Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Not trying to threadjack, but how does one even find a breeder of stable, sound, family GSDs? Its seems like everyone has different opinions about what lines have the better dogs, and in our geographic area the most sound dogs I've seen are white GSDs, which are supposed to be a no no....
Meet the dogs, find what you like, ask about the breeder, meet the breeder if you can...This will be easier if you start at least with if you want showline or workingline - pet dogs can be found in both. Then go from there. I can give you a few breeders of both if you are interested, that I have personal experience with. My dog is not 1.5 years yet and is wonderful in the house, he is working line.

The white GSDs I've met/seen, I could not be paid to take - the nerve is bad. But, that's not to say that there are not good breeders out there.

Unfortunately, the GSD is a breed that is very, very split (German Show, American Show, Working - which is then split into several more groups: Czech, Belgian, West German etc etc) so you need to decide what "look" you like, or background you like, what kind of thing you want the dog to be able to do and then start to research that area. If you try to find just a handful of breeders in all of the different "types" of GSDs, you will be overwhelmed. Or at least, I was, when I first started looking