Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Recurring yeasty rash

I posted early in the winter about this beautiful rash Juno was sporting on her abdomen:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...r/6847a6d8.jpg

I'm just assuming it's a yeast infection.

We got it cleared up the first time with antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory, and Gentaved spray. It went away but then a few weeks later came back, and my friend who's dog always has skin infections, said that I could use the Gentaved spray on it again. So I did. And it went away. And then it came back... lather, rinse, repeat a hundred times.

The rash is back at the moment and I'm bringing her to work with me tomorrow to have it looked at. But what are they going to do? Send me home with more antibiotics? That would be fine and dandy but I know it's just going to come back... I don't want to just keep treating the symptom and pumping her full of antibiotics, I want to know WHY this stupid thing keeps resurfacing and what I can do to get rid of it for good.

Ideally I would put her on raw and see what happens but that's not going to happen while I still live at home. My parents allow the cat to be on raw because he'd pretty much be dead otherwise, but this rash is not going to kill Juno lol. Although coincidentally, the first time this rash showed up was a couple weeks after she was taken off raw and put back on kibble.

It's just.... argh. It looks gross and ouchy and she's noticeably annoyed by it too. Maybe I will have to invest in some Vetericyn because I'd feel better spraying that on her all the time instead of using an antibiotic/steroid spray.

Thoughts? Advice?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Nomi's underside looked just like that and it was staph. We determined her rash was initially caused by allergies and turned into staph because her body simply couldn't fight it. She is now on Benadryl daily and we clean her belly daily and make sure she is never left wet, etc. I also have a stronger allergy medicine I can give her if needed to get it back under control.

Could it be allergies and it's just more than her body can fight off? Are you giving her anything for allergies? Does it bother her?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Honestly I would go back to raw. If the kibble is giving her a rash, then it could be doing all kinds of things that you don't see. Not to mention that chronic rashes can hurt and drive a person insane let alone a dog. A rash is the first sign that the immune system is out of wack and that can lead to far more serious issues, including bone marrow disorders.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 AM
such sights to show you

If it's caused by allergies (which is common), simply bathing her a couple of times a week may help a lot in preventing it from coming back. Allergies to things like pollen or molds in dogs used to be thought of as inhaled allergies like in people, but it's now known that for dogs they are more like contact allergies and physically washing the allergens off helps tremendously for dogs with mild problems. The shampoo doesn't really matter that much as long as it is as "plain" as possible (no fancy scents) although personally I have had good success with Douxo's Calm shampoo with Pip.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Try fish oil pills and Claritin. Violet has been taking both along with a raw diet and her yeasty skin infection completely went away. It's definitely worth a try IMO! Violet was having to be on constant steroids before we tried this, and as soon as she was off of them it would come back. Nothing else worked til we tried these things.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Classic has awful reoccurring skin infections and we normally do the antibiotic route. I really don't think his is food related as he's on raw and we have done a ton of food trials. I'm going to start bathing him at least once a week and see if that helps because I'm really thinking it's an environmental allergy.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
orange iguanas.

I originally thought it might be food related but I didn't want to jump and say it was kibble related.... she can't go back on raw and I quite honestly know that a food trial would never be successful in this house. But I'm starting to think it's probably not food related.

It does bother her. The first time it appeared it didn't seem like she minded it (if I hadn't actually seen the rash, I never would have thought she was paying an unusual amount of attention to her belly), but I do notice now that yeah, whenever it crops up she licks and chews at it a lot.

She's not on any medications for allergies or otherwise, but she does have a pretty "delicate" system to begin with - in the summer she pretty frequently ends up covered in hives after she's been rolling in the grass or whatnot. We'll give her Benadryl then but haven't used it as a preventative.

I guess we'll see what the vet thinks, and then try bathing and keeping it clean to see if that helps prevent it from coming back.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

What cleaning products, detergents, etc do you use? Anything change there?

I know of a dog on another forum that had a reoccurring staph infection they traced to a corn allergy. Put him on raw and he still got it, then she realized Fabreeze has corn gluten in it and she had been spraying carpeting, his bed, couches, etc with it. She stopped using and he got better
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
such sights to show you

Seriously, the bathing has done wonders for Pip. He gets allergy shots, too, which have helped him tremendously but I used to have to put him on a short course of pred +/- antibiotics a handful of times over the summer/fall and this year, despite being an awful allergy year in general, I've given him pred exactly once for only two days. Raw didn't help his allergies at all (he's been allergy tested anyway so we know he has environmental allergies) and he actually did quite poorly on it, so he is on kibble and his allergies are better controlled this year than maybe ever just by adding the bathing at least once a week.

If you end up thinking it is allergies, there are a few herbal formulas I've had good luck with, too, if you want to avoid antihistamines or steroids. Kan's Damp Heat Derma and HerbSmith's Clear AllerQi are the two I've used myself.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
orange iguanas.

Can't think of anything around the house that's changed. Bedding has always been washed with the same detergent.... general cleaning stuff has been pretty consistent. But I've been doing that, trying to think what changed or what happened that she'd all of a sudden have this issue.

The bathing was one thing the vet mentioned last time we were in - but she mentioned it in a "if the antibiotics/sray don't work, then we can try shampoos" kind of way - and technically the abs and spray DID work, they just didn't stop it from never coming back again lol. I know we carry Duoxo products at work, kind of minimally, so I don't know if we'll have the shampoo, but we'll see. Otherwise all the shampoos I have for them are very froo-froo heavily scented shampoos lol. My friend has been seeing a holistic vet for her dog's issues, he has a chronic staph infection basically, and she was told to try bathing him in Dreft? What do you think about that?

I'll look into those herbal formulas too. Thanks! I'm not against using meds to clear up the rash, I just don't want her to be on them all the time since the rash keeps coming back.

I love picking your guys' brains so that I'm not clueless about all my options