Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,292
Default

Most places here have a two pet limit. The complex Mike lives in doesn't care, which is why he can have the three little ones. Someone else has three dogs, too - a Dobe, a Coonhound, and a GSD mix. We could have four dogs out here and the landlord wouldn't care, as long as they aren't loud and are being picked up after. By, the lady that owns the complex isn't with a company, these are just her private buildings.

If we rent with four dogs, we'll have to find a private rental, not go through a company.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
yoko's Avatar
yoko yoko is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Most places here have a two pet limit. The complex Mike lives in doesn't care, which is why he can have the three little ones. Someone else has three dogs, too - a Dobe, a Coonhound, and a GSD mix. We could have four dogs out here and the landlord wouldn't care, as long as they aren't loud and are being picked up after. By, the lady that owns the complex isn't with a company, these are just her private buildings.

If we rent with four dogs, we'll have to find a private rental, not go through a company.
Private rents have a bad rap around here but they really do end up being easier than through big companies or apartments and most of the time you have a say about a lot of the stuff that goes into the contract. Also most of the ones I've talked to have utilities included.
__________________
Thank you Vivien and Angel Chicken for the siggy! Also I have been frosted!!! And as of 9/13/07 I know the secret handshake!


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Yep, I've rented for the past 12 years, and I really prefer large apartment complexes. Here in Ontario, landlords can't legally stop you from having pets, and I like the anonymity of living large buildings. No one cared when I added another dog, and I've seen all sorts of breeds here, including Dobes and Rotties.
You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home? A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home? A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.
This is what I thought when I read that, too. Lol!
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
shazbot shazbot is offline
not so newby
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,824
Default

We rent with 4 dogs, one them is 4 month old puppy. We haven't had a whole lot of problems finding a place. The places that tend to be ok with more dogs are usually further away from the city. I have all sorts of references for my dogs though, from old landlords, friends and vets. I also give them an option of coming in around 6 months later to see that there isn't any damage.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home? A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.
Yep. I guess it comes down to being very picky and choosing the right tenants, but I know of people who lie and say they have no pets, move in, and it's a long process if the landlord wants to evict them. I would personally never ever be a landlord here for that reason. I've had friends with horrible tenants living in their basements that they had hard times getting out. Personally, I've always been upfront about my pets, I wouldn't want to start a tenancy on the wrong foot like that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home? A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.
If your pet is being a nuisance/damaging property they can kick you out. They cannot kick you out just because you have a pet.

ETA: They can put "no pets" in the lease, which will keep many away because they just don't know their rights here, but as soon as that lease is signed, the "no pets" clause is not legal, and if there's a pet in the house, as long as it's not damaging property or causing problems, you can't do anything.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
FG167's Avatar
FG167 FG167 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 2,478
Default

I rented in MI with four dogs in two different houses and now we are renting in TN. It's a hassle but I am usually very honest with how much work is put into my dogs and generally that convinces people. Plus, I am comfortable with having any of my dogs met if need be as well.
__________________
~Falon~
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
If your pet is being a nuisance/damaging property they can kick you out. They cannot kick you out just because you have a pet.
But kicking people out even with just cause can be a long drawn out process. Landlords have to prove that the animal is a nuisance and go through the Landlord Tenant Board, with possible hearings, etc. I can see why many landlords try to avoid having tenants with pets, when bad owners ruin it for everyone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
But kicking people out even with just cause can be a long drawn out process. Landlords have to prove that the animal is a nuisance and go through the Landlord Tenant Board, with possible hearings, etc. I can see why many landlords try to avoid having tenants with pets, when bad owners ruin it for everyone.
Well yah... but it's also a long drawn out process to kick a tenant out for any reason
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site