Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Blackout

Default Rebecca Carey - mauled to death by own dog(?)

What does everyone think of this piece of news?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/17...in-dog-attack/

It's abit obscure in detail for me to make much comment...it says she had a "friend's dog" with her at the time, perhaps something went wrong with that...?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Scary I can't think of many worse ways to go than being mauled.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
LABRADERP!

She was killed by the two Persa's. There is a girl on another forum that knew her :/
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

so sad
Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm All Ears

I read somewhere that they didn't know which dog killed her. I think it's very tragic either way.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong for thinking this but I think that's a LOT of things to stack up against yourself- 5 powerful dogs of breeds of which all breeds are known to have some degree of DA/SSA, all males (at least one pit and the two presas are males for sure, but something I read said all dogs were male), one non-resident dog (presa), all dogs in the house and not segregated at all (assuming so if they couldn't tell which had killed her that they were all together)... and just one person to separate them if anything went wrong.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Felurian

You're right, Laur. Very, very bad judgment. And a huge tragedy, one that Dogsbite.org is bound to make 1000X worse. Her family is going through enough without having their personal tragedy turned into propaganda.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 PM
APBT crazy!

I have actually known Rebecca for a long time online and she was a wonderful person, friend, and, rescuer. This was unfortunate and I really miss her. Maybe she was trying to break up the fight between the Presa's and they redirected on her? She worked with various breeds, even the bigger ones. Her APBT was a registered therapy dog, so I doubt that dog had anything to do with biting her. I read that her friend in person thought she fell and hit her head trying to break up the dog fight. Super sad about this one as I knew her very well and just got back in touch with her. May she rest in peace. :'(
Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Squishy face

From KC Dog Blog (http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogbl....html#comments)

Quote:
Rebecca Carey was a 23 year old woman in Decatur, GA and was found dead, apparently attacked by dogs in her home.

Carey was a rescuer and worked at a veterinary clinic. She had four dogs of her own and was pet sitting a fifth dog for the weekend. Carey owned a pit bull, a Presa Canario, a boxer and one other dog (which strangely isn't mentioned in most of the articles but apparently weighed about 15 lbs) -- and was pet sitting a friend's Presa Canario.

Authorities unfortunately euthanized all the dogs at the home without any effort to determine which one(s) were involved and what may have caused the death. Carey is described as a "Very experienced" dog handler and not naive when it came to dogs. Unfortunately, without any investigation at the scene, we're left with little to determine a cause of attack.

Without anything more, the cause in this attack is merely speculative. It would seem that two of the dogs getting into a fight and her getting into the middle of it is the most likely scenario (particularly with a new dog in the house for the weekend), but even with that, none of the news articles seem to indicate if any of the dogs were injured in any way.

It really is a horrible situation, and I feel sorry for everyone close to Carey. It's a sad moment for someone who obviously had a caring heart and passion for animals.

The story has picked up by more than 150 news outlets including many national news outlets.
Just a sad situation with senseless death all around. I guess since its "just dogs" its easier to just kill 'em all then to actually investigate.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM
BusterLove

Like Laur said, there were some risks by the sound of it.
I didn't know her, her dogs or the real story though.
Terribly sad for everyone involved.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

Wow, so young, so tragic. RIP