Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
As for being young, ha. I'm 28 years old and there is no affording changing careers now.
I'm 28 years old and work in a pet store. As much as I love it, I sure hope it ain't my career. I still want to pursue design/graphics jobs ad I still have lots of time, and so do you.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

I've had several careers. Between about 18 or 20 yrs old and now (I'm just about to turn 58) I've had the following jobs/"careers": A lot of the time I was a stay at home Mom so didn't work steadily. After my divorce, I did have to work more.

worked in a grocery store

pet store worker

worked in a vet's office for a short time

swim instructor/life guard

nanny to a family with 3 kids

licensed home daycare (in my home)

certified medical assistant

(the following I started somewhere in my 40's)

realtor

real estate investor

pharmacy tech

school bus driver

worked in a little store when I first moved to Priest Lake, Idaho, then cleaned cabins, did some landscaping and then started my...

dog trainer/behavior consultant business.

It's entirely possible I over looked something.

Okay, so those aren't careers, I guess. Nothing very glamorous. But it kept food on the table and the bills paid. And some of those jobs were interesting and rewarding. Some not so much. But you can do something that isn't your first choice for a while and work toward something that interests you more. Unless you have a terminal illness, you have lots of time to work toward your goal. (s) Disappointments happen. And that WAS a big disappointment, no doubt about it. But if you keep looking behind you, you won't see where you're going.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Okay, so those aren't careers, I guess. Nothing very glamorous. But it kept food on the table and the bills paid. And some of those jobs were interesting and rewarding. Some not so much. But you can do something that isn't your first choice for a while and work toward something that interests you more. Unless you have a terminal illness, you have lots of time to work toward your goal. (s) Disappointments happen. And that WAS a big disappointment, no doubt about it. But if you keep looking behind you, you won't see where you're going.
Great post Dober.

Beanie, I sure hope you aren't over the hill career-wise at 29, because that's my age and I'm further behind than you are!

It is really discouraging, and I'm so sorry things aren't working out as you hoped. There are still other jobs out there. Speaking as another artisty-type person, this is a great opportunity to develop new pieces for your portfolio. Are there any non-profits in the area that you could maybe volunteer for or even might hire you for contract work? Stuff like that would look good on a resume as well as beefing out your professional experience since that's what people keep passing you over on.

Or you could move to Seattle. There's a crap-ton of design jobs here. Wish I was qualified to even think about it, lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
<----Thanks Allie

28 is NOT too old to change careers, it happens ALL the time at ALL different times.

And, they did seem to really like you if he went out of his way to tell you that they would keep you in mind for a future position and that they're expanding so it might not even take that long. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right fit, but don't give up because it hasn't happened yet.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm All Ears

(((Hugs))) Beanie, I know how much those rejection letters suck.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

28 IS too old to change careers unless you guys are going to pay for the schooling, and my brand new mortgage on top of that. =P I can't just decide anymore "well graphic design is an over saturated market, guess I'll just go back to school and learn to do something else!!" It's not going to happen.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Are you dead yet?

Beanie I'm sorry. I know the feeling, I applied to so many places and it turned out the only place that wanted to hire me was Walmart, so I'm working a miserable overnight job and just saving up as much money as I can until I find a job I can actually enjoy.

Sometimes you just have to drop your standards altogether, as lame as that sounds. I can't believe how difficult jobs are to come by in some areas.