Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post

As with any breed of dog, I can not stress how important it is to go to a GOOD breeder. In all honesty, this is a dog that has a very delicate temperament. It's not hard to mess up and it's not hard to do the wrong thing. They are smart as a whip, and catch on very quickly to anything you teach them...which means whatever you do, good or bad, will leave a lasting impression. Very sensitive temperaments.

That said, I've also encountered few breeds that are as hard headed as a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are definitely "hound-y" in the way that they can be extremely independent, but still love you with all their little hearts. They get very attached to their owners. Not quite a velcro dog, but they have a typical sight hound temperament when it comes to their "masters". For example, Malyk likes and will kiss all over strangers that I welcome into the house because he knows I welcomed them in. If I don't welcome them in, he isn't like that. He is aloof. Out in public, he is aloof. He is GREAT with strangers, not aggressive (unless they are threatening), but he won't get super excited when we pass a group a people or a person if you know what I mean. He is pretty typical of a RR. He isn't aggressive, but he IS guardy, how they are supposed to be. He will flare up and low-growl if someone is approaching me threateningly. He's actually saved me from a pretty scary encounter. He has a pretty good sense with who is threatening and who is not. He does NOT like strange men handling him, that is one thing that may be peculiar about Malyk in particular.
based on a lot of personal experience, THIS is typical cur temperament (except for being delicate, likewise NONE of Matt's stock has ever been called delicate). however, based entirely on what i've been told by brit lurchermen & american wolfers, it is NOTHING like typical european sighthound temperament. this combined with the way they work cattle AND the way they hunt is why Matt says they are curs. after his description which is very similar to yours I agree. Matt has hunted w/ catahoulas & BMCs as well, so he has a pretty good idea of what he's saying when he says they are curs.