Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default What to look for in a credit union.

Sooo, up until recently I've been banking with a large bank that I really liked (just normal banking, no loans or stuff like that), but they have started charging $13 a month just to have a checking account. They also charge I believe $10 to have a savings account. I really can't afford to be giving away almost $25 a month JUST to have a place to put my money.

Ryan and I have talked on and off about moving to a credit union for a while now, I have a lot of co-workers who use CU's and seem to be really really happy with them. And now that I'm being charged for my accounts I am really thinking it is time to change, because even though $13 isn't a lot, that is $13 less that is being fed into my savings every month.

So I guess my question is what do you look for in a credit union? Just from looking at their sites they all look good, which is , of course, the point But I don't want to change banks only to be unhappy.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Behavior Nerd

I ask friends first to see what their experiences have been. Other than that we just went to the local (at the time) one we knew had a good reputation. We still use them despite moving out of state, too, as they are part of a CU exchange program that allows us to use a local CU in the same network for deposits and withdrawals.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

I know a lot of people who use AffinityPlus, and I've heard good things about them! I have a friend who works for Anoka Hennepin Credit Union, and she really, really likes them.

I second asking people for their experiences/opinions AND looking through websites to see what features they have and such.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Felurian

Usually the more locally oriented they are the better. I'm with TVA CU and I can't say enough good about them. They're as good as the banks I've dealt with were bad.

Ask your friends and really do take the local thing into consideration.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I went with the one my family uses, which is Delta CU. They're pretty awesome. I'd go in and talk to the tellers and just see what they have to tell you.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
I know a lot of people who use AffinityPlus, and I've heard good things about them! I have a friend who works for Anoka Hennepin Credit Union, and she really, really likes them.

I second asking people for their experiences/opinions AND looking through websites to see what features they have and such.
Yeah my brother uses Affinity Plus... and while he's not exactly the best person for advice lol he at least doesn't seem UNhappy with them!

I don't have a reason to leave my bank YET, but that's probably where I would go if I had to.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013