Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I agree with the others...being an adult sucks sometimes...but until money trees become real someone has to pay the bills! Happy Tuesday y'all!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I worked 8 hours today but groomed 17 dogs. I am dead r
Tired. Then I had a meeting tonight and just got home.
Same!!! Except it was 10 hours, and 12 dogs (3 Standard Poodles UGH the drying and combing out )... and I'm pregnant. I really thought grooming would be so much more glamorous and care free! I was wrong.

I agree that working sucks and can be painful, but you really do adjust to it physically. Grooming is by far the most physically demanding job I've ever had, even more physical than running back and fourth walking 300+ dogs across a huge pet hotel. I'm still going to work for as long as I can possibly can because money is awesome and it's really hard to get a job, much less an easy job.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Felurian

Oh, and working for yourself? Where you're your own boss?

Nope. When you work for yourself every single customer/client/patron is your boss, along with the IRS, every government entity from the local level where you get your business license on up, and you have all the administrative headaches and you don't get to go home after your shift is done and forget about it all.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Sorry but when someone tells me they're going to do something I expect them to do it. Especially a professional. I made it clear that 5 hours was all I could work and was assured those were the hours I'd be working. I'm aware of the fact that she was nice to give me the 5hrs I asked for, I clearly stated so. However I'm unable to work 8 hours (which is what it actually is, 7 was a typo) and I already went out of my way and worked extra hours last week when they didn't have anyone to work and it nearly killed me. They assured me I'd only have those hours for that one week and that after that I would have 5hrs a day max. And I already know this isn't the job for me, I'm already applying other places lol. It doesn't change the fact that my manager told me one thing and did something else. Doesn't exactly make me happy to work at a place that doesn't keep it's promises to its employees.
Don't feel like you have to answer lol but why can you only work that many hours? Sometimes it just takes a while to get used to being on your feet. A good pair of shoes is CRUCIAL. I used to have shoes that would kill my feet just taking my dog for a 10 minute walk. It was hell actually wearing them to work. When I started working 11 hour days (no sitting except for my 1 hour lunch) it would kill my legs/feet, but eventually my body got used to it + I got better shoes. I don't even notice it now.

Unfortunately many jobs require you to be on your feet for long periods, especially for people with limited/no experience.... because then all you really get are retail positions.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

Yep. Shoes really do make the difference. Especially if you are flat footed, like my DH.

On another note relating to the thread, I'm seriously backed up on commissions. I have one that I took 6 months ago and I haven't finished it yet. Why? Because I have to do it from scratch, I have NO direction from the person who hired me, and my muse is completely shot. And this is even one of the freebies I handed out to get business going. And I guess it isn't terrible. Scratch work usually takes other people around 4-6 months. But still. I'm used to pumping this sort of thing out in 2 weeks or less.

Sigh. I'm screwing myself here. I love doing artwork, but I don't think I can do this for a living.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

I think it would be really hard to find a job with only 5 hour shifts..even a part time job usually has 8 hour shifts at the least. My (full time) job is 9-9 1/2 hour shifts every day. That's not counting our hour lunch that we sometimes don't get to take. And it's at an animal hospital, so no sitting
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Top Dog

The only 5 hour shift I know of is working as a Dog Food Rep...usually 4-6 hours a day, four days over the weekend.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I usually have a 5 hour shift - but I work in retail, and I only work parttime, so I work 10-3. I do stay longer if I'm needed to though, which doesn't bother me - my feet kill if I work the full 9 hour shift though - mostly because Im not used to it though.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Twin 2.0

Lunch shift at a restaurant is the only place I've ever heard of giving 4-5 hours of work.

Good shoes are amazing. I used to buy the $30 shoes, think I was doing myself a huge favor...and then I discovered why someone can legitately charge $80-$120/pair for shoes. OMG, the comfort! The durability!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM
We are Home.

Just spent a week in the hospital with Savannah and Jeremy had to work 12 hr shifts most of it over a hour from the hospital. I had all 3 kids and couldnt leave the room. Finally the last 2 days Bev went to Kerrys and Jeremy finally got 2 days off but the rest of it I was with them alone. While Jeremy tried to get even a tad shorter shifts didnt ask to take the one off where we got admitted so I got to do all the intake alone which included a catheter and a blood draw along with the paper work. All the while his coworker is complaining hes tired and needs time off for entertainment things and gets to go home early because he wouldnt stop complaining how tired he was yet Jeremys daughter is in the ****ing hospital and cant get it off and gets his job threatened.

I also want to move NOW and the job that was going to allow that got given to someone else so we are still at 6 10-12 hour days a week in a place we cant wait to leave.

Im sick of raising the kids by myself basically. Im sick of Jeremy missing alot of Savannahs first months because of work. Im sick of his boss who literally is trying to break our family up so that he can have Jeremy work without any commitments to things for our family.

Im sick of my husband feeling the same and me not being able to do anything to help.

To offset the vent. Im glad I have a husband that will do whatever it takes for his family to be cared for. Weve had our problems and always will but he makes me one happy woman and genuinly appreciates everything I do for him and never complains about what it takes to support our family.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Last edited by darkchild16; 09-11-2012 at 01:25 AM.