Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default Partial raw feeders?

Any of you out there?
I was going to go 100% raw with future pup..but have come to the conclusion that partial is probably the best option. For freezer space as well as training (kibble is so much easier to work with)..

So what is your partial routine?
and what would you suggest for a puppy?

I am hoping to do kibble with plenty of RMBs
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

I'm only a partial raw feeder because I live with my parents. I take care of both my dog and my father's dog. They both eat a raw meal in the mornings and a kibble meal in the evenings, usually. Sometimes they get two kibble meals or two raw meals, or mixed meals (gasp!).

My dad thinks that dogs need kibble to survive, and so he won't let me feed his dog all-raw, although he agrees with the benefits and loves the partial raw diet... and so rather than feed my dog a 100% raw diet and his a mixed diet, I just feed them both a mixed diet. I'll switch Bonnie to all raw when I move out, and I assume he'll keep feeding Abbey partial raw. But the mixed diet is working really well for them so I'm not dying to switch over.

For a puppy, you might send a message to youtube user mmorlino. I've never raw fed a puppy (Bonnie was a year old when we started) but she weans all of her doxie puppies directly onto prey model raw. She is quite a helpful person, I'm sure she'd give you answers to any questions you might have.

Here's a video of a litter of her puppies eating their first raw meal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Hx0ae-w30

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
The Littlest Hound

I feed a mix because my freezer just melted down permanently... I don't really have much of a routine though. I feed a variety of raw food & then when I'm lazy/nothing's defrosted or I'm out of raw, I throw a few cups of EVO at them instead....

ETA: last time I raised a pup was autumn - I started her on EVO Turkey & Chicken, and started adding raw meaty bones in at 12 weeks or so... never looked back, and I'm pretty sure my ex keeps her on 100% raw.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I feed a mix, ill usually mix in the same meal but sometimes I alternate meals.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm All Ears

I alternate meals with whatever I feel like that day. Premade raw, dehydrated raw, canned, kibble, real raw. Just whatever I have. No real system.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

My dogs get half kibble, half canned in the morning (along with supplements), and half kibble, half ground raw in the evening. They also get RMBs/recreational bones once a week or so, but that's in addition to their meal.

I rotate between a ton of different kibbles, cans, and premade raw brands - they're always getting something different.

I think you should figure out what works for you and the puppy. If it's easier for you to be spontaneous and just feed whatever comes to mind, do that. If it's easier for you to have a set schedule, then figure out what you want to do for each meal, write it out, and stick it on the fridge so you know when you're supposed to be thawing meat lol. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind for a puppy is get as much variety in the diet as possible!

Last edited by JustaLilBitaLuck; 10-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

I feed all raw for meals, but use kitty kibble for training. If I could find dog kibble that tiny, I'd use dog kibble.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

We feed partial raw. We're lazy though, we do it when we are for sure at home and are not going to be training (then we use kibble). Or whatever is on sale. We went through a period where we were getting chickens for really cheap so the whole pack ate that. Then Fromm came to a store near us super discounted and they all got that. Now we're training pretty frequently so they get premade and Cal Nat because the kibs are large.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I feed all raw for meals, but use kitty kibble for training. If I could find dog kibble that tiny, I'd use dog kibble.
Fromm dog kibble is tiny... a lot smaller than the Acana/Orijen/Go/NV cat kibbles I feed the ferrets at least

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Big Dog

I feed mixed for several reason. One- no reliable affordable source of raw. Certain times of year I can get more raw, but during the summer I can hardly find anything. Freezer died so no extra storage.

I give kibble base with either can/homecooked on top or add things like eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, canned mackeral several times a week.

Then when I find it on sale at grocery store or when my butcher gets a good load of animals in- I feed beef heart, liver, spleen and kidney, big raw meaty knuckle bones, pork necks and ribs. I get chicken quarters from a local place and I buy whole turkeys when they go on sale for Thanksgiving. Also get chicken hearts/gizzards/liver from Publix. Dogs think the chicken hearts are treats! And also feed venison when I can get it during hunting season.