Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

The breed was developed as a hunting and protection dog.

Straight from the RR club of the US:
Quote:
The settlers needed a dog that could flush a few partridge, pull down a wounded stag, or guard the farm from marauding animals and prowlers at night. They also needed a dog that could withstand the rigors of the African bush, hold up under drastic changes in temperature, from the heat of the day to nights below freezing, and go a full 24 hours or more without water if need be. They required a short-haired dog that would not be eaten alive by ticks. In addition, the settler needed a companion that would stay by him while he slept in the bush and that would be devoted to his wife and children.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Which is exactly where I got the quote I posted from.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
I'm not sure you're reading that quote correctly. Let me highlight the important part about hunting for you.

Quote:
The Ridgeback has been used successfully in hunting bobcat, mountain lion, bear, fox, squirrel, coyote, deer, wild boar and raccoon in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
It from the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of the United States. I gave the link I quoted the text from.

You can certainly say what a breed excels at and what a breed doesn't excel at, as a whole. Do you have those dogs that are different? Of course! Dogs are individuals. But you can also very much so speak in general terms for an entire breed as far as behavior. Not every dog will fit the description, but most should/will. For example, you can say that an American Pit Bull Terrier will have high prey drive, but no guarding instinct. Will that be true for every dog? No. But you can say that for the entire breed.

Hope that makes sense.
And how many club officers are involved in hunting? People can write all they want about their breed, but if they don't have first hand experience or references from people who do, that doesn't make it accurate. And to say that a hunting dog, bred for hunting, isn't suitable for hunting on this continent despite all the different types of game and terrain is kind of weird. I could understand if it was about water retrieves or something contrary to their heritage, but it's not.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Felurian

I know a bounty hunter here (coyote and hog) and, while he doesn't run Ridgies (or any dogs), some of the hunters he knows and has worked with do. In his opinion they're very effective.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've met quite a few, but only one or two that I liked. Both females, incidentally, which is weird, because I normally prefer boy dogs.

They were/are awesome dogs. Not clingy, but they carried themselves with, pride? dignity? I guess. One of them successfully defended her home from burglars, even after they threw a chiminea on her and crushed her hip. She's pretty old and stiff now. The other is around six or seven and she's a very cool dog. Bit nuts, but I'm pretty sure her owners don't do a lot of training with her or her brother, who is also a ridgie.

I don't know any that are used on game though.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
One of them successfully defended her home from burglars, even after they threw a chiminea on her and crushed her hip.
I read that as "threw a chimera on her"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I have no idea how to spell that word. One of those little freestanding chimney things that were so popular a couple years ago lol
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'm not sure you're reading that quote correctly. Let me highlight the important part about hunting for you.
No, I understood it perfectly and I reiterated what was said by the club that sets the standard for the breed. The very first line of that whole paragraph says... Yanno what, let me just get it again:

Quote:

Are they good for general hunting?

Not in the United States. The Ridgeback has been used successfully in hunting bobcat, mountain lion, bear, fox, squirrel, coyote, deer, wild boar and raccoon in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. There have been reports of Ridgebacks having been train to point upland game and retrieve game and fowl, but their true talents lie in cornering the prey for the hunter to finish off. As a rule, they are silent trailers and only bay once the prey is sighted. For this reason, Ridgebacks are not used alone to hunt deer, fox or raccoon unless they have a bell around their necks for location purposes. They can be hunted with breeds which are more vocal on a trail.
Nowadays, fewer states allow hunting with dogs in general, so most of today’s Ridgebacks are content to keep the backyard squirrel-free or to chase rabbits in a field. Most Ridgeback enthusiasts do their "hunting" these days on the lure coursing field chasing a white plastic bag! Lure coursing is a thrilling sport and fun for all the family to watch. Read all about it in "Starting Your Dog in Performance Events."
Perhaps it is not you reading what I said and what it said correctly. I never once said that they can not hunt the game I stated. I said that per the breed standard and a Rhodesian Ridgeback true to that standard would not be suitable for that sort of hunting. That is exactly what this paragraph is stating as well. It is stating the RR (true to standard) is not SUITABLE for that type of hunting. Not that it can't. And I never said that it can't, either. Of course you have dogs that are the exception...another thing I tried to explain, but things must have gotten lost in translation. You can make general comments about a breed and a breed standard...but never once did I say that ALL RR's will be that way. The same way you can say that an American Pit Bull Terrier will not herd. This is true for the breed, but not necessarily for all individual dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
And how many club officers are involved in hunting? People can write all they want about their breed, but if they don't have first hand experience or references from people who do, that doesn't make it accurate. And to say that a hunting dog, bred for hunting, isn't suitable for hunting on this continent despite all the different types of game and terrain is kind of weird. I could understand if it was about water retrieves or something contrary to their heritage, but it's not.
That is the club that founded the breed in the United States after they came from overseas. I would definitely say that when it comes to the breed standard that they set, they know what they are talking about.

Also, these dogs were bred for hunting, but not just general hunting. They were bred for tracking down and holding lion (big game), in a semi-open terrain, in packs, stalking silently and baying when the prey is found. They would often lose dogs. As said in the paragraph, most states do not allow this type of hunting with the type of game found in the US. The breed standard says these dogs are not suitable for this type of hunting, not that they can't...but that they are not suitable.

I hope I cleared this up. Don't want to be misunderstood again.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb