Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Because a little dog behaving like a jerk is not as dangerous as a large dog. It's easier to shrug off their bad behavior. You're in deep doo-doo though if you have a german shepherd snarling at people.
The small dogs at work are always the worst... we are constantly muzzling chihuahuas and min pins and whatnot, but the large muzzles don't get taken out as often.

Even with my own dogs, some of the things Lucy does that I just say "whatever" about, I would NEVER allow from Juno.
This, and I also think that the general pet dog market (BYBs, puppy mills) really does see a higher demand for small dogs. Not that all little dogs are poorly bred, I just see way more "I bought it from a pet store" Chihuahuas, Yorkies and Shihs.

I personally adore small dogs- and I meet a lot of nice small dogs too. Actually, after working at a grooming shop, I changed my mind on Shih Tzus. I used to really dislike the breed, but I meet so many nice ones. The thing is, if my BC jumps on someone, it is a problem. If a Great Dane jumped on someone, it could cause injury. If a Pom jumps on someone, its annoying. You also have to keep in mind the average, run of the mill pet owner will only train their dog if there is a specific problem that needs to be fixed, and like I said, a bigger dog can be a liability if it isn't well behaved.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?