Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Kootenay - did you purchase your pup from the breeder listed at the beginning of this thread? If not, could you post the kennel name that you got him from? I'm very interested.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
And yet several breeders ended up with her dogs? And are crossing them with wolf hybrids?
I don't know where "several breeders" have her dogs. There's the noble paws people, and I don't know the story behind them. Then there's the aatu tamaskan people who have one dog (that I know of) to use as a POSSIBLE outcross. The aatus are operating out of a very small genepool and are bringing in additional foundation stock to try and correct some issues (idiopathic epilepsy) and widen the gene pool a bit. I'm not sure where it's a problem for a breed club to explore the possibility of utilizing a health tested temperament tested dog from ANCD lines and it's okay with the ANCD breeder that her dog is POSSIBLY used. Because he hasn't been used yet. You make it sound like these people are churning out half a dozen litters a year and peddling them through puppyfind, and really that's not the case. At all.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Kootenay - did you purchase your pup from the breeder listed at the beginning of this thread? If not, could you post the kennel name that you got him from? I'm very interested.
Yes, I got him from Ann Dresselhaus, the breed founder. I believe at this time she is the only person breeding ANCDs.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Twin 2

Aesthetics might not be the main thing that draws people to a breed or makes them get one but it sure is there for a lot of people. I was attracted to Koolies just by their description, but I'm not gonna lie and say that them being really pretty in my opinion didn't make me fall that much harder.

I really don't get why people get so upset when new breeds are created. Personally I think it's fascinating and pretty darn cool. If there is a niche and someone wants to fill it and is going about it responsibly (arguably more responsibly than a lot of breeders breeding established breeds) I really don't get the issue.

One of the big arguments against rescues is the unknown health and temperament. It's one of the big reasons I am not jumping up to get a shelter dog.

So, what's so wrong with creating a breed that fills the desire for a cool looking black wolf looking dog without taking and twisting other breeds, with health and temperament testing and high standards.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Aesthetics might not be the main thing that draws people to a breed or makes them get one but it sure is there for a lot of people. I was attracted to Koolies just by their description, but I'm not gonna lie and say that them being really pretty in my opinion didn't make me fall that much harder.

I really don't get why people get so upset when new breeds are created. Personally I think it's fascinating and pretty darn cool. If there is a niche and someone wants to fill it and is going about it responsibly (arguably more responsibly than a lot of breeders breeding established breeds) I really don't get the issue.

One of the big arguments against rescues is the unknown health and temperament. It's one of the big reasons I am not jumping up to get a shelter dog.

So, what's so wrong with creating a breed that fills the desire for a cool looking black wolf looking dog without taking and twisting other breeds, with health and temperament testing and high standards.
Totally agree with this. Also, completely off topic, but you have Koolies! Cool! My good friend/roommate has a lovely 10 month old Koolie/Coolie (her breeder spelled it Coolie) pup, who is my Yarrow's best friend! One of very very few in Canada. He's a super dog!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Totally agree with this. Also, completely off topic, but you have Koolies! Cool! My good friend/roommate has a lovely 10 month old Koolie/Coolie (her breeder spelled it Coolie) pup, who is my Yarrow's best friend! One of very very few in Canada. He's a super dog!
Very neat! There are a couple breeders in Canada and both spell it with a 'C' so that makes sense. It's the same breed just some breeders call them German Coolies and others Australian Koolies (or variations of both). You'll have to post some pictures of your roommates dog!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

You all act like toy breeds don't exist for purely this purpose - good natured companion dogs with a specific look.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

Toys are all tiny dogs though

Really, doesn't it seem only natural that modern people would create modern breeds? People throughout history developed breeds of dogs for all different purposes.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Top Dog

I got way behind on this but basically I agree with Lyzelle. I don't understand breeding for looks, really... In fact I find my favorite breed to be rather unappealing as far as aesthetics are concerned. But whatever floats your boat, I mean arguing on this forum isn't going to change anything.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
I got way behind on this but basically I agree with Lyzelle. I don't understand breeding for looks, really... In fact I find my favorite breed to be rather unappealing as far as aesthetics are concerned. But whatever floats your boat, I mean arguing on this forum isn't going to change anything.
would you rather people **** all over a good working breed & turn it to crap or just make a "useless piece of fluff" from the start? would you rather they get dogs w/ very little% of wolf or an F1 wolfdog, or an F3 87.5% wolf wolfdog? many of the people that get dogs these days would NOT have gotten a dog when i was a kid, but 3-4 decades of disney has convinced them they can get a dog & it'll train itself & be good just because they "love" it.