Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Default I hate big decisions. Biotech Careers?

I'm just sitting here mulling over my options, and I figured I'd ask all of you fine folk .

I've been back in school for a year now after my first failed attempt, all is going very well. I'm kind of at that point now where I must decide on a major, or I will be wasting time, money, not taking the right classes. I figured all along I would go into something medical...my first thought was radiology, maybe maybe nursing, but the programs are all swamped and has waiting lists. I looked into medical lab tech programs...there is only one that is near me, but still a very long drive. I wasn't 100% sold on it when I went for a tour. I looked into their curriculum and was kind of discouraged where the classes pretty much require a Mon-Thurs daytime commitment, for about two years. I'm working full time pet store retail right now, I NEED to cover bills, and although I can switch my schedule...Mon-Wed days are my biggest need to be there days. I've been there 3 years and I'm not sure I want to give it up to work at like Walmart nights for the next few years...ugh.

Anyways..so I sat down with an advisor, ran the classes I've taken against some different medical degrees, and decided on Respiratory Therapy. You can get a job right out of school, make decent money, the class schedule is ok but will still require some daytime clinical commitments eventually.

The closer I'm getting to starting the next semester, the more nervous I get I'm making a bad decision. I'm very calm under pressure, I like working with medical equipment and whatnot, I find it interesting...I just don't know if I want to work that closely with people. Granted it won't be like a customer service retail job, I'd be jamming breathing apparatuses down their throats and administering drugs...but I'm just not sure. I just think 'not sure' isn't a great way to be.

Now, since I've been researching degrees and jobs, I've kept coming back to biotechnology. My college offers a general studies, biotech option. It has a great schedule that would work for me, and the types of stuff I could do with the degree sounds great to me. Have any of you ever looked into this field, or do you have a degree in biotechnology? I think my biggest fear with such a general degree would be to walk out of school and not be able to find a job, or have to climb the ladder to make a decent salary. When I plug in biotech on the job search engines, it just seems like it isn't even really a 'job', you just have to fit it in to where someone will take a general biology degree? If that makes sense? But the college says they have local employers ready to hire people coming out the degree.

Sorry if it's tl;dr!
Jesus, I think I just need to marry rich. Solve all my problems!!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

I am a med tech so if you have specific questions regarding that, I can probably answer.

In my opinion, I think nix the scheduling conflict and pick what you think you will enjoy doing the most and make enough money to survive. I really like my job - the school schedule sucked, the test was HARD, the hardest thing I've done and I really like my job. It's not my passion but I enjoy what I do, I help people and it funds my hobbies fully (dogs).
Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

Thanks! Yeah I was serious into the MLT program until I met with the department head and had kind of an in depth introduction to it. It was OK, I liked the lab work part, I just wasn't 100% on it. I went to go schedule classes and I had to get some more paperwork in order..I was able to then see the course schedules, and just really balked at it. It's about an hour commute there too, and longer from work. The school I attend now is 45min from home, and 20minutes from work.

Oh, and I think we need some new Limit pics .