Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
af basic allow the most access to phones during boot camp.
Lackland only allowed one phone call per week for 15 minutes. And it was often taken away if someone got in major trouble. I could imagine it being more strict in other fields.

Quote:
the Navy DOES go to sea quite often, it's the reason for their existence and while not common it is possible for a float to get extended. for example the ARG (amphibious ready group) & MEU (Marine expiditionary unit) on it's way home from a Med float that got sent to Liberia's civil war where they waited at sea for 3 months before getting greenlighted on a NEO (noncombatant evacuation operation). their 7 month float turned into 10 months. (my Pops spent 21 years in the Navy)
I can see it being possible, but like I said, it complete depends on the job. I didn't say it wasn't totally likely to happen, but it depends completely on the career field. We have pilots who are always in planes, but flying planes isn't the norm of the AF, if you get what I'm saying. Just depends on the job. The army actually has more planes/pilots than we do.

Quote:
because of technical demands the Navy & Coast Guard actually have the highest minimum ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery) score for entry.
AFQT scores of entry: (highest possible score is 99)
Air Force requires minimum of 50
Navy requires 35
Marines are qualified at 32, but can be accepted as low as 25 if they have any college credit.
Army accepts as low as 31.

Technical jobs, in ALL branches, require higher scores on the ASVAB. The career field you get is determined on your score on the ASVAB. So, yeah, if you're going to have a highly technical job, the Navy might require a higher score. But their minimum for enlistment is only 35, with a highschool diploma required for any score under 50.

Quote:
keep in mind depending on the job he could also wind up army, AF & Marine bases. when I recruited for the Marines if i had kids that scored high enough & doing a medical job was make it or break it, i'd walk them over to the navy recruiter. i knew that sooner or later i was likely to see those kids patching up my Marines.
These days, only those with a Bachelor Degree in the Medical Field can be enlisted into the Med field. And yes, military branches often overlay each other. DH was at an Army base when he was in Tech School. It all depends on the job, honestly.

Quote:
until he is at least paygrade E-4 you're better off living on base, the property management companies around the base know your BAH to the penny & set rents accordingly. so if you live off base in any descent neighborhood, rent will take pretty much your whole BAH & you will pay utilities out of pocket.
the spouses (not all are wives) are as varied as anywhere else some are gossips, some are busybodies & some are good people doing good that will look out for you & be lifelong friends.
Totally agree with all of that. We got nickled and dimed pretty hard when we first arrived here, and were waiting to get into housing. Definitely something to think about.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Lyzelle, quick question for you.

How easy do you find it to have Zander? What if it were two dogs? I ask, because I'm slowly coming around to the idea of living wherever Mike happens to be stationed. I'm much less keen on the idea if that means I'm going to have to not only not be around family/friends, but not have my dogs. He has Cynder and if at all possible I'd like to keep her with us, just because she's a part of him and I love her for that. (Although I know his mom wants her for the same reason, but she doesn't care for her dogs like I care for mine and I really don't want Cynder to be with her long term...I'm really hoping I don't butt heads with her about that...) I already have something lined up for Gracie and Cooper (my parents will probably take them, or at least Gracie, and my sister would take Cooper if she's able). Chloe will likely be staying with my parents, but there is a possibility she would come with us, or I'll have my Lab. Either way, I'm planning on two dogs. No cats, no pocket pets.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Lyzelle, quick question for you.

How easy do you find it to have Zander? What if it were two dogs? I ask, because I'm slowly coming around to the idea of living wherever Mike happens to be stationed. I'm much less keen on the idea if that means I'm going to have to not only not be around family/friends, but not have my dogs. He has Cynder and if at all possible I'd like to keep her with us, just because she's a part of him and I love her for that. (Although I know his mom wants her for the same reason, but she doesn't care for her dogs like I care for mine and I really don't want Cynder to be with her long term...I'm really hoping I don't butt heads with her about that...) I already have something lined up for Gracie and Cooper (my parents will probably take them, or at least Gracie, and my sister would take Cooper if she's able). Chloe will likely be staying with my parents, but there is a possibility she would come with us, or I'll have my Lab. Either way, I'm planning on two dogs. No cats, no pocket pets.
I dunno about other military bases, but AF says no more than 2 uncaged pets (dogs or cats) on base in housing. And they have many banned breeds such as Pits, Akitas, Dobes, Rotts, etc. (Although, they aren't really enforcing it here. There's a woman on base with 3 Pits, and nothing has been said.) They will help move your pet when you are PCSing via military pet shipping, otherwise you pay for their travel. If you live off base, it doesn't really matter.

Zander was mostly a non-issue, and will continue to be. They have banned Sibes, but they grandfathered him in here. In the future, we're just referring to him as a Malamute, since he's the size of one anyway.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I can see it being possible, but like I said, it complete depends on the job. I didn't say it wasn't totally likely to happen, but it depends completely on the career field. We have pilots who are always in planes, but flying planes isn't the norm of the AF, if you get what I'm saying. Just depends on the job. The army actually has more planes/pilots than we do.
sea duty is sea duty. there are NO jobs in the navy that does not go to sea. EVERY ship has it's own barber, cooks, secretaries (yeomen, personel & disbursing clerks), plumbers, medical corpsman etc. even seals & seebeas go on floats. in fact the best chance of never going to sea is as an actual medical doctor, nurse or dentist but even they go to sea on the hospital ships or deploy to FOBs to provide medical care. we had navy security police dog handlers during my second trip to Iraq.

Quote:
AFQT scores of entry: (highest possible score is 99)
Air Force requires minimum of 50
Navy requires 35
Marines are qualified at 32, but can be accepted as low as 25 if they have any college credit.
Army accepts as low as 31.
the AFQT is a GENERAL qualification test. every branch breaks it down differently into what are called line scores, which are things like arithmetic, verbal, word knowledge, general technical etc. line scores are what actually determines what jobs an applicant qualifies for. it has happened that people had the AFQT, which is based on total correct answers in a percentile grading, but did not have ANY line scores to qualify for ANY job. likewise sometimes people score just below the minimum AFQT but have the line scores for a specific job.
i recruited for the Marine Corps in UT in 06&07 (before the economic downturn). at that time the AFQTs were 31, 35, 31 & 31, the ONLY way a guy w/ less than a 31 got in was by WAIVER in the last two weeks of SEP (end of the fiscal year). even then they had to have an AFQT of 28 AND line scores for a specific AVAILABLE job AND could not have any physical or moral waivers. you could have a doctorate & line scores, but if you had a 27 QT you weren't getting in (not totally crazy, had a guy go into the officer recruiting office w/ bachelor's in hand & he scored a 17).
the value of college credit is to offset the lack of a high school diploma or accelerated promotion so people go in at paygrade E-2 instead of E-1. for the Marine Corps, a GED had to also have 18 credit hours (about 1/4-1/3 of an associates) to get in. that was in a good economy. i would not be surprised if no GEDs were allowed RIGHT NOW by anyone as well as raising the minimum AFQT.

Quote:
These days, only those with a Bachelor Degree in the Medical Field can be enlisted into the Med field. And yes, military branches often overlay each other. DH was at an Army base when he was in Tech School. It all depends on the job, honestly.
that may or may not be true of the USAF (but i doubt it, as both the USMC & the Army will bring a guy in as an officer w/a bachelor's degree in basket weaving). the USAF, the army & the Navy have enlisted personnel that take blood pressure, temperature & sew stitches, take x-rays, etc BEFORE the sick service member sees a nurse or doctor. the sheer size of the army & naval medical corps prohibits restricting enlistment to people w/ bachelor degrees. the navy alone trains several thousand a year (as they staff both naval hospitals and provide medical corpsmen for the Marine Corps).
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Top Dog

Lyzelle and Pops I can not thank you both enough! You have really put my mind more at ease. And after our talk last night I am going but he still wants me to come back here for a while if he is deployed for a while. (that is a none issue I would do that anyway). One more question how are the daycare services on base normally? I know it varies widely but are there good places I can take Monkey man on base? Like a Play area or will i just have to go off?

blackrose that is the only question I knew the answer too :P It is the first thing I found out about all this. I am taking my Sibe X GSD Enoch but will most likely try and fine someone to watch my ratlet girls :'(
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

the actual day cares usually have a waiting list, but lots of people do in home daycare & the base requires they meet certain standards. most bases have a lot of amenities lots of playgrounds, jogging/bicycle trails (baby strollers & dog walking is most common though). alot of places also have pools & swim lessons, community centers w/ beginner classes in dance, gymnastics etc. unless they have a reason to come in & inspect the rodents shouldn't be a problem, most places don't regulate "caged" pets. also if they have a full hospital there are mental health services to help you w/ anxiety. if not tricare covers it at an off base provider.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

want to add get married before boot camp & ALWAYS carry the maximum SGLI life insurance. that way (god forbid) if there were a tragic accident in boot camp you'll get the cash AND you might be able to get his GI bill for you or your child. and you both qualify for scholarships that various agencies & charities have for widows & orphans.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Glutton for Crazy

^^ my moms advice as well.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Lackland only allowed one phone call per week for 15 minutes. And it was often taken away if someone got in major trouble. I could imagine it being more strict in other fields...
That's something fairly new. When our boys were at Lackland (2005 & 2007), they were only allowed one phone call within the first couple of days of BMT. That one was basicaly long enough to let us (or in the case of our oldest, his wife) know they got there, and what their address was.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
That's something fairly new. When our boys were at Lackland (2005 & 2007), they were only allowed one phone call within the first couple of days of BMT. That one was basicaly long enough to let us (or in the case of our oldest, his wife) know they got there, and what their address was.
Yeah, I got a phone call like that the end of the first week. He got there Monday, I think and I got the call Saturday. Following weeks were 15 minutes. This was 2011, so it could definitely be new.

ETA: DH says it depends on your MTI. They all work their flights differently.