Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I don't think I've ever even looked at Curly-Coats. What are they like?

And your Dutch is gorgeous. And yes, if I were to look in to any working breed, I would definitely be looking for one that is not bred for hard core sport/work/competition. I need a good family dog, and while I hope to get involved non competitively in sports, this will be a dog that will be around when I'm hopefully married and have children and working the dog isn't going to be high on my priority list when that happens. On the flip side, in the next few years the dog will be my main priority. Which is really why I want one next summer - by the time I'm ready for a family, I'll have a well trained, socialized adult dog that doesn't need all my attention. Lol

Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
such sights to show you

Chesapeakes are under-rated IMO. Mine was kind of clingy but could take a hint about it, if that makes sense.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I don't think I've ever even looked at Curly-Coats. What are they like?
The ones at the training club are just really nice all around dogs. Willing and able to do everything their owner wants to do with them. This seems to fit the ones I have known, although they are all related:

"The Curly Coat is possessed of an imperturbable temperament. Even tempered, this dog is intensely loyal and will be protective of the family while maintaining unfailingly good manners to humans likewise mannered. Curlies tend to be reserved rather than extroverted with strangers. However, this reserve can be shed rather dramatically when someone the dog knows and loves approaches!

Curly Coats are very slow to mature and this should be taken into account when training them. They are always quick and intelligent, however, so tailoring your training into multiple, short, and interesting sessions will yield the best results over time."

and...

"Are they just like Labradors or other Retrievers?

No. Each of the Retriever breeds, even though closely related, has distinct habits and temperaments, and the Curly is no exception. Curlies are very much loyal family dogs and are reserved with strangers. They make excellent watch dogs because of this characteristic. They are generally a dignified and somewhat independent dog, especially as compared to the Golden Retriever and the Labrador Retriever. Like the Flat Coated Retriever, Curlies come in both black and (recessive) liver colors. There have been occasional reports of yellow Curlies, but this has never been an accepted color in the breed and very few if any yellows occur today.

The Curly Coat does share the general Retriever characteristics such as intelligence, keen instinct for hunting and retrieving, an extended puppyhood, and an even and stable temperament."

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/curlycoat/FAQ.html

Quote:
And your Dutch is gorgeous. And yes, if I were to look in to any working breed, I would definitely be looking for one that is not bred for hard core sport/work/competition. I need a good family dog, and while I hope to get involved non competitively in sports, this will be a dog that will be around when I'm hopefully married and have children and working the dog isn't going to be high on my priority list when that happens. On the flip side, in the next few years the dog will be my main priority. Which is really why I want one next summer - by the time I'm ready for a family, I'll have a well trained, socialized adult dog that doesn't need all my attention. Lol
It isn't always that simple with these breeds (GSDs, Belgians, Dutchies, most of the herding breeds really especially those which were also used for guarding/protection). Buying from someone who isn't breeding for working temperament doesn't mean you will get an easier version of the breed. I don't think you can get a better family dog than a good GSD - they adore their people and tend to be extremely tolerant of their kids, almost to a fault. Of course, there are exceptions to that and I'd generally suggest going to a breeder selecting for a traditional (working) temperament to stack the odds in favor of getting one with a proper temperament. My GSD Jora was very driven, very protective and intense...but a really great family dog too. Belgians can also be great family dogs as well, although I have known quite a few who've lost their homes with kids due to resource guarding Both of those breeds can be difficult in their territorial/guardy tendencies, need for proper early and ongoing socialization/training and tendencies towards dog aggression or reactivity. And those traits can be found in working as well as show bred dogs. Dutch Shepherds I don't have as much personal experience with but I suspect it is similar. Some are easy, some aren't...and some of it depends on what you consider easy.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM
LABRADERP!

Mountain Cur or Lab
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Having owned a Dutchie, been around a large number of Malinois and GSDs and now owned several GSDs - GSDs are easier to get a stable, balanced one. You have to be very cautious of what lines your Dutchie is coming from. Malinois/DS are more sensitive and the drive is different but all three are what I would term "velcro" dogs. My DS was a nerve bag that would bite anyone given the opportunity. He was KNPV bred and not suited to be a family pet/SAR/agility/flyball dog (which is what I was hoping for). My GSD is pretty awesome and everything I could possibly hope for in terms of stability and balance. I've met some really, really awesome Mal's but again, definitely depends on what you consider "easy". If you import from a nice kennel you can definitely get a nice, more family-oriented/safe DS but I would be surprised to see that very often in the US...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Blackout

I'd stick with a Lab. Viszlas are probably not your best bet - neither would a GSD be just because of the "banned"/"dangerous" issue.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
I haven't really considered sighthounds much due to always viewing them as somewhat...sensitive? Shy? That and the fact that hound + off lead doesn't normally belong in the same sentence. Most of the retired racers I've met are lovely dogs, just not my cup of tea. The only Whippet I ever met I...strongly disliked. But she was dumber than a box of rocks and paid no attention to any cues you gave, ever. I'd love to meet a more proper Whippet.

I haven't ever met a Viszla, so I can't say I know much about them. Just from doing some reading, it seems as if they are rather soft, clingy dogs as well? Or that could have just been the one opinion. I already have one soft, clingy dog, don't really care for another. Lol
The breeder bred vs racing bred greys I have met are out going, bouncy happy dogs. More sensitive than a typical retriever, but not shy or reserved. I can tell you on my trip around the US I met far more bouncy in your face whippets than shy ones! Yes there are the timid shy sight hounds.. but that isn't indicative of what a good one is like.

Most whippet dog people I know (vs whippet pet people... you know people who know dogs and do things with them vs people who simply love them an walk them around the block) all have off leash whippets. They are relatively clingy and handler focused.

Vislas are not my cup of tea. Most I put up there with Mals with dogs I admire but do not want to own. Then again most that I have met have been more working lines.. but they seem pretty insane lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
such sights to show you

Seems like a LOT of the vizslas I see coming through `these days are quite timid and anxious. It didn't used to be that way, so I don't know if it's just a regional breeder thing or what. It's unfortunate, I used to really like them a lot of wouldn't even have them on a "maybe someday" list right now.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
The breeder bred vs racing bred greys I have met are out going, bouncy happy dogs. More sensitive than a typical retriever, but not shy or reserved. I can tell you on my trip around the US I met far more bouncy in your face whippets than shy ones! Yes there are the timid shy sight hounds.. but that isn't indicative of what a good one is like.

Most whippet dog people I know (vs whippet pet people... you know people who know dogs and do things with them vs people who simply love them an walk them around the block) all have off leash whippets. They are relatively clingy and handler focused.

Vislas are not my cup of tea. Most I put up there with Mals with dogs I admire but do not want to own. Then again most that I have met have been more working lines.. but they seem pretty insane lol.
I would love a list of breeders that produce these clingier whippets...with long hair. I am definitely interested.

My parents have a Vizsla, she's 12 and still crazy hyper. She's very, very, very sweet and an extreme velcro dog. She's sensitive but not soft, very bright, excellent drive, settles very well in the house, great with other dogs. I am thinking probably too "needy" for what you said you wanted but they can be good dogs. She is from hunting dog stock. BUT, the first 2-4 years, her energy was extremely difficult to deal with.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Obey the Toad.

Blackrose, your list looks like pretty much like mine as far as what I'm looking for in a dog so I'm definitely reading this thread with interest!

Not trying to threadjack, but how does one even find a breeder of stable, sound, family GSDs? Its seems like everyone has different opinions about what lines have the better dogs, and in our geographic area the most sound dogs I've seen are white GSDs, which are supposed to be a no no....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.