Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Behavior Nerd

Those teeth don't look broken to me, just worn down. You see it a fair amount in the typical tennis ball obsessed breeds (BCs, Mals, Labs, etc.) - they aren't at as big a risk of infection as broken teeth afaik. I honestly have no idea why the licking would be related to teeth - when my Maggie had a broken tooth she showed no symptoms at all until it got infected, then she just went off her food because it hurt to eat.

I've seen some dogs lick like that when they are nauseous, though again, not for that long. If it happens at a time where she's between meals it might be worth giving her a snack to see if that helps.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I've seen some dogs lick like that when they are nauseous, though again, not for that long. If it happens at a time where she's between meals it might be worth giving her a snack to see if that helps.
Ah, she has actually thrown up a few times when I've harshly (which isn't that harsh for her) told her to knock it off, starts to belch and I'll rush her out the door. That's why I quit stopping her from doing it, but she does have a sensitive tummy, I think I'll try that then! Give her a cookie when I see her doing it and see how it goes. I knew that someone might have something else creative to add that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll also have to start taking note of when she's doing this if it corresponds with days when she refused her breakfast, she does that often, although recently it's been dinner instead? Yes, I still think she's just weird . Thank you!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer is an obsessive licker so maybe that's why I wouldn't be too worried about Enda's behavior. Summer usually will lick something, be it you, the couch, or her paws. If I correct her for licking, she will resort to mid air licking. And it can go on a very long time.

But Summer is very OCD and quite neurotic at times.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Ah, she has actually thrown up a few times when I've harshly (which isn't that harsh for her) told her to knock it off, starts to belch and I'll rush her out the door. That's why I quit stopping her from doing it, but she does have a sensitive tummy, I think I'll try that then! Give her a cookie when I see her doing it and see how it goes. I knew that someone might have something else creative to add that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll also have to start taking note of when she's doing this if it corresponds with days when she refused her breakfast, she does that often, although recently it's been dinner instead? Yes, I still think she's just weird . Thank you!
Watch with that, though. If she's anything like Rosey, within a few times she'll learn to do it to get a cookie

I don't know what else it could be, although people at my work lick like that after a few drinks... are you sure she's not been drinking behind your back?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Jackson had a tooth problem and would often do this, and open and close his mouth too. Not for THAT long... but still. His canine tooth was poking his upper gum a bit, and he also had a dead tooth I did not know about until he went under. They shaved the canine tooth down and essentially "filled" it. I could tell he was way more comfortable almost immediately.

I'd be willing to bet it's a tooth problem.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

I would absolutely take her to the vet. No question about it. It may be heart burn. Have you tried giving her Prilosec? I forget the dosage. Ask your vet if you can try it. When Toker, my son's dog has had episodes of obsessive licking, she licks things though, not just the air. She licks the hard floor, carpeted floor and the air. I asked the vet about it and that's what he suggested. So, I gave her Prilosec and it stopped. It's happened on a few occasions, but not very often.

How long has this been going on? Can you notice any pattern...like what was she doing right before or a half hour before? Anyhow, it is not normal. She should be checked out by a vet. Hope something will be discovered and fixed.

If it's behavioral, is she getting plenty of stimulation and things to do? You mention being harsh with her to get her to stop. Dobermans are typically very, very sensitive psychologically and don't usually do well with any harshness. Of course, I don't really know what you mean. If she's getting a lot of reaction when she's doing this, it is possible to escalate it. If you can distract her, call her to go outside with you to play, does that help?

Well, anything is possible...there are many types of seizures and some are not very obvious at all. Teeth could possibly be bugging her. Heartburn, some sore in her mouth or on the roof of it. But it doesn't look very pleasant for her, so hopefully a vet can figure something out. Good luck.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
If it's behavioral, is she getting plenty of stimulation and things to do? You mention being harsh with her to get her to stop. Dobermans are typically very, very sensitive psychologically and don't usually do well with any harshness. Of course, I don't really know what you mean. If she's getting a lot of reaction when she's doing this, it is possible to escalate it. If you can distract her, call her to go outside with you to play, does that help?
Psst... she's a beauceron.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure she's not a doberman...

ETA: posted at same time

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
and Fozzie B!

Fozzie does that whenever he's nauseous. I've never seen a dog do it before, so it confused me at first, but then he'll go to the door and do it. I let him out and he ravenously eats grass, then he's good.

If she does it often I'd worry about her food giving her acid reflux or not quite agreeing with her tummy.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Oh, lol...I just didn't look carefully, just watched her face and tongue... thought maybe a mix. Sorry. Well, anyhow, you don't have to disregard my whole post on account of that, I hope. Whatever breed, that would disturb me enough have a vet check her out. (actually, as an aside, the Beauceron may have been one of the breeds used in the development of the Doberman) I believe their temperaments are similar aren't they...along with their body and head shape?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson