Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
This is a response to Terrierman's blog about corgis, including a video of a working Cardigan in Sweden.

http://www.prickeared.com/blog/2011/...orking-corgis/
Great blog post! Sobering to think of the effect of modernization on all our working breeds though. The job openings are relatively few and far between anymore.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Do you know if there were any laws that effected the size of the corgi? Like with the wheaten it was originally to look similar to a wolfhound which only nobility could legally own (due to size).
I have never heard that in reference to Corgis. The Corgi breeds are ancient though, so their early history is not really known.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Thanks, just curious!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
I'll ask my corgi friends.

If it isn't a jack that guy doesn't like it, I long ago stopped reading his drivel. Especially because of his distain for the pit bull so it's no shock he's going after another breed questioning it's validity.
You should read his opinions about companion breeds.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Glutton for Crazy

The horror! God forbid we have some good family pets.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I think that the idea they were selected for short legs so they would be harder to kick is a myth. I suspect the short legs (dwarfism) just happened and the dogs worked fine and were smaller, so cheaper to keep. Ziggy does eat less than my Belgians for sure.

Herding isn't as straight forward as "do they work as well as a BC but with a different style"? That is kind of like asking if Brittanys work as well as Labs but with a different style - they are bred for similar purpose but different jobs. BC style herding and GSD style herding for example are so extremely different, that a good GSD may seem like a horrible herding dog if being evaluated/worked in a typical modern manner by BC people. And a GSD who is great at the type of small flock, farm herding most people today train for may not be a great GSD herding-wise. It's not a matter of style, it's that the jobs were so different that the you can take 3 different herding breeds and have 3 very, very different approaches to herding.

This is a response to Terrierman's blog about corgis, including a video of a working Cardigan in Sweden.

http://www.prickeared.com/blog/2011/...orking-corgis/
Excellent, thanks very much! Great stuff.

Thanks for all of the answers.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
For interest:

(Okay, WTF happened?? LOL
Cor with a circumflex actually means choir in Welsh, if that helps
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Not a Border Collie

My herding trainer hosted a herding trial for the Canadian Cardigan Corgi Club not too long ago and I was lucky enough to go watch. What a blast! It was awesome to see them work and boogie - as a kid I had a Vallhund that we would show with some Cardi people, so I only ever saw them in a conformation setting. There was a little bit of variety in the breed (a few really dainty bitches I wanted to take him!) but for the most part they were quick, drives little dogs that didn't waste much time with the sheep. I could totally see myself with one.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Do you know if there were any laws that effected the size of the corgi? Like with the wheaten it was originally to look similar to a wolfhound which only nobility could legally own (due to size).
i'm gonna call BS on this
1. the original IW of legend was a true heavy sighthound that came in both wire & smooth coat (as can be seen on celtic period art) but NOT long & fluffy
2. by the time the modern IW was created there were no laws restricting who could own what breed of dog beyond the nation wide ban on bulldogs in britain
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM
and Fozzie B!

My great Aunt has one of the most prestigious Quarter Horse/cattle ranches in Texas, and her livestock is EXCLUSIVELY worked by a hilarious gang of Corgis. Including Gramps who is at least 15 by now. Hers are the first Corgis I met and loved. Those dogs are absolutely tough, fiery working dogs. They do much more than worry the cattle, they drive them out every day without being told to, because they know that's their job.

Corgis are drovers, so to people not familiar with herding, it might look like they're doing nothing but barking and harassing. They are supposed to spread the livestock out to graze, not gather them like Border Collies. I've heard people speculate about whether or not Corgis were meant to be dwarfs. But anyone with a Corgi knows how insanely nimble they are and able to turn literally on a dime, so I'm convinced that form does follow function. Fozzie is amazing at dodging the nips of Border Collies.

It's sad that so many Corgis, Pembrokes in particular, are incredibly watered down by pet and show breeders. They've become very popular with puppy mills/BYBs and most of the Pemmies I meet are submissive and soft as heck... although I love them all the same, a Corgi should never be a pushover.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie