Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Since I can't quote everyone from my phone I'll try to answer the questions, but I may miss someone.

As for working 5hrs a day, I applied for part time because I have other things I have to do. For one I am starting school soon, I also take music classes during the week, and I have responsibilities at home. But yes a latge part of it is the strain that it puts on my back and feet. I am waiting for my first paycheck to buy new shoes. I bought new shoes for the job and they are not working out. Anyway, I would have understood if my employer had told me that 5hr shifts would not work out. I would have said "thank you very much but that is all I can do" and I would have quit. However she said that would be absolutely no problem, and was glad I asked her before just quitting because other employees were quitting without ever asking for accommodations. I don't know where you people work who are saying you can't get 4-5 hr shifts. I have an interview on Thurs for a job with 3hr shifts and people that I work with at my current job work 4hr shifts with no problems from the managers. It's definitely not unheard of, and for a first job (which is what this is for me) doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 5hrs 6 days a week is 30hrs. Part time is 25-30hrs.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I.hate.cleaning. That is all.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Are you dead yet?

I just don't understand, weren't you trying for a long time to get a job? I wish I was able to just quit... lol

I honestly do have a vent. Tony and I have a lot of "mutual friends" and out of all of them, maybe one of them will actually talk to me when he's not around. Makes me feel like utter worthless ****.

Same thing goes for his mom lately. She wants absolutely nothing to do with me and I have no idea what I did wrong.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Since I can't quote everyone from my phone I'll try to answer the questions, but I may miss someone.

As for working 5hrs a day, I applied for part time because I have other things I have to do. For one I am starting school soon, I also take music classes during the week, and I have responsibilities at home. But yes a latge part of it is the strain that it puts on my back and feet. I am waiting for my first paycheck to buy new shoes. I bought new shoes for the job and they are not working out. Anyway, I would have understood if my employer had told me that 5hr shifts would not work out. I would have said "thank you very much but that is all I can do" and I would have quit. However she said that would be absolutely no problem, and was glad I asked her before just quitting because other employees were quitting without ever asking for accommodations. I don't know where you people work who are saying you can't get 4-5 hr shifts. I have an interview on Thurs for a job with 3hr shifts and people that I work with at my current job work 4hr shifts with no problems from the managers. It's definitely not unheard of, and for a first job (which is what this is for me) doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 5hrs 6 days a week is 30hrs. Part time is 25-30hrs.
Also, let me say. This is a rant/venting thread. And I have mentioned repeatedly that I appreciate the efforts on my managers part. They've been extremely nice and accommodating to me. I'm not lazy, I'm a good worker. I work hard and I go above and beyond my actual job description. I go out of my way to be extremely flexible about the hours I work (as in morning afternoon or evening shifts). I appreciate this job. Especially in a time when they are hard to come by. But that doesn't change the fact that I was told 5hr shifts would be no problem and now they are becoming a problem. I'm well aware that retail is not for me. I have been working 8 and 9 hour shifts intermittently since I started this job. I hesitated to even ask for less hours but it was either that or have to quit the job. It's still that way. I'm lucky enough that I don't need this job to live. I live at home and I need money to continue taking the music lessons that will hopefully help me in my career someday, but I can afford to quit my job if I have to. I'm not going to come home crying every night of I don't have to. And if I'm unable to get the hours I need, then I'll quit. But I'm doing everything I can to keep this job.

Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I just don't understand, weren't you trying for a long time to get a job? I wish I was able to just quit... lol
Yes, but I was being really picky. All the jobs that have been available have been retail jobs which is where I'm working now. I've been trying for a long time to find a job where I wouldn't have to be on my feet all day, because I physically can't be on my feet for long periods (I have back problems and I'm overweight which doesn't help me out). But I haven't been able to find anything so I said "screw it" and got the first retail job I applied for.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Personally, I'd rather do three 8 hour shifts rather than five 5 hour shifts. That means you have more days off. After getting dressed and driving to work, I'd want to make it worth my while.

I had a friend in college (who wasn't IN school at the time) who wanted a desk job working 10-2pm everyday. She was truely surprised that she couldn't find one.

Have you looked into working at a grocery store, Lauren? When I worked at Publix, they were really flexible with their hours. A lot of the baggers would do 3 hour shifts.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

My back hurts worse this morning.

Also I hate change, and while a whole bunch of exiting new things are starting in my life, and that's great, a whole bunch of new things are starting in my life, and that's terrible.

I'm having trouble adjusting to our new roommate (who is a lovely, lovely person), and I think it's more because she came in at a time when I'm going through the most stressful summer of my life.

I need hugs from my boyfriend, but he just wants to talk about 'what's bothering me.' And that's not helping.

Ergh.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Getting ready to leave to go back to MI at the end of the month. Since May, we have been living in a 14' pop up camper at my work, which is a campground. We pay the same site fee as huge RV's. Fine, whatever, I don't care.

Josh talked to my boss about moving into a lodge if we sold our camper before we left. Boss said it was fine, the same hours would cover the lodge. Awesome. Now, we actually have it sold and it is due to be taken away on Saturday. Now boss says they may give me another day to work to pay off the lodge. I'm so tempted to just leave early. But, if we stay until the end of the month, that is another paycheck for Josh, which could really help us get on our feet back in MI. This place has done nothing but screw me the eff over.

Ugh. Why can't people just stick to what they say?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Yes, but I was being really picky. All the jobs that have been available have been retail jobs which is where I'm working now. I've been trying for a long time to find a job where I wouldn't have to be on my feet all day, because I physically can't be on my feet for long periods (I have back problems and I'm overweight which doesn't help me out). But I haven't been able to find anything so I said "screw it" and got the first retail job I applied for.
If I recall correctly you've been refusing to see a medical doctor or chiropractor for the issues you have. Honestly the only way you'll convince an employer you have an actual medical issue barring you from working a normal shift is with a legitimate doctors note. If you want your short shifts then I advise you to seek medical care for your issues and get documented proof to pass on to your employer.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I think you have this vision of what a job is, and it's just not realistic. Its a job, not a career. Big difference. Plus, you're the new person. You will get the shifts others don't want.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13