What breed for me?
Can a mod change that thread icon? My phone decided to be stupid. I'm not sad, I promise. Lol
I've come to realize over the past few months what exactly I want in a dog. Having Gracie and Cooper, then having Seabees for the time I did, really has made me understand what I like, what I don't like, and what I can't stand. Not only the big things, but down to basic personality. The future is becoming more sure now, and even if it changes that shouldn't influence what I want in a breed. I have a few breeds I'm looking at seriously and some I've briefly considered but am not really sure about.
So, I'm going to make a brief list of what I really enjoy in a dog. Then I'm going to list breeds I've considered. If someone with breed experience would like to chime in and let me know if one just won't work, that'd be great. I realize most of this is going to come down to the individual dog, but I figured getting in the right baullpark with a certain breed would up my chances of getting "that dog".
So, here is what I love:
- 40-80 pounds, 50 is perfect. Athletic build.
- short coat, smooth or dense. Solid, dark colors = gorgeous.
- motivated to learn, fun to work with
- toy motivated, food driven, loves to play physically
- able to go all day, but just as happy to laze around and chew on a bone
- social with family animals, be they rat, cat, or dog, although I actually prefer a dog that has the drive to "critter"
- good with children, high tolorance, patient
- polite/social with strangers in public
- protective of its territory, although I would be happy with a dog that would bark and look intimidating without it actually being protective.
- quiet, doesn't bark unless it feels the need
- not a velcro dog, but a shadow dog. One that doesn't have to touch you at all times, but follows you from room to room. Picks you as his person and values you over a stranger.
- able to be off leash with training
- stable; not predisposed to reactivity/snarkiness/extreme sensitivity
- can't be a drooler (allergies), and can't be a "banned" breed due to renting
Breeds I've considered:
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Blackie, Sadie, and Seabees were pretty much perfect, and they were all Labs. But I've met so few Labs that I can say "this is exactly what I want" and so many more labs I don't want to touch with a stick, I think I'm afraid I'll end up with a Lab I can't stand. And I'm having such a hard time finding a breeder I 110% love, its making it difficult.
So...please share your thoughts/experiences with a breed you think might work! With any luck my life will be ready for a puppy this May. I'm ready for one now (I really miss Seabees ), but unfortunately my life is not.
~*~ Cynder ~*~ Abrams ~*~
Daddy's Girl Lab/Spaniel muttly and Momma's Boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Home Away from Home: Chloe, Gracie, Cooper (dogs), Apollo (cat)
Last edited by *blackrose; 09-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.