dog to be able to do and then start to research that area. If you try to find just a handful of breeders in all of the different "types" of GSDs, you will be overwhelmed. Or at least, I was, when I first started looking
__________________
~Falon~
Jentry (GSD) - Limit (Kelpie) - Kastle (GSD) - Eden (Cardi)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I would love a list of breeders that produce these clingier whippets...with long hair. I am definitely interested.

My parents have a Vizsla, she's 12 and still crazy hyper. She's very, very, very sweet and an extreme velcro dog. She's sensitive but not soft, very bright, excellent drive, settles very well in the house, great with other dogs. I am thinking probably too "needy" for what you said you wanted but they can be good dogs. She is from hunting dog stock. BUT, the first 2-4 years, her energy was extremely difficult to deal with.

The ones I met were all regular short coated whippets. But I do have a bunch of cards from breeders. I met one boy I wanted to take home. We walk through the door and are met by 5 boucning whippets, but one with a toy. He was so excited to see new humans and wanted to play instantly. He kept play bowing with his toy and doing the whole body wiggle.

There is one breeder I know very well that produces beautiful dogs, good confo but also fantastic out going temperaments. All hers go off leash around their farm. When they race they run back to her after the race is over (and they are GOOD racers!)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 PM
YodelDogs's Avatar
YodelDogs YodelDogs is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 479
Default

What about a Smooth Collie? Perhaps a lovely black tri? With the exception of barking being protective, they seem to fit everything else you mentioned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
The ones I met were all regular short coated whippets. But I do have a bunch of cards from breeders. I met one boy I wanted to take home. We walk through the door and are met by 5 boucning whippets, but one with a toy. He was so excited to see new humans and wanted to play instantly. He kept play bowing with his toy and doing the whole body wiggle.

There is one breeder I know very well that produces beautiful dogs, good confo but also fantastic out going temperaments. All hers go off leash around their farm. When they race they run back to her after the race is over (and they are GOOD racers!)
PM please?
__________________
~Falon~
Jentry (GSD) - Limit (Kelpie) - Kastle (GSD) - Eden (Cardi)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Not trying to threadjack, but how does one even find a breeder of stable, sound, family GSDs? Its seems like everyone has different opinions about what lines have the better dogs, and in our geographic area the most sound dogs I've seen are white GSDs, which are supposed to be a no no....
I guess it depends on what you mean by "sound". I find a lot of non-GSD people think that low/no drive, non-guardy, super laid back GSDs are "good GSDs". A GSD with a proper temperament is supposed to be driven, intense and have some degree of aggression. That is what makes them such great protection dogs and does not, in any way mean that they won't be great family dogs too. However, if one wants a dog who's laid back, low drive, low energy, mild temperament with no aggressive thoughts at all...well sure you can find such GSDs but overall, I'd say the breed probably is not for you.

A good example of proper GSDs to me would be the dogs a friend of mine breeds. She uses SchH as a temperament test and breedings are done with that in mind. The litters she has had have gone to SchH, police, SAR, Service Dogs for children, obedience/performance and "just" family pets. These dogs can go anywhere, are very sound but are also serious about protection work and have great work ethic. There is nothing about a GSD with a proper working temperament that should make them unsuited to being great family dogs, providing a GSD really is what the family wants and is prepared for.

As to whites being a no-no, I don't think there are any breeders of wGSD that are making breeding for a proper working temperament their priority. IME the wGSDs I have been around generally lacking what I would consider proper temperament for the breed. They were developed from pet lines (the well bred ones are pet crossed with American show lines) and IME are fairly typical of what you would find in pet bred GSD. That isn't to say that all wGSD have poor temperaments, dogs can have perfectly lovely temperaments but not be correct for the breed. And I'm sure that there are some wGSD out there who are closer to correct, I just haven't been around them. Also a lot of the wGSD IME are also oversized, including the ones people show. Someone brought a few to the training club for conformation this year and they were HUGE. Of course, a lot of the AKC show dogs are oversized too.

There is every sort of GSD breeder out there, most people can find one that suits them if they want a GSD. I don't really care if people decide a wGSD is absolutely the perfect dog for them. There are plenty of people who find them to be great as pets, performance, service dogs, etc but in general, they don't tend to be correct for the breed and it isn't just a matter of color.
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
A good example of proper GSDs to me would be the dogs a friend of mine breeds. She uses SchH as a temperament test and breedings are done with that in mind. The litters she has had have gone to SchH, police, SAR, Service Dogs for children, obedience/performance and "just" family pets. These dogs can go anywhere, are very sound but are also serious about protection work and have great work ethic. There is nothing about a GSD with a proper working temperament that should make them unsuited to being great family dogs, providing a GSD really is what the family wants and is prepared for.

There is every sort of GSD breeder out there, most people can find one that suits them if they want a GSD. I don't really care if people decide a wGSD is absolutely the perfect dog for them. There are plenty of people who find them to be great as pets, performance, service dogs, etc but in general, they don't tend to be correct for the breed and it isn't just a matter of color.
Excellent post.

ETA: wanted to say, while I have a wonderful "house pet" - my dog also does flyball, agility, lure coursing, dock jumping and IPO. He has drive coming out his ears and I love that about him.
__________________
~Falon~
Jentry (GSD) - Limit (Kelpie) - Kastle (GSD) - Eden (Cardi)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
PM please?
Me, too, please. I may also pm you about a local breeder and see what you think of their dogs.
__________________

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "sound". I find a lot of non-GSD people think that low/no drive, non-guardy, super laid back GSDs are "good GSDs". A GSD with a proper temperament is supposed to be driven, intense and have some degree of aggression. That is what makes them such great protection dogs and does not, in any way mean that they won't be great family dogs too. However, if one wants a dog who's laid back, low drive, low energy, mild temperament with no aggressive thoughts at all...well sure you can find such GSDs but overall, I'd say the breed probably is not for you.

A good example of proper GSDs to me would be the dogs a friend of mine breeds. She uses SchH as a temperament test and breedings are done with that in mind. The litters she has had have gone to SchH, police, SAR, Service Dogs for children, obedience/performance and "just" family pets. These dogs can go anywhere, are very sound but are also serious about protection work and have great work ethic. There is nothing about a GSD with a proper working temperament that should make them unsuited to being great family dogs, providing a GSD really is what the family wants and is prepared for.

As to whites being a no-no, I don't think there are any breeders of wGSD that are making breeding for a proper working temperament their priority. IME the wGSDs I have been around generally lacking what I would consider proper temperament for the breed. They were developed from pet lines (the well bred ones are pet crossed with American show lines) and IME are fairly typical of what you would find in pet bred GSD. That isn't to say that all wGSD have poor temperaments, dogs can have perfectly lovely temperaments but not be correct for the breed. And I'm sure that there are some wGSD out there who are closer to correct, I just haven't been around them. Also a lot of the wGSD IME are also oversized, including the ones people show. Someone brought a few to the training club for conformation this year and they were HUGE. Of course, a lot of the AKC show dogs are oversized too.

There is every sort of GSD breeder out there, most people can find one that suits them if they want a GSD. I don't really care if people decide a wGSD is absolutely the perfect dog for them. There are plenty of people who find them to be great as pets, performance, service dogs, etc but in general, they don't tend to be correct for the breed and it isn't just a matter of color.
What I would Want:

-driven to DO something, but won't go insane if we skip a couple days without training

-up for anything and can go all day, but can chill too-has an off switch

-is good with children

-can do agility

-can go anywhere in public safely, is very tolerant of strangers. Doesn't have to love everyone, but does have to be able to deal with what strangers can dish out in public (unsolicited touching, etc)

-can tolerate other dogs. Doesn't have to be a dog park dog, but does have to be able to dog tolerant enough to go on hikes, walks, and events where other dogs will be

-don't want a reactive dog

-don't want a dog that will eat my birds

-will tolerate kids friends coming in to the house

-is not so guardy that the dog would go crazy living in down town area
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Jynx Jynx is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,071
Default

I have always had GSD's and aussies. I will always have both for different reasons.

A friend of mine (dog trainer) has a toller and I LIKE that dog..She is just a nice all around pooch who is smart as a whip, will go all day long but hang out as well.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,239
Default

For those who want PMs.. I have to go through all my thesis stuff. The cards are in there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site