Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I like GoGoGo with the self-control to handle it given good structure and appropriate outlets.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Owned by Belgians

I'm getting old and less mobil, but all my dogs are happy to take as many naps with me as I like. My two oldest (Belgian Shepherds) have developed enough injuries that they cannot do excessive exercise anymore. Not as good for them as it is for me. My Malinois likes nice easy walks with me. My Laekenois wants to run, but has some sore hips.

My youngest (Dutch Shepherd) is happy to go outside alone and survey his domain for evil rabbits and squirrels if I'm inside busy on the computer. (While the Belgians are inside watching my every move.) Typical of his breed, he needs to run, so I take him to a vacant field in an office park where he can run and explore and I can stand in one place and watch him.

One of our club officers has 3 long-hair Dutch Shepherds. Her young female will run around the house three times when she first lets her outside. They have to do it, but they are nice quiet dogs in the house. (except when the evil critters are lurking outside)

I just remembered an incident with my Dutch boy driving home from a dog show. He was 18 months at the time and just spent 3 long days at shows and in the car. I stopped at a truck stop so we could have some space for exercise. I drove all the way to the back near some farmer's crops and put him on a 15 foot lead.

He was really sniffy, so I dropped the lead to give him some room. He wandered around sniffing for a couple of minutes, then he looked at me with a glint in his eye, and took off running full speed into the farmer's field in a straight line.

Just before he was out of sight, he stopped, turned around and ran back to me on the same track he took going out. He came up to me and laughed in my face!! He's a momma's dog, and never leaves my sight, and that's what he did that day.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm All Ears

My dogs right now haven't had anything really today. Mia did get a 15 min ball session at 6 am but that's it. They had to be penned while I was working then I had to run to the store. It's been a long day for them. They've been exercised a lot all weekend. But not yesterday.

I came home and they ran outside for a bit then came in. Mia is walking around and chewing her chewies and is now climbing in my lap wanting attention. Now she's whining and jumped off the couch. Now she's back to me, paw on me and whine. Up and down off the couch repeatedly. Jump up to lick me then back for the chew... Summer has been doing laps (walking) around the house and now has a chew. I don't mind that my two really don't lay still. As long as they are relatively behaving. I can tune them out really well. We will probably end up doing a short walk and training and certainly a good ball game before bed.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'm finding little by little that I am less and less interested in being a serious dog sport competitor, and more looking for a dog that is great at being outdoors for things like hiking, camping, skijoring, etc. I still want to dabble in things like agility, rally, tracking, and so on, but I don't think I'll ever be the person who spends every weekend possibly at a trial or at the training club.

Because of that I am also finding that I am less interested in (well, just as interested, but less SUITED for) high drive/serious competition/more geared towards behavior problem type dogs. I still someday want to own an ACD, absolutely. But I think my next few dogs will be more low/different drive and higher energy. I'm thinking breeds like scent hounds, sporting breeds, OES, maybe a husky (if Ryan gets his way). Breeds that can go all day long, but seem to be less prone to reactivity/noise phobias/sharpness. If that makes sense.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I really want a sport dog. Just one. And an elderly or two to balance the chaos out.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I really want a sport dog. Just one. And an elderly or two to balance the chaos out.
That's the dream.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM
orange iguanas.

I really like lazy dogs. Because I am a lazy person. But unfortunately, all the breeds that I am interested in... are not known for being lazy.

At 3.5 years old Juno is finally starting to turn into my ideal. She is not bouncing off the walls crazy anymore... most of the time. We go for a walk or two most days of the week, go to the dog park a couple times a month, maybe get her a bone to chew on once in a while, and she's pretty content to hang out otherwise. But she'll go 100mph all day long if you ask her to. This afternoon, she was laying in a chair outside on the deck, basking in the sun, totally relaxed and chilled out. I stepped out there for a second and she FLEW off the chair, ran down into the yard and was all "OHMAGAW LET'S PLAY!!!! "

Lucy is lazy lazy lazy, and most of the time that suits me just fine, BUT what I don't like is that she is not capable of increasing her energy level. She only has one speed and that is 0 lol. So that kind of sucks because I can't do fun and exciting things with her, because she doesn't want to be removed from the couch. It's okay because Juno is there to balance her out, but I wouldn't like it if she was my only dog.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

go,go,go,go,go,go....Most definitely!!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
such sights to show you

Well in a perfect world go, go, go when *I* want to go, and slow, slow, slow when *I* want to be slow.

But in the real world if those were my only two choices, I'd pick go, go, go. Although I tend to be lazy, if I had a lazy dog then I'd just laze around the house even more than I do. Go, go, go dogs help keep me active and trying new things.