Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,878
Default

Kootenay - did you purchase your pup from the breeder listed at the beginning of this thread? If not, could you post the kennel name that you got him from? I'm very interested.
__________________

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
And yet several breeders ended up with her dogs? And are crossing them with wolf hybrids?
I don't know where "several breeders" have her dogs. There's the noble paws people, and I don't know the story behind them. Then there's the aatu tamaskan people who have one dog (that I know of) to use as a POSSIBLE outcross. The aatus are operating out of a very small genepool and are bringing in additional foundation stock to try and correct some issues (idiopathic epilepsy) and widen the gene pool a bit. I'm not sure where it's a problem for a breed club to explore the possibility of utilizing a health tested temperament tested dog from ANCD lines and it's okay with the ANCD breeder that her dog is POSSIBLY used. Because he hasn't been used yet. You make it sound like these people are churning out half a dozen litters a year and peddling them through puppyfind, and really that's not the case. At all.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Kootenay's Avatar
Kootenay Kootenay is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Kootenay - did you purchase your pup from the breeder listed at the beginning of this thread? If not, could you post the kennel name that you got him from? I'm very interested.
Yes, I got him from Ann Dresselhaus, the breed founder. I believe at this time she is the only person breeding ANCDs.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,679
Default

Aesthetics might not be the main thing that draws people to a breed or makes them get one but it sure is there for a lot of people. I was attracted to Koolies just by their description, but I'm not gonna lie and say that them being really pretty in my opinion didn't make me fall that much harder.

I really don't get why people get so upset when new breeds are created. Personally I think it's fascinating and pretty darn cool. If there is a niche and someone wants to fill it and is going about it responsibly (arguably more responsibly than a lot of breeders breeding established breeds) I really don't get the issue.

One of the big arguments against rescues is the unknown health and temperament. It's one of the big reasons I am not jumping up to get a shelter dog.

So, what's so wrong with creating a breed that fills the desire for a cool looking black wolf looking dog without taking and twisting other breeds, with health and temperament testing and high standards.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Kootenay's Avatar
Kootenay Kootenay is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Aesthetics might not be the main thing that draws people to a breed or makes them get one but it sure is there for a lot of people. I was attracted to Koolies just by their description, but I'm not gonna lie and say that them being really pretty in my opinion didn't make me fall that much harder.

I really don't get why people get so upset when new breeds are created. Personally I think it's fascinating and pretty darn cool. If there is a niche and someone wants to fill it and is going about it responsibly (arguably more responsibly than a lot of breeders breeding established breeds) I really don't get the issue.

One of the big arguments against rescues is the unknown health and temperament. It's one of the big reasons I am not jumping up to get a shelter dog.

So, what's so wrong with creating a breed that fills the desire for a cool looking black wolf looking dog without taking and twisting other breeds, with health and temperament testing and high standards.
Totally agree with this. Also, completely off topic, but you have Koolies! Cool! My good friend/roommate has a lovely 10 month old Koolie/Coolie (her breeder spelled it Coolie) pup, who is my Yarrow's best friend! One of very very few in Canada. He's a super dog!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Totally agree with this. Also, completely off topic, but you have Koolies! Cool! My good friend/roommate has a lovely 10 month old Koolie/Coolie (her breeder spelled it Coolie) pup, who is my Yarrow's best friend! One of very very few in Canada. He's a super dog!
Very neat! There are a couple breeders in Canada and both spell it with a 'C' so that makes sense. It's the same breed just some breeders call them German Coolies and others Australian Koolies (or variations of both). You'll have to post some pictures of your roommates dog!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
RD's Avatar
RD RD is offline
Are you dead yet?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 15,384
Default

You all act like toy breeds don't exist for purely this purpose - good natured companion dogs with a specific look.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Toys are all tiny dogs though

Really, doesn't it seem only natural that modern people would create modern breeds? People throughout history developed breeds of dogs for all different purposes.
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
cliffdog's Avatar
cliffdog cliffdog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 349
Default

I got way behind on this but basically I agree with Lyzelle. I don't understand breeding for looks, really... In fact I find my favorite breed to be rather unappealing as far as aesthetics are concerned. But whatever floats your boat, I mean arguing on this forum isn't going to change anything.
__________________

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
I got way behind on this but basically I agree with Lyzelle. I don't understand breeding for looks, really... In fact I find my favorite breed to be rather unappealing as far as aesthetics are concerned. But whatever floats your boat, I mean arguing on this forum isn't going to change anything.
would you rather people **** all over a good working breed & turn it to crap or just make a "useless piece of fluff" from the start? would you rather they get dogs w/ very little% of wolf or an F1 wolfdog, or an F3 87.5% wolf wolfdog? many of the people that get dogs these days would NOT have gotten a dog when i was a kid, but 3-4 decades of disney has convinced them they can get a dog & it'll train itself & be good just because they "love" it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site