Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Seriously upset that "Would Have" isn't up. I searched the blog for it... I'm excited to read it.

Great writing. As Renee said, I love the imagery and the connection with the character. You've got talent.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 AM
Blackout

Wow I look forward to that! Hope you will sign my copy of it =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I've got a couple in the works -- one's a pure fantasy novel, the other's a hybrid, The Black Dog Dialogues. It started out as a short story, meant to be part of an anthology with another novella that's ready for final editing and a couple of other short stories, but the thing has a life of its own and is already over 40,000 words and still building.

There may have to be a second BDD to accommodate the other novella (which may get expanded; several of the writers in my group have been hounding me to do that) and the short stories.
Meagan,

Thanks so much! glad you're enjoying it so far. "Would have" is undergoing a few tweaks - will be up presently =)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Felurian

Absolutely

The amount of research that goes into a story is surprising. I've been using old truckers' atlases, mapping, and managed to find a map of the US Interstate highway system as it was in 1970. Black Dog hasn't been anything at all like what I had planned in my head, not setting, characters, POV, content, LENGTH . . . nothing.

My family will NOT be given copies to read. They'd be appalled and scandalized, not that I care, and that's the way the story took itself. Honestly, compared to the other things I write, I was a little freaked out with it at first.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Blackout

My family will not be given samples of my work to read either - regardless of if it ever gets published or not lol. They too would be really appalled to read something from my macabre, edgy, semi-Atheist (still on the fence 60/40 on that one) POV. I don't give much of a flying sh!t about them anymore needless to say but yah, don't need another altercation with them either. I was idealized to be a peaches-and-cream, pretty itty bitty, docile and obedient, god-fearing filial little girl....and look how all that turned out lol.

Black Dog sounds really intriguing! I've not really been into that much Americana but this sounds great (along with Psycho USA which is on my reading list).

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Felurian

I got started with it after re-reading some of the old dog articles I'd written before and looking at the research, specifically the ones about black dog mythologies. They're everywhere. Throughout the world, throughout time. Oddly one of the most intriguing aspects is the Black Dog of the American truck driver. I've talked to guys who have told me some hair raising stories about "seeing the black dog."

But there are other mysteries in it, too.

Like Gwen.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Blackout

Ah - Black shuck/The Hound of Baskerville =D

I didn't know he existed (or at least a version of him) in American culture.

I quite love the tale of the Welsh demon-hound Cwn Annwn. I could use a few of those guys for the holidays when the house gets invaded by unscrupulous relations (caught a younger male cousin of mine from my mom's side sniffing my underwear INSIDE my room once after coming home from shopping). Know of a reputable breeder?

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Felurian

The Black Dog is everywhere

Romy's doing the cover art for me. Brutus (Filarotten's late, dark brindle Fila -- he was spectacular) is the Black Dog.

The Cwn Annwn make an appearance in a longish poem (I think there are going to be two more parts) I wrote, Oubliette.

Oubliette

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian