Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Island dweller

I missed the pic because as soon as he saw me he bounded down the hall to tell me he was locked out. And to jump up on me and whine.

Mikey has lots of 'us' time. He actually is on the bed a lot more than maverick. Under the covers sometimes. Maverick's so big and permanently wet it just doesn't work all the time. I'm leaving for a week and when I get back I'll play with Mikey lots. seems the more attention he gets the more he wants! I've never seen him try to 'get away'
Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

Aww, I love Mikey!
As a big softy, I thought he might enjoy a little extra attention for all he's going through. But of course you already do that. (After my last boy's neutering experience, we went straight to MacDonalds and split our favorite ice cream! It may not have made a lot of sense in his little brain, but it made me feel better!)
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Island dweller

LOL Mikey had liver (which he didn't like at all) chicken gizzards (which he didn't like) yogurt (which he loved) soup bones (which he loved) and then just today he snuck an empty can of creamed corn off the table and licked it clean. What a goof!

Now he's playing out in the yard with Maverick. He may be tied up but he has a looonngggg lead. I think it's about 40 feet. Steve has it tied up so he can almost reach the driveway but not quite. And we sit on the side of the house where we can here him whine when he gets tied up.

I just went out to check on them cuz Maverick is still wet (of course) but he HAD to go outside. They feel so good after a bath. Don't you think that song "I feel good na na na na na" is perfect for after a bath? Well, I don't mind him being outside because it's not quite freezing and he's still moving so I'm not too worried. I'll bring them both in in a minute.

THe story I'm slowly getting at is Mikey was at the far end of the rope and didn't recognize me at first. He gave a woof and started running towards me. Of course he recognized me but it made me think how people who are afraid of dogs could be intimidated by him. He's a very muscular dog! And when he reached me he was practically running on his back legs because he was wanting to stretch up onto my chest and give me a real greeting. It must suck for them to always be talking to our ... hips. I guess that's why they jump up on us all the time.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Felurian

ROFL! What an observation, Saje! But you know, they may not really mind 'talking to our hips' as you put it, since their favorite greeting is a butt-sniff!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Island dweller

I had thought of that but they don't have butt conversations either like ace ventura! it's just a friendly sniff and then wag wag wag-butt jiggle-chew on ear- or hump hump hump LOL
Old 02-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Felurian

Kharma and Shiva have been going through a weird spell for the last three weeks or so. Kharma's been in the throes of false pregnancy, so she's had Bimmer's dedicated interest. The part that's been hard on her though, is that Shiva, SHIVA kept humping her! Kharma would just sit down and turn her head and snark at Shiva, or cry for me to yell at Shiva to leave her alone. That seems to be over now - finally - and Kharma's probably more relieved than any of us, except maybe Bimmer, but the other day Shiva started to take something away from Kharma, who promptly got up, walked behind Shiva and started humping her! I think that was a statement more than anything else, lol. The look on Shiva's face! ROFL!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Island dweller

LOL That's so funny. My female cat used to hump my male rabbit. He just looked kind of bewildered and put up with it.

(I'm at my parents now so will not be posting as much for the next few days)
Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Island dweller

Ok. Remember how I mentioned that Maverick has been growling to keep Mikey out of the bedroom at sleepy time? Well, apparently he didn't do that the whole time I was away. And then the night I was back he was doing it again.

And Steve let Mikey sleep in the bed while I was away and he's been letting him sleep in 'his' chair (I think he has two or three) and Mikey has been a LOT more mellow now. He doesn't wake up as early if he can crawl in bed with us and he's quite content to watch us out of the way in his(?) chair.

I know that ideally he would have to get permission to sleep in the bed and on the chair. Is this bad? Because it seems to work. Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

I know this might sound silly, but I'll say it anyhow. I've done it both ways with lots of different dogs, and I honestly have found that those allowed in bed or on a particular couch or chair or on all the couches are more content in general. I'm now at the point where there are critters decorating most of my furniture! I think they really appreciate what they think of as one of the ultimate privileges of family-hood--sharing the furniture. And I think my attitude toward them is different, as well. It's more a relationship of emotional equality, and an acknowledgment of their conciousness and "humanity". I think they really pick up on our feelings about them, and this sort of privilege takes some social tension away. Of course, if they start thinking that maybe the couch is theirs to defend, then we have to have a little talk. But mostly I find that watching TV is way more fun through the back of a dog's head.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Island dweller

That is a good explanation. I think that's exactly how Mikey feels. He happily hops up on the furniture now with kind of a funny look on his face. Maybe he's wondering if it's too good to be true and he's going to get the boot. (metaphorical boot).

If he gets aggressive then we will have to deal with that then. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

Thanks!