Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Default Healthy lunch, protein shakes etc?

Starting next week I'll be alone at home for lunch 3 times a week... I'm just not sure what I can get for lunch.

It needs to be filling though. I get sick if I'm hungry. I was thinking protein shakes but will they fill me up? I'm just tired of eating crap..
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

A good protein shake will definitely fill you up, but be careful, they can sometimes include a lot of extra sugar and carbs that you definitely don't need. I would look into getting a good protein powder and making your own.

My go-to lunch is a granny smith apple, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and sometimes 2 oz of cheese, sometimes I also eat ham with it... other times I do a sweet potato with cheese, or ham. Today it was an apple with PB and colby-jack cheese. It's surprisingly filling for what looks like a snack when it's on the plate. =P I'm mostly grain free these days but I also like to just take my ham and slices of cheese and make a roll-up and eat it that way; I hate lettuce or I would do the lettuce-wrap thingie. You could do wraps or sandwiches easy if you're not grain free.
Sometimes I also just make extra food for dinner just so I can save it for lunch later!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

I would die if all I "ate" was a shake. I have to eat real food or I'm no fun at all to be around.

I usually have some cooked meat like ground beef (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cinnamon.... may sound weird, but its magical i promise) or I make something like this: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...pork-carnitas/
Except I made mine in the crock pot and it worked just fine. They even got nice and carmalized. I used beef brisket to make this once in the crock pot also: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...ed-gyro-salad/
It was so good there are just no words. And I had leftover meat for the whole week. I made tacos and all kinds of things with it besides the gyro salad thing.

In winter I made this thing a few times with lamb stew meat, hot yellow curry powder, and I threw in chunked up acorn squash, swiss chard, carrots, tomatoes, onion, and whatever other tasty stuff I had lurking that needed eaten up. It was pretty tasty.

Its pretty much unlimited how creative you can get if you have a crock pot. Its so easy to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and get deliciousness.

Same if you've got some already cooked meat and a variety of fresh veggies with which to make a hearty salad or some other sort of combo. Doesn't take much time either. I usually make myself a big bowl of Pico every week and I put it on like everything. If I'm super lazy and just make an omlet or scrambled eggs I'll pile a bunch of pico on there. Really fast, tasty, and filling.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I'm making some chicken thai salad for lunches next week. WW pasta, chicken chunks, chopped veggies and dressing, likely the stuff we have in the fridge, but trying to get away from the sandwiches if I can for my son.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Big Dog

A freshly grilled beef burger with cheese and tater tots is one hell of a lunch. Indian food buffet is another but I keep it limited to once or twice a week. A shake afterwards settles things down.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Hummus is healthy and filling. Whole wheat wraps are always good, too. Load them with veggies, some ham, feta cheese. I add some balsamic vinaigrette. Delicious.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Blackout

Hummus is good. I like cheese, cultured almond, coconut, or soy milk, some ham and a good salad or veggie/fruit shake; both if I am very hungry.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard