Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

i dont have a pic of her from the side thats recent... but she doesnt look thin thanks to a lot of coat, but when you feel her her hip bones & spine are very prominant. cant do raw right now but i have a funny feeling that she would go down hill fast on raw. otherwise she is healthy, her eyes are bright & her coat is soft & shiny... she is just on the thin side.

i cant do the S&C much longer & was looking for another more cost effective way to put & keep weight on her, i think i am going to try satin balls tho, i can crumble them with her food.

she gets HW meds that also get round worms & hook worms & i always check for tapes in their poop when i pick it up.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm All Ears

Bernard keeps very thin even at four. We used to worry but he's healthy and active so we just leave it alone. We just can't put weight on him. Luckily he's fluffy. Trey was also that way his whole life.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've used Satin Balls before, they work wonderfully. I'm about to use them with Knox and Indy because they're so active, and like Sako, they just get loose poop if I feed them more. So Satin balls at night, kibble in the morning.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This too, my malinois were dreadful. Sloan started to even out around 2 and Backup is now balancing out as he approaches 3.
Steve was awful until he was approaching 3, even though he was neutered at 19 months.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Hawkeye has always been a very lean dog but he is also very active like your girl he eats 3.5-4 cups a day of Native Level 3 which has 500 calories per cup which is much higher than most other dry foods. I found calorie levels make a big difference in maintaining weight.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Scout never did gain any weight on high quality kibble (Evo and then Acana grain free rotation... also some THK and S&C's and various canned like NV Instinct, Merrick BG, etc.), even combining it with some whole rmb's, liver, eggs, and various other things.

However over the past year and eight months on full homemade prey model raw, she has steadily and healthfully filled out a LOT. And I noticed the addition of grass fed green tripe three nights a week did wonders to aid her digestion.
She went from 58lbs to being 64lbs last time I weighed her in April. I suspect she is closer to 70lbs now from how the agitation harness is fitting. She's still a lean mean running machine, but its really nice that her riblets aren't washboardy anymore and are actually covered with more muscle. She's only eating about 1lb to 1.5lbs a day.

That said I've heard Vertex is pretty frickin' awesome for helping put weight on hard keepers.

I never tried satin balls because most of whats in those recipes would make my dog violently ill (the cereals and grains and crap).
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I've used Satin Balls before, they work wonderfully. I'm about to use them with Knox and Indy because they're so active, and like Sako, they just get loose poop if I feed them more. So Satin balls at night, kibble in the morning.
Charliedog my Josefina looks JUST like your Knox. I know she isnt prolly going to gain any more weight, but see, the reason for this thread is because the frozen raw from stella & chewys (or any of them for that matter) is getting just too expensive & i needed an alternative to it, so i thought satin balls would be a good alternative.