Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Default Questions for bully & APBTA 'type' owners

as many know, I am a big time cattle dog lover, but I have had & would love to experience & help other breeds as well (i just have always 'happened' to end up with ACDs lol) but in the future, i would like to rescue either from a rescue or shelter, a pit bull or pit bull type, but i know they can have DA issues & sam sex aggression issues (I have both males & females in my dog family) if i do this would be the best sex to get? & could i even do it at all

this is in the future by a few yrs mind you.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:30 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
as many know, I am a big time cattle dog lover, but I have had & would love to experience & help other breeds as well (i just have always 'happened' to end up with ACDs lol) but in the future, i would like to rescue either from a rescue or shelter, a pit bull or pit bull type, but i know they can have DA issues & sam sex aggression issues (I have both males & females in my dog family) if i do this would be the best sex to get? & could i even do it at all

this is in the future by a few yrs mind you.
I would recommend getting whichever sex you prefer to spend the most one on one time with, since that is what you'll be doing in the event that the APBT turns out to be DA. Bitch fights tend, as a general rule, to be nastier than fights between males, but honestly there really isn't a fight involving an APBT that won't involve some damage unless you make a habit of supervising your dogs and (just as importantly) having the proper education and tools to deal with a fight if or when it happens.

Could you do it? Sure, if you have a thick skin and are prepared to meet the unique demands of owning the breed.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My females are a lot more dog tolerant than my males. My males tend to look for a fight, my females tend to avoid it.

Be prepared for rotating, be vigilant with supervising, and truly evaluate what is drawing you to this type of dog.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My females are a lot more dog tolerant than my males. My males tend to look for a fight, my females tend to avoid it.
LOL I've personally experienced the complete opposite. Most of the bitches I've owned have wanted to kill each other at a glance, both when I kept gamebred dogs and even now with a couple of the show bred dogs. I've had a few males like that in my lifetime but most weren't as bad. But then again, I don't like to own males and most of my dogs have been bitches, so that skews the stats a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Be prepared for rotating, be vigilant with supervising, and truly evaluate what is drawing you to this type of dog.
I agree, especially with the last part. Not necessarily referring to the OP, but there are a lot of inexperienced people who mean well, but at best have romanticized ideas of adopting and owning a rescue Pit Bull, simply because there are so many out there in need of rescuing. APBTs really are a breed that most of the average pet owning population probably should not own.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
I would recommend getting whichever sex you prefer to spend the most one on one time with, since that is what you'll be doing in the event that the APBT turns out to be DA. Bitch fights tend, as a general rule, to be nastier than fights between males, but honestly there really isn't a fight involving an APBT that won't involve some damage unless you make a habit of supervising your dogs and (just as importantly) having the proper education and tools to deal with a fight WHEN it happens.

Could you do it? Sure, if you have a thick skin and are prepared to meet the unique demands of owning the breed.
there, fixed it for you
Old 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
there, fixed it for you
Didn't really need fixing. "If or when" was pretty accurate. There is... occasionally... an APBT so cold that it will never engage another dog regardless of the circumstance it's put in. That said, the only time an APBT owner can ever say "my dog will never get into a fight" is after the dog has already passed, without ever getting into a fight. Otherwise, it's unhealthy to think (as so many seem to do) that you can just "be positive" or wish the DA away, and assume it'll never happen.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

your apbt might never START a fight, doesn't mean it'll never wind up in one. this is especially true if you're doing rescue w/ multiple dogs of unknown or questionable background.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
your apbt might never START a fight, doesn't mean it'll never wind up in one. this is especially true if you're doing rescue w/ multiple dogs of unknown or questionable background.
Psst, pretty sure we're on the same page, doesn't need to be an argument.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Erhh.. Yeah...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Psst, pretty sure we're on the same page, doesn't need to be an argument.
just saying i think people should view the fight as inevitable as it might make them more careful and less likely to get sucked into the "not my dog" mentality.