Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Blackout

Default Recommendations for my bro please

What would you guys recommend for my brother? He wants a dog of his "own" (Katalin has NEVER been handled by him, blows him off completely - and beside the point he doesn't like big dogs).

He had his heart completely set on a female Norwich terrier puppy. I shouted him down about not getting a female for Katalin's sake (I don't want any bitch fights or blood drawn in their maturity) or a terrier - explaining that they have extremely high drives, nearly inexhaustible energy levels, and are ALOT of dog to handle. He will not be dissuaded about getting his own puppy soon though - but has conceded to another non-terrier type - it's still going to be a female though...

I've explained that this is NOT the time to be bringing a puppy home with Katalin not even at a year old yet nor fully trained either. He will NOT be convinced otherwise and I've got a feeling we will be expecting a new member of the family quite soon.... Oh well, let's make the best of it then.

He wants something:

Playful yet un-hyper
Health issue free (relatively)
Lap/bed ornament like
Very affectionate/cuddly
Something that doesn't require a huge amount of work to be a good pet
Very eager to please/can learn tricks quickly

I've recommended miniature Aussies, mini American Eskimos, PW corgi, low-drive Papillion, low-drive Maltese, toy poodle, or Coton. I realize the options I've listed don't exactly fit the criteria to a tee but my brother is irresponsible, immature and will ultimately leave alot of the work to my and my parents. So these are all small dogs that I could stand having on walks/training sessions with Katalin and that I could return to him for his cuddles/tricks/whatever after the "work" they require to keep them sane and under control is completed.

Anyone have any further suggestions or tips?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

a big stick to whack your brother upside the head with?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Does it have to be small? What about a greyhound?

Or the local shelter special of the week, something low key? Maybe bring him down to the shelter and check the dogs out.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
a big stick to whack your brother upside the head with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
...He wants something:

Playful yet un-hyper
Health issue free (relatively)
Lap/bed ornament like
Very affectionate/cuddly
Something that doesn't require a huge amount of work to be a good petVery eager to please/can learn tricks quickly
Not to sound snarky or anything, but a stuffed dog would be my suggestion. Especially after reading the bolded part.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I really wouldn't recommend a mini Aussie, a Corgi, or an American Eskimo. Without getting thebright dog from the right lines, he's likely to end up with a hyperactive, neurotic mess. Aussies aren't easy dogs by any means, Corgis tend to have DA/reaction issues, and every ill bred Eskie I've met has been insane.

First thing that popped into my head was a Cavilier King Charles, but they have health issues. An Italian Greyhound, but they are very difficult to housebreak. Smal toy breeds - poodle, Maltese, bichon, Shih Tzu, etc. They are happy enough dogs that it would be hard to really screw them up...of course, training and socialization is still super important to avoid issues, but they're happier fulfilling a pet role than other breeds and don't typically need an experienced handiler.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Any dog that is going to be easy to train/willing to please is most likely never going to be a "bed ornament". Aussies, Eskie's, Papillons and Corgis should probably be crossed off that list quickly.

I would also recommend a stuffed animal. Or maybe a goldfish.

But if this is going to happen either way.... Pugs tend to be good family pets, and enjoy being active when they can be, or just lounging around the house if they have to. Shihtzu's tend to be playful enough, yet pretty low energy. Japanese Chin, Pekingese?

Of course, ANY dog should get some form of exercise, and attention, and need training. But these are just breeds that came to mind for maybe not as high maintenance, and would be happy just being a house pet.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm All Ears

I would definitely say no to a MAS or a papillon if you're looking for something 'not hyper' and 'that doesn't need much work'. MAS can be a lot of dog and my papillons are all very needy dogs who tend to get labelled as 'hyper' by most people that meet them.

Eskies and corgis are not what comes to mind either.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I would reccomend a Shih-Tzu. Every one I've ever met is very calm, and good with other dogs.

Disclaimer: I did have one that fought with my other dogs so we had to rehome her, but later we came to the conclusion that one of our other dogs was starting it, because they ended up fighting amongst each other as well. So yes, they did fight (and she was bigger/stronger than my two tiny Yorkies) but not because she started it.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
...But if this is going to happen either way.... Pugs tend to be good family pets, and enjoy being active when they can be, or just lounging around the house if they have to. Shihtzu's tend to be playful enough, yet pretty low energy. Japanese Chin, Pekingese?

Of course, ANY dog should get some form of exercise, and attention, and need training. But these are just breeds that came to mind for maybe not as high maintenance, and would be happy just being a house pet.
But they are high maintenance- Shihs, Chins and Pekes need regular grooming to prevent mats, etc. And they all can have issues with the heat, especially Pugs and Pekes. The OP stated her brother is irresponsible, immature, so I doubt he'd want to deal with any of that.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

What about a greyhound or a whippet? Although I will echo what others have said, your brother sounds like he should have a stuffed dog instead.