Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
love the fluff

I feed raw also. Prey model for about four years. I have never had a issue with bones. Of course it can happen, but I have always made sure to give large enough cuts that the dog has no choice but to chew. I have had a couple of sock issues over the years though.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I've never had a dog have an obstruction from raw but I have heard of it. As a general rule it's not super common but I would stack the odds in my favor and avoid chokeable pieces.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Bite Club

I feed raw, both ground and whole. I can get ground at a really good price so its easier and cheaper for us to feed, but I do add in whole bone-in pieces to help with their teeth. They also chew antlers which helps.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
LOL, it sure meant something for THAT dog.

I *feed* raw, and I'm so tired of "raw can do no wrong."
Who said that?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Twin 2

Some dogs will have issues with gulping and others won't. Just because a dog didn't have an issue for years doesn't mean another dog might be the same.

I've been feeding raw for years and never had an issue but I also know each of my dogs and tailor their meals for each of them. If you think you'll have an issue cut them into smaller pieces. If nothing else it will be better for your piece of mind.

As far as kibble and raw goes I've fed them together multiple times. Most of my training is done mixes between kibble and raw and I've yet to see an issue with any of my dogs.

If it bothers your dog stop feeding then stop. If it works then keep going.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Who said that?
Nobody said it explicitly. But it's the general tone that runs through many of these threads I grow weary of.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

I feed kibble, canned, raw (premade ground), and dehydrated in every combination you can think of, and my dogs do just fine. My theory on the raw/kibble mixing is that if it works for your dog, keep doing it. If it doesn't work for your dog, stop doing it. Every dog is different, and you need to know your dog and know what works for them. Missy doesn't do well on Sojos - she gets horrible gas from it. It doesn't mean that Sojos is a bad food, just that it doesn't work well for one particular dog.

As far as the ground vs chunks...it's honestly up to you and (again!) what works for your dog. My dogs get ground raw for their meals, but plenty of other things (raw bones, raw tracheas, bully sticks, tendons, etc) to chew on to keep their teeth clean. I will still say that dogs eating ground raw have better teeth than dogs eating straight kibble - so it's not like you're losing out on the dental benefits entirely. If you want to avoid bone for gulping/obstruction reasons, you could always give them a hunk of the ground raw when it's still frozen - they'll have to chew and work at it, but there's no risk of gulping large pieces of bone.

Overall, there's no one "right" way to feed dogs - there's lots of right ways. You just need to figure out what works for you and your dogs. It might take some time and some trial and error, but eventually it'll work itself out.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

I think having done mixing (raw, kibble, dehydrated, etc.) in the past, that I would not do it again. JMO.

I do feed some ground (green tripe/trachea/gullet mix), but it doesn't do anything for their teeth. And I saw a night and day difference when I went from partial raw to full prey model raw in Scout's teeth. They went from totally covered in brown tartar to sparkly white. She has crap teeth that are harder to keep clean. Lily's always had really nice teeth, but they also cleaned up on raw. Her top canines are the only ones with slight tartar.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

I'll say again, I've not seen much proof of the "you can't feed raw and kibble together" rule and I have at this point known hundreds of raw fed dogs, fed in every way imaginable (all RMBs, prey model, raw and kibble fed together/separately, all ground, with veggies/grains/carbs and without, whole prey, etc, etc).

The gulping issue...it depends on the dog I think. It's rarely an issue but it can be an issue. A friend of mine just had a bad time with her dog having a colon obstruction from chicken necks of all things and that dog has been raw fed from weaning on. Loki eats all RMBs without issue except turkey necks - she will swallow them whole and choke on them. Turkey necks are huge, so the theory of giving bigger stuff to discourage gulping doesn't work with her. I also know another raw fed since weaning dog who had an colon obstruction from a turkey neck. OTOH my GSDs were all gulpers, they never crunched anything more than a couple times and never had any issues at all. However, giving "recreational bones" (large hard beef bones) caused pretty bad wear and breaking with their teeth. As old dogs their teeth were clean but many were worn all the way down to the gums. There is a definite risk with such bones as far as breaking/wearing teeth down.

And as far as dental health goes, IME raw fed dogs pretty much always have better teeth than kibble fed dogs regardless of what sort of raw feeding their owner does. Most dogs are not chewing RMBs enough for the bones to be cleaning their teeth. However, feeding raw food in itself means the dogs tend to have better digestion, are using their molars as they were intended (crunching bones vs. chewing cereal) and not having a big build up of gooey, paste-y wet kibble residue. That said, I do feel dental health is also genetic. Some dogs have weaker/softer teeth, teeth with more shallow roots and/or lack proper enzymes in their saliva and even with the most ideal diet, these dogs may still need some extra help in the dental area, although not usually enough to require a cleaning at the vet's. Jagger gets a lot of RMBs but his upper canines get tartar on them that I have to scale off - the rest of his teeth look great!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Obey the Toad.

Aren't there other nutritional benefits to bone and raw in general besides dental? Would feeding ground raw be better than feeding kibble even if there aren't whole hones involved?

The thing is that if I had no choice but to feed the raw with whole bones I don't think I'd feed are at all. I know that dogs can get obstructions from totally random things anyway, but I don't think I'd ever forgive myself if Jack had to go through surgery again because of something I gave him. I wouldn't be so worried about Sally because she actually chews her food, but if you've ever seen an alligator gulp down meat, that is how Jack eats. His teeth are just there to secure the food while he swallows it-lol. I once gave him a frozen turkey neck and he literally got in down in one piece and three gulps-I nearly had a stroke, but he was fine. He's also attempted to swallow a dead bird whole after Sally killed it.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.