Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

That seems like a great set-up Cali. Anything that can get the dog into a situation where it can be very well evaluated goes a long way towards helping the process. We have a group in our area that literally just posts pictures of the dogs along with whatever the southern shelter tells them (and I've got to think that, for the most part, those people are so over worked and the shelters so crowded that good evaluation must be difficult), and people adopt based on that. From what I've heard, they are also not nice about people returning the dogs to them.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
On second thought...

I know what you are talking about, because both my dogs are transports. Cameron is from Georgia, and I think Duncan is from Alabama, or something like that.

The thing is, there are more potential adopters in New England than there are dogs.

There are more dogs in the South than there are potential adopters.

So "the South" ships their dogs up here, where we adopt them. In fact, the shelter I volunteer at is like in the top 5 shelters of NE for adopting out dogs, and we get a ton of transport dogs (a transport dog's average stay is around 5-7 days before being adopted). Our shelter brings them up first, and then people meet and adopt.

Generally, on petfinder, you see a profile you like, adopt the dog, and then the dog gets shipped up to New England. They are listed as being somewhere in NE so that people in NE will find their profiles. If they aren't listed in NE, people in NE likely won't see them, won't adopt them, and the flow from "the South" to NE will slow down, meaning less dogs will be pulled.

Clearer info on where a dog is on its petfinder page would help resolve the issue. Petfinder's new policy is going to do more harm than good.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Our shelter has been doing blind adoptions for 4 years now. In that time, I think there have been a handful of failures, which is sucky, but it happens. We do have contacts in CT, who will take in a dog whose owners need it gone immeadiatly, if not, we'll be back in a month or so and will always take our babies back, no questions.

Of course, we go out of our way to be honest about them, because we don't need someone standed 15 hours from home in a placement that hates them, but it goes pretty well.

We use 1800saveapet instead of petfinder, because our physical shelter uses petfinder, and we can not be posted in two locations.

I think the biggers issue is that people just don't read. Our first page clearly states that we are physically located in one state, but transport to others, and probably every third person is confused about it.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
There are rescues up here that don't have a single dog in new england but adopt nearly all of their dogs to new england residents, their adoption rates are going to plummet and they will not be able to pull nearly as many dogs from the high kill shelters where they acquire them. I feel that petfinder is going against what they stand for by doing this, they are going to make it harder for dogs to get adopted.
So I'm writing this in hopes that those of you who agree could maybe send an e-mail to petfinder about the issue and see if we can get them to change their mind. It's sad to think of how many dogs won't get homes because of this, I wouldn't have Tucker that's for sure. I have no problems with them asking for the real locations of the dogs to be more obvious, in parentheses after the name of the dog or something, but to forbid them from being listed at all is only going to harm the animals.

The Southern rescue with which I am affiliated is facing this now. Although we had advertised the dogs in the Northeast on Petfinder, we had always explained about the transport and current location of the dogs in the body of the text. Since we have been unable to post our southern dogs on Petfinder in the PA area, our adoption rate has, indeed, plummeted. July 2010 - 21 adopted; July 2011 - 6 adopted. Every month has been like this and you are correct in that we are not able to pull nearly as many dogs from the high-kill facility, and this is the real tragedy - that there is actually a market for these dogs which are dying needlessly but we are prevented from accessing that market. We are, of course, using other pet adoption websites which do allow us to post in various areas, but Petfinder is the Gold Standard of pet adoption on the web. Petfinder does allow for a 'scroller' to highlight all the dogs available on the individual rescue's homepage, but with none of our dogs coming up on a PA search, that's pretty useless to us.
I'm so frustrated, I don't know where else to go with this....
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Active Pup

Sadly, the rescue with which I am affiliated is dealing with this now. Since we have been unable to post our southern dogs on Petfinder in the Pennsylvania area, our adoptions have, indeed, plummeted. In July 2011, we placed and transported 21 dogs to PA and surrounding states. In July 2011, only 3. The tragedy is that dogs are dying needlessly...needlessly because there is a market for them in this area which, without Petfinder's cooperation, we are unable to access. We do make use of the other pet adoption websites, but we don't get nearly the results that Petfinder afforded us. So sad.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I was confused by this old thread lol

Question - couldn't you just get a rescue in the area (in your case, PA) to do a courtesy listing for you? I see that all the time...

The just list all of your information and have nothing to do with it,really. I had a rescue do that for me as well, several years back.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o